Chick Lit discussion

My favorites

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Gwen Morrison I have so many favorites but my favorite author is Jodi Picoult. I also recently read a great book that I think all women will love:

Good Grief by Lolly Winston (hilarious book)

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) "Good Grief" is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed. GOOD GRIEF is fantastic.

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Ashley I read her other book, Happiness Sold Separately, and I liked that one... Good Grief is on my To-Read list as well :)

message 5: by Doug (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Doug | 2 comments Ashley,

I agree - I am at the point that I would read anything by Lolly Winston - they are such Wonderful novels! :)Doug

message 6: by Jim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Jim | 1 comments I have a daughter who I guess will read chick lit at some point in time - so my question is what age do women start reading chick lit?

2nd ? - is there any good introductory overview of history of chick lit, where it's been and where it's going?

3rd ? what books should a Dad of teenager start reading to see what chick lit is actually about?

message 7: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Katie E Linder Jim - in answer to your second question, you could try "This is Chick Lit" a collection edited by Lauren Baratz-Logsted, "Chick lit : the new woman's fiction" edited by Suzanne Ferriss and Mallory Young, or the earlier "Chick-lit: on the edge: new womens fiction anthology" edited by Cris Mazza and Jeffrey DeShell.

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments Jim,
You should check into Teen Lit, they are several great authors out there that your daughter will enjoy. I recommend Cara Lockwood (Bard Academy Novels) and depending on her age Jenny O'Connell's Book of Luke and Plan B.

message 9: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
Jim: I like to participate in National Novel Writing Month from time to time (it's November of each year), and I picked up See Jane Write as a guide for laying out my chick lit novel (which I did not complete yet for this year's NaNoWriMo).

Writing instruction aside, I think it's a great overview of the genre, where it came from, and where it's going.

There are some young adult novels/series with a chick lit "feel" to them, like Meg Cabot's Princess Diary and the Gossip Girl series, that a teen reader might start with. I guess it depends on her interests and desire to read chick lit topics.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Moran (authorkellymoran) Hello
I am a writer in this genre. Please check out my list, they are on there. Thanks a ton!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Kelly
home.wi.rr.com/kellymoran