What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Mona Lisa, boy and mom

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments A boy's mom kidnaps him or takes him away from his dad, and the Mona Lisa was involved somehow.
Definitely a children's book.
Not much to go on... help appreciated!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments Perhaps you are thinking of Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett.

Eleven year old Petra and Calder may be in the same sixth grade class, but they barely know each other. It's only after a near collision during a museum field trip that they discover their shared worship of art, their teacher Ms. Hussey, and the blue candy that doesn't melt in your hands. Their burgeoning friendship is strengthened when a creative thief steals a valuable Vermeer painting en route to Chicago, their home town. When the thief leaves a trail of public clues via the newspaper, Petra and Calder decide to try and recover the painting themselves. But tracking down the Vermeer isn't easy, as Calder and Petra try to figure out what a set of pentominos (mathematical puzzle pieces), a mysterious book about unexplainable phenomena and a suddenly very nervous Ms. Hussey have to do with a centuries old artwork. When the thief ups the ante by declaring that he or she may very well destroy the painting, the two friends know they have to make the pieces of the puzzle fit before it's too late!

Calder is also receiving messages in code from his friend who moved away, Tommy, who has been kidnapped by his dad.

message 3: by Darg (last edited Mar 25, 2009 04:49PM) (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments I really don't think that's it... I've read that (and all of its sequels) but the book I'm thinking of doesn't have that kind of feel...

It may be an E.L. Konigsburg book... I'll check tomorrow at the library.

message 5: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments That may be it... I'll read it tomorrow and see... does that mean this should go into POSSIBLY SOLVED?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Andalee, It's up to you. You can wait if you want and if it's the book you can then put it in solved.

The POSSIBLY SOLVED folder was created because some posters never return to say whether the suggested books are correct, but sometimes it's really obvious the right book title(s) were found so then the moderators can put those threads in possibly solved. Unless the original poster comes back and verifies it's the book I won't put those threads in any of the solved folders.

message 7: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments oh, okay. I'll leave it here for a couple more days, then. Thanks for explaining.

message 8: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments couldn't find the book... I'll try and find it.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
The Second Mrs. Giaconda by Konigsburg is about the Mona Lisa.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Margret, are you still looking for this book? Was it "Father's Arcane Daughter?"

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
No response, moving to Abandoned.