The Time Traveler's Wife The Time Traveler's Wife discussion

I can't get into this book!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 137) (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I have picked up this book like 3-4 times and I cannot get into it! Everyone I talk to loves it and says I have to read it. Maybe time travel is not my thing? I will try again though.

Kate It gets easier about 1/3 of the way through when it all begins to fall into place. Stick with it, it's amazing!

message 3: by Leslie (last edited Mar 24, 2009 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie I agree (with Kate)! Give it a little time...also, make sure you're in a relaxed, comfortable spot so you can wrap your mind around the story.

Mark Turner It does take some getting used to but once you do it's a great book.

Rachael Pedersen I found the same problem as Amy, I read the entire thing but didn't really enjoy it much. I found the entire book was about a grown man seaching for clothing, and hanging around with a little kid. But most people say they enjoyed it, so I must be missing something! Still, not everything is for everybody

Mary I agree with Rachel, I read it all the way through and left me feeling like.."oohhkaay then". I didn't hate it..just o.k i guess.

Hillary I read majority of the book and then stopped because I started with another series. I may pick it up again relatively soon. It was pretty good from what I read and much better than the movie. The movie had a lot of gaps in it which made it unpleasant to watch.
Sometimes the book moved a little slow and was on repeat quite a bit. But I liked it from what I read :-)

Stacey I Started the book recently,and I got about half way through before I relized a really had noidea what was going on. My mom (who read it before me) said to pay close attention to the dates. But I couldn't remeber every year, month, and day.

Bella Street I used to be in a literary book club and this was a selection. I just did not get it AT ALL. Didn't like any of the characters, couldn't understand the plot, etc. It was like a joke that goes right over your head. VROOM. I only finished it so I could complain in book club. LOL

A couple people in my group adored it. I guess I was just the wrong audience...

message 10: by Snapdragon (new) - added it

Snapdragon Kate wrote: "It gets easier about 1/3 of the way through when it all begins to fall into place. Stick with it, it's amazing!"

I love anything that has to do with time. Was I ever confused? Yup. But I got on for the ride and didn't want to get off when it was over.

Sdianemac Sometimes when you hear all this praise and hype about a book it almost sets you up to be disappointment. For me this book is my all time favourite (with The Red Tent coming in at a close 2nd). As I was reading the last few chapters my husband and kids tried to interupte me but I didn't want to break away so I actually yelled to leave me alone ---- I cried like a baby at the end.

Pinksmileys I never fully got into this book either, I made it to the end but felt it was hyped up a bit...didn't like the characters either.

Kimberly this boook was so easy for me to get into. as long as you look at the dates and ages its fairly easy to follow :)

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Aztec I listened to the book in 15 minute pieces riding to and from work. I loved it and got into it from the beginning.

Regina Wamba Mary wrote: "I agree with Rachel, I read it all the way through and left me feeling like.."oohhkaay then". I didn't hate it..just o.k i guess."

It's funny, I felt the same way, and everyone I talked to thought I was crazy.. just thought it was okay, and that the movie for me was better than the book.. strange?

Linda Ostrom I understood the book right from the beginning, I just didn't feel engaged in the story. I felt terrible because all my friends loved it. I thought it was basically a typical love story that had been shaken up and then spilled out in all different ways. The ending left me cold.

Virginia I really enjoyed the book. It took me a bit to get used to the writing style,but as soon as I did, it flowed beautifully. I think since I had no expectations of the book, it was easier to become a fan of it.

message 18: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann One of my all time favourite books!

James Brogan As a writer I think she's pretty good, but as a plotter, and original idea-tor she's fantastic. I loved the way everything weaved together. Ebert's review of the movie version said there were all kinds of plot holes, but I think he just didn't get it and assumed it was thrown together with no thought for continuity. I found no cause/effect faults at all and I was looking very hard for them. Ending was astounding - mad that I didn't see it coming. Her next book was pretty good too and quite different.

message 20: by Laura (last edited May 20, 2011 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura I loved every bit of it as a reader, and was jealous of it as a writer (wish I had thought of it, dang!) It is a complex story and I thought about it when I wasn't reading it, the structure had to be a glorious nightmare for her to piece together to make it right. I cried my eyes out at the end (even threw the book across the room I was so vexed!) I love that when books rouse the emotions, it keeps the blood pumping. A damn good book.

Kathy Hale Amy wrote: "I have picked up this book like 3-4 times and I cannot get into it! Everyone I talk to loves it and says I have to read it. Maybe time travel is not my thing? I will try again though. "

Kathy Hale I agree! I have tried to read it two times and just can't seem to get through it. Just because everyone says they like it doesn't mean that you have to. I've never watched Titanic all the way through either.

Diane When I first started reading the book, I was so confused, but I would reread and then go forward. Oh, I am so glad I 'worked' to understand the basis of the story. This is one of my all time favorites. (I cried both times I read the book and when I watched the movie).

Jeanette Johnson I actually listened to the audio of this book. I don't know if it helped or not. It seems that once I figured out that Clare's narritive is chronological and Henry's is popping in and out at different ages because of his affliction, it was easier to understand. I loved this story and had many moments of tears. It's both beautiful and melancholy.

message 25: by L.K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.K. Rigel I was sobbing through the end of this book. I loved it.

message 26: by Mr.B (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mr.B It's a terrific book, but not for everyone. Read something else.

Max *SHERlocked heart* I dont mind this book. Its ok, i like the movie. But the book's good

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Kurtz I felt the same way - I think it could have been about 150 pages shorter and delivered the same concept

message 29: by mr. swan (new) - added it

mr. swan Right from the beginning, I was hooked! I spent a couple of nights up later than I should have been... I thought the ending was quite poignant!

Amanda Joyce Calvert I listened to the Audio Book back and forth to work and then read the book where it left off. It helped me a lot in understanding what was going on! Great Read!

Jennifer I loved it cried my eyes out!

Heather Daniels it is hard to get into but its totally worth reading! I cried so much my eyes were swollen for two days! an absolute favorite

Nance I agree...I myself had to start the book about three times. But, I was determined to read it once I heard that a movie was coming out...and then about 50 pages into it, I couldn't put it down. Unfortunately, I have yet to see the movie. LOL! It's just one of those kinds of books. I had the same problem with the Count of Monte Cristo, but then I ended up not being about to put that down also, and read all 1243 pgs in a week. You never know how a book is going to grab you from the very beginning!!!

message 34: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate I think the hardest part is working out how the timeline all fits together.

As soon as you have that straight in your mind it should be easier.

I liked the book but thought it was a little too long.

Heather Daniels I havent seen the movie either. I really dont want to.

**Carla** I liked the book however I wasn't really into it until literally about halfway through the book. I was kind of disappointed with the movie though. I thought they left out some important parts of the book.

Joanne It makes me sad that you can't enjoy it! It took me a bit to get used to it jumping around but I absolutely loved this book!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

watched the movie first, then read read the book. That's what I did. LOL. I can relate in this book , not because of time traveling but their love story T_T " why is love intensified by absence?"

Katherine Owen I would agree that the book is confusing in the way it moves back and forth in time. The little headings become very important in terms of keeping the reader centered. As a writer, this book broke a lot of rules (so much switching back and forth) which is what made it brilliant. This is up there as one of my all-time favorites. The movie was okay, but the book was amazing.

iramahati melody I love the book! Yes, it might be a little hard at the beginning but as you go along with the story, you'll get use to it. Actually, I dont really pay much attention to the dates. When I read the dates I just thought of it as "the later time, the previous time, or current time". Somehow I manage to keep in track.

I don't quite like the movie because a looooot of things are missing. But considering that it's not that easy either to put this whole book into an hour plus show, I guess the movie is acceptable. :)

Kimberly Hernandez After seeing my two teenage daughters reading this book, I made several attempts to read it. I would get half way through, then put it down out of frustration. After reading everyone's thoughts, maybe I should give it another try!

message 42: by L.K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.K. Rigel Jx - you hit it right on the head. The sad longing that permeates the book is what got to me. I had to check my analytical mind at the door, and then I could enjoy the love story. The ending was so emotional.

message 43: by Suzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Suzy Turner Hi Amy
I admit to feeling exactly the same. I kept getting bored. In the end, I gave up. Life's too short to read something we can't get into. I say forget about it and go pick up another book!

message 44: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee Burns Suzy wrote: "Hi Amy
I admit to feeling exactly the same. I kept getting bored. In the end, I gave up. Life's too short to read something we can't get into. I say forget about it and go pick up another book!"

I am with Amy - Tried it three times - Life is too short, too many good reads out there! Dee

Rachel I definitely agree! This was actually one of the strangest reads of my life, simply due to the fact that I burst into tears after reading the last chapter, when the rest of the book had been so difficult to get through. I think maybe the writing and the pace of the novel had something to do with this. In the end, I reckon it’s definitely worth the read for the final few chapters, and the movie is worth a watch too. However, the majority of the book was a struggle to get through.

message 46: by Adria (new) - rated it 1 star

Adria I kept feeling like I was missing something and only ended up feeling exasperated. It was kind of boring so I didn't finish it- I'm glad to see I'm not alone!

Emilee This is my favorite book ever!

message 48: by Lily (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lily I could not get into the book...tried listening to the audio book and follow along...made me go to sleep...but watched the movie and things made sense...I gave the book an o.k. rating...the movie was great...but if you don't read the book you will get lost in the movie...make any sense??

message 49: by BBK (new) - rated it 4 stars

BBK The book also try to travel in time.. it's what I felt while reading this book.

Jacquie I loved this book! I did find that I really had to focus on the dates at the top of the page in order to keep everything straight. I'll admit I did a lot of re-reading, but it was worth it!

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)
Slaughterhouse-Five (other topics)
The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)