Any Daphne Du Maurier fans out there? discussion

D du M's books > Mary Anne

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I just started this one last night and its very good so far. Based on the life of D du M's great-great-grandmother who lived quite a life - including an affair with the then Duke of York.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, that sounds fascinating. I have never seen that book anywhere. How did you find it? It especially sounds interesting since I am reading Daughter of York right now.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments A poster on another board mentioned it and it caught my interest. A fascinating woman and what a life she lead. Its too bad they never filmed it, a very young Katherine Hepburn would have been perfect for the role. The only part that knocked it off a perfect five stars were the courtroom/parliament bits towards the end - they got a bit tedious.

If you don't mind spoilers you can read more about her on Wik, just search Mary Anne Clarke. There's some images of her her as well, http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/sea...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I almost never mind spoilers unless its a who-done-it and I am trying hard to figure out which one did. I enjoyed seeing this especially the lovely watercolors and painting of her.

I will check to see if our library has it. Thanks for the link.

message 5: by A.G. Lake (new)

A.G. Lake Finished reading this novel recently, rated it. reviewed it and am working on answering the reader’s guide questions. Great club here. Reading through du Maurier this year.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Reade (amyreade) | 3 comments This is one I haven't read, but I just put a hold on it at my public library--it's out, due in June. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 8 comments I was disappointed in it - I felt DDM hadn't really decided whether she was writing a novel or a biography and it wasn't properly one or the other.