Magic Realism discussion

Anyone up for a group book read/discussion?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 4 comments Is anyone interested in reading "Wise Children" by Angela Carter? I haven't read her before.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 6 comments Mod
It's a book I know pretty well, an excellent book. I'd be happy to throw my two cents in.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 1 comments I'm keen to read another Angela Carter, the only one I've read so far is The Bloody Chamber which I really liked (though some stories more than others...) so I'll try and get hold of a copy of Wise Children and add something!

message 4: by Krissi (new)

Krissi (krissi-n-skelekitty) | 1 comments I've yet to read anything by Angela Carter (but have been working my way through all of Alice Hoffman's books).

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie | 2 comments I've never read Angela Carter, so I'd be happy to join!

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 4 comments I read this book in January and it wasn't really magic realism. Are there any others people would be interested in reading?

message 7: by Abi (new)

Abi | 1 comments Brenda, what's your definition of magical realism? I haven't read Wise Children, so I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear what you thought it was that it did or didn't have that made it not 'really magic realism'.

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva | 1 comments I've read some of her short stories and they are excellent. Would be excited to read one of her novels. If 'Wise Children' is not really magical realism, and people in this group is keen on reading Angela Carter, I know 'Nights at the Circus' could be defined as magical realism.

message 9: by J10 (new)

J10 (Jantien) I'd like to join too: never read anything by Angela Carter, so I'm curious!

If anyone wants to read something else: I've just added "The Coming of Joachim Stiller" by Hubert Lampo. Just let me know.

message 10: by James (new)

James (eisigeyes) | 16 comments I would be interested to give Carter another chance. I have The Bloody Chamber on my shelf (more fairytale inspired), and I have read Fireworks. Honestly, though, I haven't been in love with her work from what I've read in Fireworks. I hope she can change my mind. I think it's difficult because most of the Fireworks stories were in summary, which removes a lot of the interest for me.

message 11: by J10 (new)

J10 (Jantien) Hello again,
I've been looking at the descriptions of 'Wise Children' and 'Nights at the Circus' and they both sound like enjoyable reads to me. I'd like to start reading one of them soon-ish (doesn't matter to me which one), anyone wants to join in?
(puts her hand up)