Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Rote Tasks and Stress Relief

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Somebody in another thread mentioned she didn't want to wash dishes. Question...what weird, rote tasks do you like/hate?

I ask in part because I almost wish we didn't have a dishwasher. I like washing dishes...it's a zen thing for me. The kids don't bother me (lest I recruit them) and I kind of space out and go into the meditative zone for a few minutes.

Vacumning (sp?), however, has the opposite effect. Stresses me out totally. I hate that sound.

You?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Oh, I like to vacuum. I find it soothing, and satisfying in an immediate way. I also really like to do dishes by hand. I was mocked heavily in THC for stating that i hate dishwashers, but I do! They never really give me the same feeling of accomplishment.
There is something meditative about filling the sink with steaming water and bubbles, the cool water rinse each dish gets, and placing them just so in the drying rack.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I hate vaccuuming - too loud. I hate mowing the lawn - also too loud. I don't mind doing dishes, since it usually means that somebody else cooked, which means I ate better than if I had cooked something myself; we have a dishwasher in any case, so I just have to do pots and pans for the most part. I hate doing laundry, since it's three flights down, but I'm usually the one to do it, since otherwise all of my clothes get shrunk and died.
I don't mind dusting, since you can see the before and after difference, but I can't say I do it all that often. For the most part, I hate all household chores.
I wish I could afford a house cleaner.

The funny thing is that I can clean a barn all day. I don't mind sweeping in that context, or mucking. I love cleaning leather. My first job in college was taking apart and cleaning saddles and bridles one day a week, and it was the most zen thing I would do all week. My mother still likes to tell the story of how when I was a kid she could never get me to clean properly, and then one day she picked me up at the barn while I was sweeping the aisle so clean you could eat off the floor. She kept saying "I didn't even know you knew how to use a broom!"

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sue wrote: "I like doing the dishes because I hate having dirty ones in the sink (pity no dishwasher).
I like doing laundry because of the smell of laundry soap and dryer sheets.
I really don't like putting sh..."

Welcome to Terminal Coffee, Sue. I like doing laundry, too, but hate making the bed by myself. All that walking back and forth gets old.
With a partner, though, it goes much faster and it's okay.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments (note to self: check in to duvet covers...)

Sarah Pi, I know just what you mean. I hate vacuuming, and mowing the lawn, and I do laundry because that way my stuff that shouldn't go through the dryer doesn't.
But I can organize my books happily for hours.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments I don't mind laundry but hate to iron.

I just performed a much-loathed, but necessary task--cleaning out the long hair from the shower drain. My two daughters both have long, thick hair and good Lord I think I just recovered about two pounds of it, with a pound of stinky old hair product coating it all. Yuck.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That is the grossest post I have read in a long time. Cynthia deserves a medal.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments No RA, I deserve a medal AND a fucking Blue Ribbon. I'm the champion of gross. Comes from all those years as a mother.

message 9: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I enjoy doing the dishes. I can let my mind wander and I also have a sense of satisfaction that once they are done, they are clean and the dish pan is empty.

Shredding old paperwork is also a mindless task that I enjoy.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Barb wrote: "I rather like doing housework, as long as nobody bugs me while I'm at it. It actually kind of annoys me (sometimes) when my husband helps because it fucks with my internal to-do list and it's not ..."

Why don't you guys come for a visit? I'll take your husband and daughter to a movie, and you can stay at the house for a while...

message 11: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments We never vacuum, all of the floors are hardwood, but I hate sweeping them because it feels like I can never get everything. I don't mind washing the dishes, provided everyone in the house hasn't allowed them to build up over an entire week. I like washing and folding laundry, but I hate putting it away. I prefer to clean when I have the house to myself, so it doesn't happen as much as it should. I used to be able to scrub the house from top to bottom in one weekend, but lately I don't have the energy or drive. I miss the meditative quality of cleaning that I used to experience, before my current job and the extra people in my house complicated everything.

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I hate housework. My husband disappears when I start because I get angry. I hate picking up after other people (I must have been a housemaid or slave in a previous life). I especially hate cleaning the toilet. Why can't men sit down to pee instead of shaking that thing so that spatters go everywhere?

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments but lately I don't have the energy or drive.

TWSS.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Apparently Mr. Barb isn't alone in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY4IMA...

message 15: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) That was hilarious!

message 16: by Ema (new)

Ema | 53 comments There's something I find very calming about the rhythmic and symmetrical procedure of folding and putting away laundry. And I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing my closet neat and tidy.

I detest loading the dishwasher, unloading the dishwasher, cleaning the kitchen, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, mopping the floors, dusting the shelves, etc, etc, etc. So I pretty much hate all housework.

message 17: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Cynthia wrote: "but lately I don't have the energy or drive.

TWSS."

lol, and just when I think my comments are TWSS-free.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Ema wrote: "And I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing my closet neat and tidy."

TWSS.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
I hate washing dishes. There are some things I won't even cook, mostly oven baked things, because the thought of cleaning the baked on gunk is so loathsome.

I don't mind vacuuming at all. There is something very satisfying about watching a dirty or dusty carpet get clean, inch by inch. The noise doesn't bother me. The only thing that might bother me about vacuuming is when you have a vacuum that doesn't work very well, whether it's poor suction or whatever, and then vacuuming is very dispiriting because nothing gets clean.

I loathe mopping. I fear it. I hate it. My fear is the combination of wet messes and dry messes. Dry messes are easy to clean up, wet messes harder, and the two together, I can't even find words to express how heinous this is. The thought of mopping a floor, and the wet mop touching some dry dust in a corner, is just too much.

Stovetop cleaning is hideous.

I've never liked cleaning tubs and showers. Toilets I don't mind at all.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hideous.

message 21: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I like cleaning my bathroom 'cause I love how it smells when it's just cleaned. I actually like buying cleaning supplies.

message 22: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I dislike doing dishes, particularly if someone has put plates with a bit of food still on them in the water filled sink and it floats to the top. I can’t even put my hand in there.

I enjoy vacuuming, now that I have a vacuum that works- for the same reason as LG, I enjoy watching the dirt getting sucked up. I love cleaning washrooms/sinks/showers, I enjoy making them sparkle- so much so that I go over everything with glass cleaner after I clean.

LG- you should look into a steam mop, I don’t like mixing water with dirt either and the steam mop disinfects as it cleans! It’s so hot that that the floor dries within seconds! I love mine.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Maybe I will get a steam mop, then. Can you use them on wood? I have a hardwood kitchen floor.

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim (britishlass929) I love doing laundry, even though it's three flights down. I HATE doing dishes, and will do anything to get out of it. I love cooking though, especially when my other half and I cook together. I'm not really much for vacuuming, but I do like to clean the bathroom - probably because it's the smallest room to clean. I don't mind ironing either; I find it theraputic.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

You have a conjoined twin?

message 26: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments I clean when I get stressed out. It is something I can do w/o thinking and/or fucking up and few complain about it. The marital unit worries if things get too clean or stays too clean for too long. Too much? He says as long as the toothbrush stays out of the cleaning equation, he's OK. If I start cleaning the corners with the toothbrush,he's looking at moving the dog out of her bed so he can get a night's sleep.

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I wish I cleaned when I got stressed out. My house would be cleaner.

message 28: by Cheri (last edited Aug 15, 2011 10:40PM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Don't invite me over. If you nip out to get milk for the coffee, I'll organize your cupboards and alphabetize your soup cans and line them with the labels looking forward. If you stop to talk to a friend, I'll clean your fridge and throw away all the outdated, partially full salad dressings that were in the door. Believe me, it isn't pretty for anyone since I just shit canned your food that you were planning on keeping. I'm sorry. I can't stay for coffee.

message 29: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Wow, Cheri. You must be really stressed.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Cheri, how soon can you get here?

message 31: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments I like washing dishes - warm, sudsy water feels good.

message 32: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Barb wrote: "Slight TMI warning. Mr.Barb sits down to pee."

Does he have a penis?

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments Like Cynthia, I have to do the dreaded drain cleaning. It's beyond disgusting. My most hated household chore is the bathrooms, but I hate it all with a burning passion. I should have been born into money, therefore affording a live in maid.

Barb, Mr. Angela sits to pee, also. Clark, I can't speak for Mr. Barb but Mr. A most definitely is in possession of a penis. He is also in possession of a piercing that, put simply, gave him a second hole, on the bottom side, that also pees. He is kind enough to sit down so that he doesn't spray the bathroom. Actually, he knows I would cause him great bodily harm if he pissed all over the bathroom.

message 34: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Angela wrote: "Like Cynthia, I have to do the dreaded drain cleaning. It's beyond disgusting. My most hated household chore is the bathrooms, but I hate it all with a burning passion. I should have been born into..."

TMI. This is sure to cause me many a tormented and sleepless night.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments Oh Good Lord, I thought my post was plenty gross. You win, Angela.

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I've seen piercings like that. Horrifying to me because my mind always goes to the pain that must have been involved.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments Phil wrote: "I've seen piercings like that. Horrifying to me because my mind always goes to the pain that must have been involved."

He wouldn't let me watch the first piercing he got, which was the prince albert, because he was afraid he might break down and bawl like a little bitch. (the piercer said he didn't). But he let me watch when he got the other two. I think they're called frenums. Sorry to cause you fellas any sympathy pains. It really wasn't that bad, according to Mr. HeMan. Hubs is covered with piercings. Counting pairs as 2, he has 13. Though, he rarely wears the rings in a few of them.

message 38: by Karen K. (new)

Karen K. Miller (karenkm) | 140 comments I used to love to clean the house. Now I just feel likes it gets in the way of my TBR list.
I hate cleaning up clutter, especially when it isn't my clutter. I never know where to put the stuff if it belongs to one of my 3 grown adult children. I used to put it on their bed, thinking they would put it away before going to bed. But no, it ends up on the floor beside their bed. Of course they are always out with their friends so I can't ask them, "What do you want me to do with this?"

message 39: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Maybe I will get a steam mop, then. Can you use them on wood? I have a hardwood kitchen floor."

Not sure if anyone answered this already... I do use mine on the hardwood floor. My living room floor is highly varnished and sometimes it leaves a cloudy film if I take too long to go over a certain spot- but the rest of my hardwood is perfectly fine afterwards.

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) I can't stand cleaning anything in the bathroom. The thought of cleaning a toilet makes me nauseous, even if it was just cleaned.

I like to alphabetize things though, and throwing stuff out gives me this amazing, happy feeling... problem is, I always throw out important things like driver's permits, letters from the bank, family photos, etc with the junk.

message 41: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments I enjoy mowing, and the smell of fresh cut grass, afterwards.

I would rather wash the dishes by hand, then load the dishwasher.

message 42: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Cynthia wrote: "I don't mind laundry but hate to iron.

I just performed a much-loathed, but necessary task--cleaning out the long hair from the shower drain. My two daughters both have long, thick hair and good L..."

Dear God that's foul. I would rather clean the men's bathroom for a year.

message 43: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I wish Mr. Smetchie would sit down to pee. That would be awesome. I dated a guy who did. He was a neat freak. He was also an asshole but but sitting down to pee was nice.

message 44: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Lee wrote: "I would rather wash the dishes by hand, then load the dishwasher."

Why would you wash them then put them in the dishwasher?

I'd rather ask you than assume a typo.

message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments smetchie wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "I don't mind laundry but hate to iron.

I just performed a much-loathed, but necessary task--cleaning out the long hair from the shower drain. My two daughters both have long, thick..."

Um, which men's bathrooms? At a strip club? That might be grosser.

message 46: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments No. Nothing could be grosser. I will do anything, ANYTHING, but the hair in the drain. GAH. I can hardly type it.

message 47: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments lol....

message 48: by Courtney (last edited Aug 21, 2011 05:04PM) (new)

Courtney | 2 comments For me it varies with my mood / day.

Hate cooking , like washing the dishes.
Love folding warm clothes from the dryer, hate pairing up the socks.
Like ironing, but dont really like having to hang up clothes.

Love mowing the grass and weeding in the garden!

message 49: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments Phil wrote: "Lee wrote: "I would rather wash the dishes by hand, then load the dishwasher."

Why would you wash them then put them in the dishwasher?

I'd rather ask you than assume a typo."

Does that sound like a typo, Phil? I'm saying I'd rather wash them by hand. You load them in the dishwasher,wait till it's full to run it... you have a hell of lot more to put away, then doing them by hand as you go! :)
Is that better?

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) lot more to put away, then than doing them by hand

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.