The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) The Eye of the World discussion

W.O.T

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Seth this is an awsome book a little slow at times but the good parts are AMAZING!!!!!

Niels I just ordered the third one, have a few more to go.. Pretty awesome at times.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The whole series is amazing, I've already read 11 books. I'm dying to read The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight, books 12 and 13. And I can't wait to know when A Memory of Light will be released. My blog was named Dragonmountbooks because of this series.

Kataury How many more books is Sanderson doing?

Selena Lang Theres one book left. supposed to be out in early 2012.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Kataury wrote: "How many more books is Sanderson doing?"

Kataury Brandon has already written two books: The Gathering Sotrm and Towers of Midnight, books 12 and 13. Now, he's finishing the 14th book called A Memmory of Light, like Selena said this book will be released in erly 2012.

Nancy Piper I am on the fifth book! Its a little slow, but I can't wait to see what happens to Rand

Niels I'm on the third book, and just ordered the fourth book. So there are 12 books in total? I thought it was like 30 of them. 12 I can do :)

Selena Lang There will be a total of 13 books, but the last book will not be out until early 2012.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "There will be a total of 13 books, but the last book will not be out until early 2012."

I think is 14 books. The 13th is Towers of Midnight. In 2012 A Memory of Light will be release and it'll be the 14th book of the series.

Royalefork There is also New Spring, which is a prequel to all of the other ones, and is also very good.

Selena Lang You are right Cassiana - its 14 books total. Got my numbers wrong :) either way I can't wait for the last book to come out.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Selena wrote: "You are right Cassiana - its 14 books total. Got my numbers wrong :) either way I can't wait for the last book to come out."

Same here. :D

Lauren I've read up to book 10 multiple times (each year I'd re-read the series when the new book came out), and now I'm listening to all of them with my husband. We're currently on book 7. While I still enjoy them a lot, I've found that by listening to them and not being able to skim over anything, I've noticed that Jordan can get extremely long-winded and repetitive, especially when describing people's habits or personalities. How many times does he need to tell us that the Aiel have a strange sense of humor, or that Nyneave has a horrible temper? And is anyone else perplexed by how separate men and women seem to be from one another? It's like none of them can seem to see eye-to-eye simply because they have a different gender. I try to justify it by telling myself that's just how things are in Jordan's world, but it still throws me off balance every now and then. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Niels Hi Lauren, I completely agree with you. I've found that some authors are really good at portraying the male and female perspective, with Jordan in his W.O.T. series it seems to be a bit of a cliche. Again it does kind of tie in to the small village the main characters are from.

Another thing that sometimes annoys me is how everyone is keeping secrets, it comes across as.. hmm... not very realistic. Still in general I do like the story and characters.

Tamer Abdelgawad This series was amazing (and I don't use that word often) until about about book 6, then went seriously off-track around book 7 or so. The 3 books after that got bogged down in endless side-plots, secondary characters, horrible and and condescending male-female relationships, and an insane amount of 'sniffing', 'braid-tugging', and 'shawl-adjusting', culminating in an unreadable book 10. After a storm of internet criticism of Jar-Jar Binks proportions, Jordan tried to pull things together in book 11 and Sanderson did a workmanlike job in wrapping things up, but the magic is definitely gone.

Jarrett *sniffs at Tamer*

10 was bad, I'll give you that, but the rest were ok

I dont know about the guy-girl thing. Im a guy, and whenever two characters were in an arument that was clichely male vs. female, i always agreed with the male, which is, in my opinion, the way it should work.

And really, how many regular relationships are there in the series

Charlie Salame I'm on book 6 :D It's an amazing book..
As @Nancy said, the fifth book is slow :/
But hang in there Nancy, it's all worth it at the end :D
The ending of book 5 is kinda disappointing but book 6 gets better by every word :D
I abandoned book 5 for about 4 months and tried other books, but none filled the passion that WoT kept in me, so i went back to it :D
And now im on book 6 :D
Im glad i sticked to this series

Nancy Piper Charlie wrote: "I'm on book 6 :D It's an amazing book..
As @Nancy said, the fifth book is slow :/
But hang in there Nancy, it's all worth it at the end :D
The ending of book 5 is kinda disappointing but book 6 g..."

Thanks!..I can't wait, then to read book 6!

Jarrett huh, im disappointed in myself, i cant remember how 5 ends. Is that the one with Asmodean, or is that book 4?

Megan For those of you working on the series for the first time, just skip book 11. You don't really need it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series and I can't wait for the next one. It's been that way since I read the first book 12 years ago. But I have NEVER read such a long book where absolutely NOTHING happens. UGH! Jordan created a wonderful world with some really fantastic characters but I think he ran out of steam towards the end. He had so many plans and knew where he wanted it to go, but couldn't quite get it there. I'm so glad Sanderson has taken over (not that I'm glad Jordan died). More happened in The Gathering Storm than in the previous three books combined. And Towers of Midnight was just as good. Can't wait for the conclusion. It promises to be a doosie!!!

Megan For all WoT fans. Check out this synopsis of the series (so far). I died laughing several times.
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/...

Jacob I'm on the great hunt. I'm really really loving this series.

Sahil Udani I gave up after book six. The endless discussion on girly crushes, and the painful description of every fabric in the universe tired me out.

The book starts wonderfully though, but I feel the series could have condensed in 5 books without loosing much of story-line. Hopefully someone comes up with an abbreviated version of WOT some years down :)

Megan I agree. Jordan milked it. And Martin is doing the same if you're reading his stuff too. My problem is that I get so into the characters that I can't let them go. I'm dying to know how it's going to turn out. And the Jordan books are set up to end really well. I can't not be there.

Sahil Udani ^^ You mean Brandon Sanderson?

Now that guy is really talented, I read his debut novel Elantris and was really impressed. His narrative keeps you gripped, without fretting too much on the backdrop.

If you meant George martin, well I have just finished Game of Thrones. Was pretty impressed, reminded me a lot of how WOT started of, but with more etched out characters, and less use of "high fantasy".

Comparing all of the three, Brandon Sanderson is my favorite though. His narrative, character sketches, and some brilliant innovative storyline. I am looking forward to his Mistborn series.

Niels Mistborn was awesome. Sanderson is my favorite too. I'm going to stop after I finished book 4 of WOT. I feel like I'm wasting my time.

message 28: by Lars (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lars i love this serie. i read them all multipul times and i enjoy them all. at times it get a little slow but the good thing with books are u can skim over those places.
love them and was so sad when he RJ died before his work was done but brandon done a good job

Gerald Black The first three books were outstanding, then the story seems to grind to a loud and resounding halt. Nothing seems to happen in 800 plus pages each of the next 6 books.

Laura Megan wrote: "For all WoT fans. Check out this synopsis of the series (so far). I died laughing several times.
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/..."

i am crying it was so funny. I love the Lan parts

Jarrett @ mesage 21: I think that you mean book 10.

Yah, Sanderson is good, and he defiantly has the potential to surpass Jordan, but I don't think he has yet. Mistborn was fantastic, but I just didnt love the characters as much as I did the WoT ones. His Stormlight archive is really whats going to get him places I think.

WoT in 5 book...enh, I dont think that's physically possible. 1 through 4 were all well packed books, 5 was good to, and had more than enough going on. I think that books 8 - 10 could have been made a lot shorter, but they6 certainly didn't wreck the series for me.

To me, it reads more like real life than a book: when Im reading a WoT, I don't feel like I'm sitting on a couch, or just killing some time. Im fully involved with the characters, and their world is just as real as ours. Maybe thats just me, but when Im reading, even though there's not alot of major stuff going on, I still get the same feeling of realism and contentment as when there is a Dumai's Wells happening (for those who havent gotten that far:
a. Dumais Wells was a big battle, and
b. DONT QUIT if nothing else, its worth it for the Gathering Storm

Laura made it to the 9th book! I was freaking out that i had to wait a few days to get my hands on it. Wot withdrawal

Niels Yeah, the 4th book gets really good half way through. I ordered the 5th one even though I said I was going to quit after this one.

Jacob WOT is like a drug, no matter how low you get with it you just want more.

Jarrett Well, we are all about to be cut off in 2012 when the final book comes out. I've never been such a combination of excited and disappointed before in my life!

Andrew For those of you working through the series, all I can say is hang in there. Sure 8 thru 10 are a bit slower but are still enjoyable. The pace really picks up again in 11 and the latest 2 will knock your socks off. A bad WOT book is still better than 70% of the stuff out there.
These are the books that got me started on fantasy and it is still my favourite series many years later.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 22, 2011 03:22AM) (new)

I am currently dragging myself through book 7, I have been dragging since book 5 to be honest =/ If I read the expression "Box his ears" or "Pulled her braid" one more time I will explode. So much pointless repetition and the female characters are just dire.

message 38: by Jarrett (last edited Aug 22, 2011 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jarrett Andrew wrote: "For those of you working through the series, all I can say is hang in there. Sure 8 thru 10 are a bit slower but are still enjoyable. The pace really picks up again in 11 and the latest 2 will knoc..."

I couldnt agree more. WoT made me decide that i wanted to write fantasy, to give others the elation that i have when Im reading a series as good as WoT.

On that note, I have always thought that book 9 (Winters Heart) had one of the best endings in the whole series, in competition with book 2, book 6 and a Gathering storm (12).

Even reading book 10 (inarguably the worst book in the series) I still enjoyed myself more than I did reading A Game of Thrones, or Pride and Prejudice. Same goes for New Spring, which is a prequel and doesn't really have much to do with the plot.

Michael Chantry Megan wrote: "For all WoT fans. Check out this synopsis of the series (so far). I died laughing several times.
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/..."

"Dark Lord: You cannot command me. I command you.

Demandred: BUT YOU DON’T HAVE THE BIG VOICE.

Dark Lord: I should have the big voice.

Demandred: BUT YOU DON’T. SHAIDAR HARAN, GET ME SOME LEMONADE.

Shaidar Haran: Yes, Great Lord.

Dark Lord: No! Shaidar Haran, he’s impersonating me! Don’t get him lemonade.

Shadar Haran: But He’s got the big voice, Great Lord. How can I refuse?

Moghedien: Hey, what’s going on?

Demandred: Check out my impression, Moghedien. Ahem. MOGHEDIEN. YOU DISAPPOINT ME. BUT I WILL GIVE YOU ANOTHER CHANCE TO SERVE THE SHADOW. YOU MUST CRAWL THROUGH MY MAGICALLY LOWERING TUNNEL WITH THE ROCKS GRAZNG YOUR HEAD. THEN YOU MUST LEAP THROUGH FLAMING HOOPS, THEN JUGGLE EIGHT PORCUPINES TO SHOW YOUR LOYALTY TO ME. FROM THIS DAY FORTH, YOU SHALL BE REBORN AS ‘CUCAMONGA.’ THIS I COMMAND. "
lolol

message 40: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Dratnol The series is incredible. It does at times seem as though there are to many plots and characters, but as you wade through it the series becomes well worth it. Sanderson has done a great job of finishing the series and I only hope the last book is as good.

message 41: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Weber Joe wrote: "Sanderson has done a great job of fini..."

I couldn't agree more.

Tamer Abdelgawad Carla wrote: "I am currently dragging myself through book 7, I have been dragging since book 5 to be honest =/ If I read the expression "Box his ears" or "Pulled her braid" one more time I will explode."

I hope you heal fast, because you're going to be doing a lot of exploding in books 8-10 :).

Jarrett I dunno, Nyneave fixes the braid thing, doesnt she? For some reason like 'It shows my true emotions, and that's not very Aes Sedai like'

Niels I don't mind the braid fixing thing, or the dresses being too riske compared to two rivers. I just skip parts like that. It does make me wonder... why? About to start the fifth book, I loved number four as it explains so much.. By this time I know about Nynaeve, and I know Rand things Matt is good with girls and vice versa. But whatever.. I skip it.

Something that has also bothered me is the total apathy these childhood friends often have towards each other. They grew up together in a small town, yet they often show such an enormous lack of interest in each others problems. That bothers me..

I can't wait to get to Brandon Sanderson's books, his characters so far have been better developed. I have a ways to go though..

Kenny Simi I liked the series,I've read all 14 numerous times, but it did have some serious slow sections. Waiting to see how Sanderson wraps all those storylines into a single saga ending book.

message 46: by B.evil (last edited Sep 10, 2011 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.evil Best Fantasy Series of ALL TIME!!! i can say that quite confidently as I have read so many different fantasy authors. yeah he added a lot of side plots, however if you have read all the books you would know they all tie in together with the main plot. it can get slow but after what 14000 pages i would expect that, however, even after death jordan continues to amaze me! the latest book i cried as soon as Rand was mentioned. besides that RAND AL'THOR AKA LEWS THERIN TELAMON, THE DRAGON REBORN, LORD OF THE MORNING, THE CAR'CARN, CORAMOOR, PRINCE OF DAWN, SHADOWKILLER IS THE MOST BADASS HERO EVER...FRODO BAGGINS AND THE SEEKER OR ANY OTHER HEROS FROM OTHER SAGAS AINT GOT SHIT ON YOU!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Nancy Piper blaahh! I am in a slow spurt and can't make my self pick it up again. :( I am about to start book 6, when I can get past some college exams.

Laura Nancy wrote: "blaahh! I am in a slow spurt and can't make my self pick it up again. :( I am about to start book 6, when I can get past some college exams."

U can do it Nancy!

Kenny Simi Kenny wrote: "I liked the series,I've read all 14 numerous times, but it did have some serious slow sections. Waiting to see how Sanderson wraps all those storylines into a single saga ending book."

B.evil wrote: "Best Fantasy Series of ALL TIME!!! i can say that quite confidently as I have read so many different fantasy authors. yeah he added a lot of side plots, however if you have read all the books you w..."

Janny Wurts is better I think, but only by a little...

Laura Anyone think Rand is a manwh**e? lol

« previous 1