fiction files redux discussion

Candy Bar/Literature Crossovers

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
Over in the Short Story Group reads members are immersed in a little O. Henry which made me make the juvenile link to this...

Photobucket

... which of course is not related to the O. Henry writer dude because his O. stands for William Sydney Porter (well not really... he just liked the letter O apparently) and the Oh in the candy bar according to legend is an exclamation the girls made while making the candy and fighting off a horny little flirtatious boy... though another legend says it was indeed a homage to the O. writer guy.

Anyway my juvenile response was countered with a reply of a different candy preference, specifically Kit Kat (which I believe is not technically a bar but a wafer, or multiple wafers). So because I'm a busy guy, I of course had to look up the correlation between Kit Kat's and Literature and found the following:

Recently in Japan, Kit Kats have come packaged with CD singles and a special limited edition double pack of Kit Kat Crispy Monogatari came bundled with a mini book featuring six short stories, one of which is written by Koji Suzuki, author of the Ring cycle series of books.

Now what I find amusing about this is I was just holding the second and third book of the Ring series by Suzuki. The bookshop didn't have the first, Ring, so I put the siblings back on the shelf. A lover of both contemporary and classical Japanese literature, this series has me intrigued. I did enjoy the movie.

So egged on with the promise of some Snickerdoodle crumbs (which I guess is made with Snickers candy bars), I've started this thread for the serious research into candy/literature crossovers. Candy named after authors? Giving out books with candy? The chewy goodness of literature?

I'm not sure where to begin but as I sit back and look at Alexandre Dumas'...

Photobucket

... I'm hoping maybe someone (Mo?) can help with this serious project.

message 2: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
Ah. I feel another classic coming on.

message 3: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Jennifer | 141 comments Mod
ok here's a few i've come up with, doing some very serious research :

mr. goodbar (looking for mr. goodbar - judith rossner)

clark bar (arthur c. clark)

whitman's candies (walt whitman)

mars bar (mars - roman god)
[image error]

and here's an example of one that might not go over very well : true grit (charles portis) :)

message 4: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 24, 2009 07:57AM) (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "and here's an example of one that might not go over very well : true grit (charles portis) :) "

good work jen! we are already miles into this fascinating research study!

there's a true grit chocolate bar? we call them chocolate bars in canada, not candy bars. we don't consider chocolate candy, i guess. :)

i am about to start my research on the three musketeers (which was my childhood favourite, by the way), and also feel i can commit to eating some of those yummy minis whilst reading the three musketeers by dumas.

in the meantime, here's an easy trivia question. what book involves the consumption of this candied treat?

[image error]

message 5: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
the lion the witch and the armoire! assuming it's turkish delight, which i've never actually seen.

that stuff pops up all over. it's in graham green stories too.

message 6: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (last edited Mar 24, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Very popular British candy, that's why (at least where I lived). All the kids eat it. I never developed a taste for it.

Now Cadbury's Creme Eggs, that's a different story.

message 7: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Maureen wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "and here's an example of one that might not go over very well : true grit (charles portis) :) "

good work jen! we are already miles into this fascinating research study!

there's ..."

easy? what ARE those? :)

i made up true grit - an example of a candy that would flop. at least i would think it would. of course people like the chick-o-stick, which always turned me off because it sounds like it would be chicken flavored candy. :P

oh yeah, and marzipan... out of curiosity does ANYONE really like that stuff? ick.

message 8: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 24, 2009 08:18AM) (new)

Ben wrote: "the lion the witch and the armoire! assuming it's turkish delight, which i've never actually seen.

that stuff pops up all over. it's in graham green stories too."

you and your darn armoire. :) now since you answered the trivia question correctly, can you please explain to brian that snicker doodles don't have snickers in 'em? :P

message 9: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

sigh. i can't believe we forgot this one:

message 10: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 24, 2009 08:31AM) (new)

Jen wrote: i made up true grit - an example of a candy that would flop. at least i would think it would. of course people like the chick-o-stick, which always turned me off because it sounds like it would be chicken flavored candy. :P

okay, i have never heard of CHIK-O-STICK. what in tarnation is that? and i've never eaten marzipan though i had some in a bath product a while back and it smelled nice. :)

i've never cared for thrills gum -- it tasted like soap to me. ;)

message 11: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

here's another trivia question: what YA novel's plot turns on the refusal of chocolate, in a vending sense?

message 12: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Maureen wrote: "here's another trivia question: what YA novel's plot turns on the refusal of chocolate, in a vending sense?"

the chocolate war!

and why aren't there snickers bits in snickerdoodles?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Peanut M&M alert!!!

5 in every bag contains no peanut. The company must be trying to cut costs without informing the public.

That is all.

message 14: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 24, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

how do you like them apples? :P

message 15: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

love it! :D

think lara's ever had one of these?

message 16: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 887 comments Mod
chick o stick is kind of like the center of a butterfinger in a stick form but no chocolate and add coconut!

message 17: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 641 comments Mod
This is hilarious, Mo has a candy bar with what I think is a race car driver on it! Is that an umlaut over the A in Lara's Larabar?

Kerry- The idea of this chick o stick thing is intriguing. I am torn as to whether it would taste good or not. I need to find one of these and try it.

message 18: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 24, 2009 10:31AM) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "love it! :D

think lara's ever had one of these?
"

good question. i have another: do you think dr. zhivago had one of these?

on shel's easter creme eggs: can we make a correlation to gatsby?

on margaret's peanut m&ms: i've never had any -- i was warned off as a child because they used the "old" peanuts, much like how chocolate milk from a carton was made with "old" milk.

and kerry: thanks for clarifying. i like butterfingers but i don't like coconut! that mounds bar is also covered with coconut. anybody got a mounds literary connection?

and there is also the mars - space opera/sci fi connection.

voila!

and another british delight:

[image error]
was it really the inspiration for the douglas adams books? perhaps we shall never know. :)

message 19: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

chocolove

Chocolove is a selection of distinctly flavored chocolate bars made with all-natural ingredients and the classic techniques of Europe's finest chocolatiers. The package design would resemble a love letter sent from a distant land, and inside each wrapper - a classic romantic poem.

chocolove poem

But they are not truly publishers...

Can I submit poetry to Chocolove?

We do not take poetry submissions but we appreciate your interest. Our poetry has to be in the public domain, which is free and clear of any rights. We have fairly narrow parameters for what we print and we do not use any modern day poetry.

message 20: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

There's no better time than now for literature to link up with the chewy goodness of Tootsie Rolls. A classic like, say, War & Peace, could be serialized. Just think how enriched our lives would be.

message 21: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Lauren Soderberg | 80 comments Mod
Chick o Sticks hurt my teeth, as do Butterfingers. Which is sad because I love them so.

Anything having to do with Reeses? Reeses Pieces in ET? Eh? Not a novel, I know.. but STILL.

and Turkish delight EXISTS? and thats what it looks like?!?! For some reason I always thought of it being a cross between a fig newton and some kind of cobbler. Shows how ridiculous I am.

PS have any of you ever tried the candy based on the Harry Potter series? Like these?

I really didnt think they would be flavored as they were labeled. Alas, I now know what ear wax tastes like (I even had a sausage flavored one, which certainly could be a nice partner to Mo's favorite bacon flavored chocolate)

message 22: by Esther (new)

Esther | 83 comments Mod
Oh the things I miss when I'm off gallivanting around the country...*sigh*

Lauren - I've seen those several times but had neither the bravery to try them or the enticement to pull out the amount of money they wanted for them. Though I think a chocolate frog might put me in a better mood...

message 23: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Lauren wrote: "Chick o Sticks hurt my teeth, as do Butterfingers. Which is sad because I love them so.

Anything having to do with Reeses? Reeses Pieces in ET? Eh? Not a novel, I know.. but STILL.

and Turkish de..."

i was at a huge mall several years ago and there was one of those coin candy machines and i got a handful of those harry potter jelly beans and ate a dirt one - and it did taste just like dirt. it had regular ones too thank god. i ate one i knew to get the taste out of my mouth. :P

message 24: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

I saw these yesterday at Quimby's, a local bookstore in Chicago, and nearly bought them for Mo. They are bacon flavored jelly beans, in a bacon shaped collectible tin!

I may go back and do it...

message 25: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Shel wrote: "I saw these yesterday at Quimby's, a local bookstore in Chicago, and nearly bought them for Mo. They are bacon flavored jelly beans, in a bacon shaped collectible tin!

I may go back and do it...

"

ew. and they're called bacon beans! guess i shouldn't knock them until i have tried them - the popcorn flavored beans are terribly yummy. i really love the tin.

message 26: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

um shel. you have to at least try them and tell me how they are. do not walk by bacon goodness. if you must, eat a chocolate bar as you eat them. :)

and jen. you behave or i'll slather you in baconnaise. :) truly god has smiled upon me this day. :P

message 27: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Oh I will. I will make friends try them, too.

Shove them in, I will.

Sorry. I've been talking Yoda to the kids all evening.

"Wash your hair myself, I will. Be sorry, you will."

message 28: by Esther (new)

Esther | 83 comments Mod
I'm a little frightened of you all right now...

message 29: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

frightened... and charmed? :P