Runs with scissors discussion

general topic > Books we have loathed or hated with a passion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited Apr 01, 2009 02:14PM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
I recently added a book shelf called "books I'm sorry I read". (See new poll). I know there have been books over the years that either I had to read for school or read for pleasure that were torture on the brain. I failed to see what was or is so special about those works that I wished for brain safe bleach to remove them from my psyche.

I know that not every author is going to hit me or others the same way, and I do truly understand that. As my late father used to say, "There is no accounting for another's bad taste.", and the books we don't like as idividuals or as a group fall under that.

So, what books have you loathed and why? I would like to open the floor up to one and all to weigh in on this. What books do you wish you had brain safe bleach to erase? Yes, so called classics count,as does any book or manga, grafic novel, you name it. It's all good (or bad), depending on how you look at it...

message 2: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments The only book that I have read that made me wish i hadn't was "Cujo" by Stephen King. I stayed up ALL NIGHT reading that book waiting for it to get good. Guess what? It didn't. and WTF...the kid dies!?!?Gimme a break.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 113 comments I have (mercifully) blocked out the names of the books like that (there have only been a very few, two of which were for a Lit class a year or so ago). The only one I can name is because it was this week. It is called Me2, and has a WONDERFUL premise: What if there was a doppelganger of you that began insidiously taking over your life? Sounds great, but it was SOOOO bad I could not finish reading it. I donated it to the library or I would have ripped it up and thrown it out. It was SO disjointed, it was as if it was written by the victim of such an occurrence after having had a psychotic break. The concept was great, loved the idea of the victim writing the story, but BLEAH! the only really interesting thing was him getting a BJ in the dark at a party, FROM HIMSELF (the Doppelganger)!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments If I'm not into, I mean really into it by the first few chapters maybe about 4 or so, I'm outta there! There is too little time and too many good books.

Now my reading selections change with my mood. I even go into reading slumps and I will put down a few books through out that time, but I usually pick it up when my mood changes again.

Ones, I can remember running from are a couple by Koontz and by Grisham.