Writers Wanted!!! discussion

Poetry

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank (BARD) | 9 comments I have frequently seen poems posted by people who tend to skip the 'traditional' forms in favor of a simpler form. For example using Free or Blank verse which is acceptable, but no where near the challenge of writing say...a sonnet.

I personally think it a bit lazy to not use punctuation and a diservice to yourself as well. Part of the challenge of Poetry is to create within a structured form. It also keeps your prose more honest.

You would not want to write a story without punctuation, so why poetry?

~Frank

message 2: by Silvia (last edited Jan 13, 2008 12:26PM) (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) i disagree with frank. poetry is a different thing from stories or other writing, it takes more interpretation and the wording is a serious concept. when i punctuate my poems, i use commas only so the reader may read it the way i do. use the punctuation to add feeling, not to be technically correct.

my seventh grade english teacher (who was a bit off her rocker) said that the reason people enjoy english so much is because there is always a way to break the rules, always an exception. i once started a paper with the phrase "because i mean if you think" and recieved top marks. this is your poem, so do what you think fit.

message 3: by Frank (last edited Jan 14, 2008 06:03AM) (new)

Frank (BARD) | 9 comments I disagree, Diana.

Wording is a serious concept in Prose as well as Poetry. It is just that (because of its structure) there is more discipline involved in writing good Poetry.

But I do remind you that Punctuation is not just there for technical purposes; it is there as a tool to "clarify meaning". When used correctly, it enhances the feeling and in no way restricts it. In fact, quite the opposite occurs when you mis-use it. Using just commas, Diana, means you are creating a big run-on sentence. At some point you have to have a Period or two to keep it from running together.

The idea that Punctuation restricts feeling is wrong. For example; if you were to substitute a (!) for a comma, it would change the feel or meaning of your stanza. Again it is not there just to be technical. Try reading the Gettysburg address with only commas...I think you get my point.

Any good Editor will tell you that Punctution (the mis-use or lack of it) can make the difference between a creation that sells and a thousand wannabes.

Writing (particularly in the classic forms teaches you rythmn, rhyme and meter. It forces you to make each word not only count for meaning, but also to flow within a pattern. The benefits to your prose should be obvious.

No offence,Diana, but too many people call themselves 'Poets' because they throw together lines that 'feel' to them Poetic. (I have not seen your work so I am not commenting on you here) but if you look objectively at the stuff that is posted on Poetry forums, I think you will have little trouble finding examples. Other's I've come across see Poetry only in the rhymes of RAP. There are many variations to explore.

I highly recommmend for anyone serious about writing good Poetry to purchase and read Clement Wood's RHYMING DICTIONARY - the best work out there on the rules and structures of poetry.

I fully agree that expression is a matter of choice, but Punctuation is there for a reason.

message 4: by Aumee (last edited Jan 14, 2008 06:24AM) (new)

Aumee | 2 comments I completey agree with Frank. Punctuation is what gives shape to any writing. In the case of poetry, its even more important because poets hide their true meanings within the words of the poems, and one misplaced comma could change the meaning of an entire piece or destroy it altogether.
By the way, Frank i think you have the makeings of an excellent critic(if you aren't one already)
I love for you to comment on my writing, so if you ever get the time, i'd love for you to check out some of my stuff.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 5 comments I too agree with Frank, though I think that minimizing punctuation (not getting rid of it) can give a piece a very distinctive feel too.

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (aliceinlove) | 32 comments Mod
Sorry but I'm against you on this one frank. Punctuation is there for a reason but it's mostly for stories and books. Poetry is and has been the exception ever since it's been created. That's why there are so many styles. Poetry is very diverse so punctuation is optional

J-Lynn Van Pelt I always viewed punctuation in poems as reading cues. I put in a comma or period if I want the reader to pause for effect.