Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Good Books for One-Year-Old Girl???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Jan 11, 2008 07:50PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Hi Everybody.

I love kids' lit but know books for 3-12 & up better than books for babies and toddlers.

A friend of mine has a daughter who will be 1 year old in about a month and I wanted to get her a book or two. They're long distance so I don't know what they already have.

And, while I'm tempted to get a book or two for older kids for them to have in the future, they're probably going to move in a year or two so I think I should get them book(s) the girl can enjoy now. I’d especially like some lesser known titles as I assume they already have the more well known books.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne My daughter liked the Karen Katz books when she was younger. I also used to use them for story times for my babies and toddlers when I was a children's librarian. I'm a big fan. Some titles include "Where is Baby's Belly Button?" "Ten Tiny Tickles" "Where is Baby's Mommy?" and "Grandma and Me." There are a lot more and most are board books (nice and sturdy for a 1-year-old). There is even a little box set you can get.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I agree with Suzanne - Karen Katz is a favorite around our household. My daughter also enjoyed the Sandra Boynton board books. We have "The Going to Bed Book" and "What's the Matter Pookie?" One of my favorites is Margaret Wise Brown's "Big Red Barn." Also any kids' song that has been turned into a book is a big hit around here, like " Wheels on the Bus" and "Five Little Ducks."

message 4: by Tiff (last edited Jan 12, 2008 06:32AM) (new)

Tiff (tiffe) My favorites for 1 year olds; I used these with kids at the public library for storytimes:

*Cleo the Cat series by Caroline Mockford

*Bear series by Stella Blackstone ['Bear in a Square' is one title]

*the Gossie and Gertie series by Olivier Dunrea

message 5: by Tiff (new)

Tiff (tiffe) Also, the Bunbun series by Sharon Pierce McCullough! Another storytime favorite.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Suzanne, Jessica, and Tiff,

Thanks for all the ideas! I’d thought about The Going to Bed Book by Boynton because she doesn’t sleep much. Have to buy a box set though. I’ll look up all the others.

message 7: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Make sure it is a board book, because at one my son was crinkling pages.

But other thoughts:

"Good Night, Sweet Butterflies" (gorgeous)
"I See You, You See Me" (by LaMaze, very babyish)
"We're going on a Bear Hunt" (cute story)
DK touch and feel books
Spot books

Karen Katz books are also very cute!

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks again everybody. Printing out what I've got (a lot!) so far. Appreciate the responses. I agree about it best to give a board book to a 1 year old.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sammis (caligula03) I have a one year old daughter.

Her favorites include:
Click, Clack, Splish, Splash by Doreen Cronin
Opposites by Eric Carle
Any of the Olivia the pig books by Ian Falconer

message 10: by Robbie (last edited Jan 16, 2008 10:43AM) (new)

Robbie Bashore When my daughter was one, her absolute favorite book was an animal book My Big Animal Book by Priddy. She also loved just about any "lift-the-flap" book. Vocabulary builders are wonderful at that age. TheY love pointing aT pictures and naming them.

message 11: by Kewpie (new)

Kewpie Hi, this is my first post to this group.

For readers age 0-3, I strongly recommend Harper Growing Tree books. They are sturdily constructed, expressive illustrations and a fairly decent story, considering they are all written for the baby to toddler crowd.

My favorite is No, No Jo! When I was a story teller for 1-2 year olds, this one was a HIT! In fact for WEEKS after I read it, the older kids would start calling out "No no, Jo!" Whenever I said the word "No" in a totally different story.

http://www.harperchildrens.com/growin... That's the website. One neat thing there is tips for reading to kids A different tip for each age group from newborn to three years old.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks so much everybody for all the helpful book suggestions. It's good to know that there are many good books for 1 year olds. I don't know many books for 0-3. I'm more familiar with the 3 & up all the way to ya (and adult) ranges.

Anyway, I sent a list of all the books suggested so far to this friend. I figured that would be helpful to her. I don't know which books they might have already. If any more suggestions are given in this thread, I'll send those along as well. (And I suggested that she join Goodreads.)

This will help me too as I just started volunteering to read to hospitalized kids and their age range is 0-21. So far, I'm being steered to the 2-5 year olds but I especially hope to read to older kids too and to kids even younger than 2 as well.

The hospital already has the books, which are selected and provided by our local public library. But I’m allowed to suggest books to acquire as well, so all your suggestions are appreciated.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol There are different books that CAN go across age recomendations...it's all in how you read the book. A book for a five year old can be read differently for a five year old. A one year old may want to only look at the pictures no matter what is 'written' on the page....National Geographic can be used for a one year old...with that said, I saw some GREAT books at the Chicago Institute of Art museum....I wished I had known someone with a baby or toddler as they were board books without enough writing for an older child about artists...perhaps they would have them on the website?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sammis (caligula03) My 5 year old likes most of the same books as my 1 year old. He has just started reading and he likes to read these easier books to his sister.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenrobin) I echo the Karen Katz books! She's a favorite here. The lift-the-flap books are especially good--we really like "Where's Baby's Pumpkin?" Even though it is centered around Halloween, the story is really cute. Another favorite is "Goodnight Moon" and the picture books with different objects (i.e., categorized by colors, shapes, farn animals, etc.).

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) One of our favorites is QUICK AS A CRICKET by Audrey Wood. We've been reading it since the kids were babies, my 6 year old just read it to my 4 year old. It has animals, active words, similes and opposites and the illustrations are AWESOME!

I've also used it at school. This year with a small group of 2nd and 3rd graders when we discussed self affirmation and personality characteristics. And a year or two ago with a middle school English class when we talked about similes - it was a great way to show how they're used and just use something different.

message 17: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) I just posted a number of our favorite picture books from when my daughter was little. The Good Dog Carl books were amazing, as was "On the Day You Were Born". But really any of the picture books are good for little ones... even as young as one.

message 18: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Brown Bear, Brown Bear and it's sequel Polar Bear, Polar Bear.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney my daughters liked the gossie series by olivier dunrae. Then the dr.suess reader board books, like i'll teach my dog a lot of words, hand hand fingers thumb. and such. Also sandra boynton books. at one the three favorites were the belly button book, doggies a counting and barking book, and horns to toes and in between. also check out mick inkpen, some of his simpler wibbly and kipper books are awesome for one year olds, and as they grow there are more age appropriate books available.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I've got to second the Boynton books. Both my boys (18 mo & 4 1/2) love the silly rhymes and the illustrations. I'd also recommend Bear Snores On, which is available in board book format. There is a new Bear one, but only in hard cover and those corners are sharp!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sammis (caligula03) My daughter (16 months old) loves the Boynton books. My son when he was a toddler didn't enjoy the Carl the dog books.

message 22: by Prabha (last edited Feb 01, 2008 09:57PM) (new)

Prabha Hi, I'm new to this group too. My kids and nieces have always loved Eric Carle's books right from babyhood - especially The Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear Brown Bear. I completely agree with Carol, the same book can appeal to children of different ages. It really depends on how it is presented to the child. Example, The Hungry Caterpillar (board book) - I read it aloud to my baby girl, with actions for eating and for 'big' and 'small'. When she was older, we counted along. In preschool, she read it on her own and together we did a wall mural on the book as a holiday project. It's still one of my favourite memories!

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim Hi. I just joined the group too. I have a three year old and she loved Good Night Moon at that age, Goodnight Gorilla, Is Your Mama a Llama? and all the Boynton books - especially the belly button book (but I have a feeling she liked when we poked her be-bo while we read it!) :-) She also loved Quick as A Cricket, too. I saw that mentioned. That's one she still loves, so it has some longevity. The other two she loved and still loves are Blankey and Big/Little. But I think we read Goodnight, Gorilla every night for a year :-)

message 24: by Prabha (new)

Prabha Thanks Abigail! It's good to have a group to discuss children's books and related stuff - great for parents and early educators!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa My daughters favorite (she is 6) is The Bus for us by Suzanne Bloom. She now likes to read it to me, but my son who is 10 months like for me to read it to him. I think it would work well for a one year old and still be good in a few years when that same kid can read it themselve.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) Judy Schachner writes books for her SkippyJon Jones Series for young babes. Her colors, shapes and numbers books are fantastic.

Goodnight Moon!

Any lift the flap book is wonderful imo. DK makes many of them and they're fantastic.

I also LOOOVE the Kipper series in board book form. Martin Clunes has them for colors, shapes, numbers. The pictures are bright and adorable too. My children loved them when they were tiny.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) Oh, we also love the Big Hungry Bear series - THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR AND THE RED RIPE STRAWBERRY and this year we had a Hungry Bear Christmas book. Bear Snores On is also great and there a few more in that series now as well.

Other favorites that I know my husband and I like to read at night :) - I admit to "stacking" the bedtime story deck - are THE Z GOT ZAPPED, THE HAIRY TOE (from Reading Together set from Discovery Toys), DINOSAURS DAY OUT (from the same set), and KISS GOODNIGHT. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, we got that one through Discovery Toys too. I used to be a home rep for them before I went back to teaching at school and most of our favorite books on our shelf were through them. They had some cloth books and interactive books that we read all the time when the girls were in the older infant, toddler stages and we loved them all! I don't know how to create a link successfully in my posting, but their website is http://www.discoverytoysinc.com.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) whoah - okay, apparently, the link will be created automatically......

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Rebecca- I just discovered Skippy John Jones and my boys love him. But I totally have to disagree with the flap book thing. In our house all the flaps end up ripped off, which often results in half the page being ripped off along with some key pieces of text.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) We struggled with lift the flap too. We had one that was Night, Night Baby that was fairly durable that way.

My daughters also informed me today that good ones for toddlers (in their opinion) were Saltzberg books. They're touch and feel or squeakers - we had Baby Animal Kisses and Peek-A-Boo Kisses. They loved them both until the end of preschool.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Excellent suggestions! My little one loves Goodnight Moon, and the flap books are some of her favorites! She hasnt torn any of them, which i thought she would...but my mom purchased them at a garage sale so i wasnt concerned. She loves those though, and will spend hours looking at them.
Im anxious to check out some of your other suggestions :)

message 32: by Terry (new)

Terry (readingtub) Our daughter loved all of the Boynton books, and now that she is 6 and learning to read, they are coming in handy for practicing!!

Since you mentioned bedtime as in issue ... Mem Fox's Time for Bed is terrific, as are Sleep Tight, Little Mouse by Mary Morgan and Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann.

message 33: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneysalter) In A Blue Room by Jim Averbeck is a beautiful new bedtime story. Perfect for a little girl. Also--I just saw it listed on a mock Caldecott winner list for this year (the illustrations are lovely & peaceful).

message 34: by Shala (new)

Shala Howell (shala_howell) Karen Katz is a favorite with my one-year old too. On the lesser known side, you might look for books that have candid photo shots of babies in them. My daughter is fascinated by them, but I would never have thought to pick them up if my pediatrician hadn't handed me one called "Smile". Every time we look at it, Bridget just laughs and giggles along with the babies in the photos. Since then I've been looking for books with pics of babies in them. Every one I've picked up so far has been a hit.

Another idea, although not necessarily a book, is to buy her a small photo album that Mom/Dad can fill with 6-8 pictures of various members of the family. My niece Hannah travels everywhere with hers. My daughter Bridget loves to look at the picture of Daddy in hers when Daddy has to travel or is working late and can't be home before she goes to bed.

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganmme) My daughter is nearly two now but still loves some of the books I bought for her before she was 1. Lift the flap books in particular have really kept her attention over the months.

I second a lot of the books that have already been mentioned (karen katz, bill bryson, sandra boynton, bill martin jr, etc) Another (fairly) new series that we've discovered is the Scaredy Squirrel books. The pictures are really entertaining and the story is engaging enough to keep me happy as well.

message 36: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (ahockman) I know these have been mentioned before but both my 3 year old son (when he was a baby) and my 16 month old son (currently) love Goodnight, Gorilla. They also both love The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I buy lots of books for my sons and those two were hands down favorites that are read over and over.

message 37: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) I have to mention Owl Babies by Martin Waddell, one of my daughter's (and my) favorites.

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberpic) Hi...

I know this is kind of late in the thread, but I just joined this group.

I generally don't care for Baby Einstein, but my daughter, who is 18 months old, absolutely LOVES the Baby Einstein books, in particular My First Book of Numbers and My First Book of Letters. We have three shelves of books just for her, but when she wants to read, those are the first 2 books she brings me every time.

message 39: by ☼Book her, (new)

☼Book her,   Danno☼  (pam_t) Well count me as another one that's newish to the group.

And the great thing about babies is that you can read them anything! I used to read mine bits of Brazelton.

But more seriously, one of our frequent reads was poetry. There are all kinds of kid friendly books out there: some themed (like Barney) and some just of the classics.

I think poetry helps children to read more easily.

Jack Kirby and the X-man Another newbie!

I'll put a plug in for Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes. It is new, published in 2008. It was written by Mem Fox who is a well known and much loved Australian childrens author (most famous for Possum Magic. The illustrations are by Helen Oxenbury, who does fantastic work. I expect that outside the UK and Australia these authors are probably lesser-known. A lovely book about accepting diversity, great for reading aloud.

For a book to leave in their toybox I find my 11 month old loves the Touchy-Feely Books series by Fiona Watt. These are pretty ubiquitous here in Australia (they are actually British), but not sure elsewhere in the world. They are a board book that is extremely robust (not like some of the flimsy constructions out there), they have different textures on each page for them to feel, and bright colours and clear pictures. My son is pretty vain at the moment - so loves the mirror finish on one of the pages of That's Not My Truck.

I agree with Pam that at 11 months X-man is happy with just about anything I read to him - he loves the Melbourne Age newspaper in the morning! Anything with rhyme is good to read aloud, bright clear pictures are the order of the day for board books. At 11 months X-man isn't up to lift-the-flap, pop-up and certainly not vocabulary-enhancing books! (they'll come soon enough I'm sure).

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions - I'm also making a list and adding them to my to-read shelf!

message 41: by Krystal (new)

Krystal Racca Lisa wrote: "Hi Everybody.

I love kids' lit but know books for 3-12 & up better than books for babies and toddlers.

A friend of mine has a daughter who will be 1 year old in about a month and I wanted t..."

~The Very Hungry Caterpillar
~Brown Bear Brown Bear What do You See
~Goodnight Moon
~Bear and Kite
~Goodnight Gorilla
~I Am A Bunny

You can get all of these in Board Book style. They were my sons favorites at age one.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks everybody. Keep the suggestions coming for others but since I posted the little girl is now almost 2 and also I've found a bunch of 0-3 books because of Goodreads. It's great to know there are wonderful books out there for people of all ages.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments I'm so glad people have mentioned Sandra Boynton, as she's one of the few authors I know who actually writes for the younger crowd and has for years. If you still want more suggestions you should check out Beginning with Books' Best Books for Babies list. They're an early literacy organization in Pittsburgh, PA, and every year they select what they feel were the best books for babies published the previous year. They always have great suggestions!

Here's the link:
http://beginningwithbooks.org/bb4b.html

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Emily, Thanks. That's a very useful link. My book club just bought 6 books for a member who is pregnant. It would have been helpful, although we did get just two baby books; the other four are more for preschoolers. When I buy books for pregnant friends, I also like to buy books for older kids that are favorites of mine. The kids will grow into them. But the Beginning with Books site is one I'll revisit.

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments They are a fantastic organization! I actually served there the year I was in AmeriCorps and was really impressed by all the literacy work they do. If anyone lives near or in Pittsburgh, you should definitely go to Storywalk next September. It's a fun event they put on every year in Frick Park. When they read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! they had an actual bus as part of the set. I drove up from Virginia just to see it :)

message 46: by April Ann (last edited Dec 29, 2008 08:30PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) Peekaboo Kisses by Barney Saltzberg Peekaboo Kisses was my daughter's favorite book at that age. It's a touchy feely board book.

I also used to read Winnie-the-Pooh to her.

Oops! I didn't realize how old this thread was! I just joined the group today...hmmm...two years old..definitely go for Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr. and any of his other books for that matter. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

There's some Dr. Seuss board books that are awesome for that age too! Like The Foot Book. The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Bright & Early Board Books(TM)) by Dr. Seuss

message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily Hi Lisa,

I babysit a 1 year old girl and I also work in a classroom of one/two year olds, so I have plenty of suggestions!

All of these come in board-books

We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs! (she has a LOT more books)
Five Little Ducks (pretty much any raffi song made into a book)
The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear
Wheels on the Bus
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
Goodnight Moon, 60th Anniversary Edition
Pat the Bunny
Down by the Station
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Quiet Loud (there are also A LOT more like this one)

message 48: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5457 comments Mod
I'm so glad I found this thread! I was just coming to post one myself and then found all the splendid answers already here. Hooray! My friend's daughter is turning one in October and I want to give them a good book. Looks like I have some decisions to make ;-)

message 49: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Another great piece of reading material I gave my grandson was a subscription to the BABYBUG magazine published by Cobblestone Pub. It's a sturdy board "book" and comes once a month. Now my second grandson is using them too. All of their magazines are wonderful up through high school age. I used many of them when I was teaching school.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Foggo (cherylfoggo) | 21 comments Kathryn wrote: "I'm so glad I found this thread! I was just coming to post one myself and then found all the splendid answers already here. Hooray! My friend's daughter is turning one in October and I want to gi..."
Sandra Boynton's "Little Going to Sleep Book" was our favourite when our children were that age. They also loved Peter Penguin.

« previous 1