Good Reads Vegetarians discussion

Reading your way to health

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Billione (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Billione | 25 comments Mod
I heard somewhere that "you cannot be a healthy vegetarian and not read." I find this to be true. Without the various books I read, being a vegetarian would have been more difficult. Which books or websites have been helpful for you?

message 2: by Sean (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Sean | 1 comments Heya! I agree completely - some folks may just be lucky, but the rest of us need to learn how to eat right (vegetarian or not).

I've been a big fan of Dr. Michael Greger at http://www.veganmd.com

He has some great fact sheets and electronic recordings of lectures he's given on the site - he does a good job of boiling down the important facts while avoiding creating just another sterile nutrition guide.

message 3: by Billione (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Thanks Sean. I will check out the website and Dr. Michael Greger. Thanks for joining the group! Peace.

message 4: by Rose (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Rose | 1 comments well im thankful i found this group,,its really helpfull to me,to be a vegetarian, as well as i can take care of my health..

message 5: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Alien  Citizen | 5 comments What an awesome idea for a goodreads group! I highly suggest the wonderful, imaginative, tried and true cookbook, The Passionate Vegetarian, by Crescent Dragonwagon. She used to run a vegetarian restaurant and wish I could have frequented it because her recipes are wideranging and delicious. It's not a small book but covers its bases and more.

message 6: by Billione (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Thanks so much for all of your feedback and encouragement. You have no idea how much it pleases me to know that so many people share my passion.

message 7: by Amber (last edited Sep 24, 2008 06:42PM) (new)

Amber Anderson (amabre) Mad Cowboy by Howard Lyman: Sometimes painful to read but this book definetely helped cement my disgust toward animal products. When people ask why I don't eat meat I find myself almost quoting this book.

www.letsgetsconed.blogspot.com: Pretty photos, vegan recipes, fun stuff. I like her.

message 8: by Rai (new)

Rai | 33 comments Hey veggie peeps,

Rory Freedman has a brand new Facebook fan page:

http://www.facebook.com/rai.aren?ref=...

I just "liked" it :)

Cheers,

Rai

"I made the choice to be vegan because I will not eat (or wear, or use) anything that could have an emotional response to its death or captivity. I can well imagine what that must feel like for our non-human friends - the fear, the terror, the pain - and I will not cause such suffering to a fellow living being." - Rai Aren

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 12 comments I am addicted to reading and researching the health side of veganism and about healing and wellbeing using a plant based diet. I have trouble following it all though but I find it really interesting.