The Next Best Book Club discussion

Fun and Games > Who are the readers?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 24, 2009 05:32PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have no idea where to put this, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere exactly. (Lori, please move this if you think it more appropriate in another folder.)

Another thread made me think of Daisy, sister to Hyacinth in the British comedy "Keeping Up Appearances." Daisy loved her romance novels. We rarely saw her without her book, she was constantly reading, was thrilled with what she read.

What other characters either in TV/movies or in books were also bookworms?

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Jerusha Abbot from Daddy Long Legs

message 3: by El (new)

El Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls is one of the biggest bookworms I've seen on the screen, and a wonderful character all the way around. I've been inspired to read several books that were mentioned by her character on the show, or that you see in passing. In fact, there's a website devoted to all of the books referenced in the show. (Yet another list for me to try to accomplish, dangit!)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Thanks, El. A nice list.

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Fiona wrote: "... and falls in love with a violin-maker. (What are violin makers called?)..."

luthier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luthier

Haven't seen Gilmore Girls... will research!!

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
Sawyer and Ben from LOST. Sawyer is more often than not seen sitting on the beach or Otherville with a book in his hand and those purdy glasses of his on.

Ben, when he was kidnapped, and also when he lived in Otherville, was either seen reading, OR was surrounded with books on shelves.

There is actually a list of all books that have appeared on LOST (as well as books that were referenced to, whether through title names, or converations)..... Its the Lost Lit List :)

message 7: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments El, Rory is the first character that came to my mind as well. I loved when she took a book with her to the formal dance.

Oh Hayes, Gilmore Girls is the best show! You should try out the DVDs of the first season.

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Rory was the first one I thought of too. There's a Rory Gilmore book club here on goodreads-it's a great group! I actually joined it before I had ever watched an episode of Gilmore Girls because they were always reading such great books. After being in the group for a year or so I finally started watching the show and now I'm hooked.

message 9: by Jamie (last edited Mar 25, 2009 04:59AM) (new)

Jamie Another Gilmore Girls fan here! Rory is the ultimate reader.

More Readers:
Catherine Morland - Northanger Abbey
Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice
Hermione Granger - Harry Potter
Bella Swan - Twilight
Helene Hanff - 84, Charing Cross Road & The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street
Juliet Ashton - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

message 10: by Emilly R (new)

Emilly R (rosario0829e) | 198 comments Hi Fiona ,i love Keeping up Apperances,and,the suffering neighbor Elizabeth

message 12: by Jill (last edited Mar 28, 2009 08:06PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Bernard Black from the TV show Black Books. He owns a bookstore, for pete's sake! He's an all around addict, books included.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Margaret Lea from "The Thirteenth Tale".
Leisel Meminger from "The Book Thief".
Jo March from "Little Women".
Mr. Norrell from "JS&MN".

I miss watching The Gilmore Girls! I'm going to have to start getting the seasons of that show.

message 15: by Ananya (last edited Mar 30, 2009 01:06AM) (new)

Ananya (sowmyas) | 849 comments I don't remember the character's name(Jamal?) in 'Finding Forrester' a movie with Sean Connery in the lead role .

message 16: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 332 comments Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

message 17: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments JG wroteScout from To Kill a Mockingbird
Swede from Peace Like a River

Great picks JG!
Both of them are wonderful novels. I thought about Scout too when I read the topic.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) Francie Nolan in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

message 19: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Dorothy Zbornak on Golden Girls.

message 20: by gina~* (new)

gina~* One the kids in Lemony Snickett is a reader, the girl I think

message 21: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (sowmyas) | 849 comments Grace wrote: "Dorothy Zbornak on Golden Girls. "

This is good one. I still remember a restaurant that had a creative menu 'Edgar Allan Poe..tatoes'etc. . It was a good show.

message 22: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Michael Berg, the young lover in

The Reader - Bernhard Schlink

message 23: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 52 comments Rupert Giles, the librarian in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

message 25: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Sowmya wrote: "Grace wrote: "Dorothy Zbornak on Golden Girls. "

This is good one. I still remember a restaurant that had a creative menu 'Edgar Allan Poe..tatoes'etc. . It was a good show."

I would love to go to a restaurant like that!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth I immediately thought of Rory too. I adore that show, recently bought all the series on DVD - yummy! And now I'm going to look for the Rory club here.

Spencer Reid from criminal minds - he can read an entire book in 10 minutes

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) In the The Catcher in the Rye Holden remembers Jane Gallagher as being a bookworm.

message 29: by L (new)

L (audinosbiitch) I think that the Hermione(from Harry Potter 1-2or3)is kinda a bookworm, though it never mentions it. She sorta changes in the later books.

message 30: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 646 comments Tatyana Larina from Eugene Onegin: a Novel in Verse was an avid reader.

Alice Blackwell from American Wife read lots of books too.