Language Lovers discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saira (new)

Saira (herumouni) | 19 comments Mod
Welcome all. While we're here why don't we tell everyone something about ourselves. Even if it's just what language(s) you're learning.

My name is Jerica, but I usually go by Hermonie online. I'm 18, born in Virginia and talk like a Southerner but write like a Brit. My dad is a Marine stationed on Okinawa at Camp Courtney(?). I am very language obsessed learning four languages in depth (Japanese, Latin, Italian, and Scottish). Others I want to learn are Mandarin, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Laos, Russian, Spanish, Portugese, Polish, Greek, Urdu/Hindi, Arabic, Anglo-Saxon, Tolkein's Elvish, Hungarian, Irish, Welsh, German, Hebrew, and Swahili. And I've just named about every language there is. XD I plan to use these for NCIS after college.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I am Whisper Marie and I love learning new languages!!This is a list of languages that I can speak:
Albainian,Arabic,Bulgarian,Catalan,Croatian,Czech Danish,Dutch,Estonian,Fillipino,Finnish,French,Galacian,German,Greek,Hebrew,Hindi,Hungarian,Idonesian, Italian,a bit of Japanese,Korean, Latvain,Lithunian,Maltese,Norweigen,Portugese,Polish, Romanian,Russian,Serbian, Slovak,Slovenian,Spanish,Swedish,Thai,Turkish,Ukrainian,Vietnamese.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments Hi everyone, I'm Rachel. I speak Spanish, and a bit of French. I'm also working on German and Russian, and I plan on learning even more.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments Hi guys, I'm Lee ^-^ I only really speak English, but I've learned a bit of Russian, Japanese, and Spanish. I've forgotten almost all the Russian though D: I'm going to take Spanish in college this fall and I'll keep working on the Japanese in my spare time.

hey you forgot Icelandic Herumouni! xD

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments Hi Lee! Great to have a new member! How could you have forgotten Icelandic? ;)

Good luck with learning Spanish and Japanese. Japanese should be a real challenge. :) What got you interested in it? Most of the people I talk to think it's weird to try to learn anything beyond Spanish or French.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments I wanted to learn a language people considered difficult. I like a challenge ^-^ though learning any language fluently is a big accomplishment in my book... I really like the way Japanese sounds, though I considered learning Chinese but since there are a ton of dialects and it's supposed to be a tonal language I thought it would be too hard.

I really wish I couldv'e studied Russian though... I took a semester in it in high school but almost no colleges teach it, and there are way less resources for learning it than Spanish or Japanese.

I'm taking Spanish because my sister is ^-^ plus there are lots of available resources for it (lots of tv shows in Spanish, etc.)

I'd like to know at one Asian language, one Romance language, and a Germanic language ^_^

So what made you interested in learning German and Russian? Just for fun? ^-^

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments I'm just learning Russian for fun, and I'm learning German because I have a crazed obssession with German rock musicals. I've also started learning Hungarian because I love how it sounds, and because of Hungarian musicals.

I love learning Spanish. And all of the resources do make it a lot easier.

Do you know of the site livemocha.com?

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments No, I've never came across it. Looks like it will very useful though... mind if I add it the resource list?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments Of course you can. :) If you get an account on it, my account name is Merche Sampson.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments Thanks ^-^ I went ahead and added you as a friend. Same name on there is on here~

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments Cool. It's a great site, especially with having native speakers correct you.

message 12: by Saira (last edited Sep 02, 2009 10:48AM) (new)

You're right. Icelandic and Norwegian. XD

Hello everyone!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments Herumouni wrote: "You're right. Icelandic and Norwegian. XD

Hello everyone!"

Hi Herumouni! That is a very impressive list. :D

Good luck! What ones are you working on now?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone!

I am spanish, I speak Spanish, Catalan, English, some French (I'm studying it at the moment) and a little Portuguese. In addition to that, I'm a Spanish teacher for foreigners. I would love to learn German and Russian, and in general any language.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments Hola Flerida!

Welcome to the group! That's awesome that you teach Spanish to others. :D

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments welcome to the group Flerida! ^-^

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments I can understand native German speakers and follow fully paced German conversations! I am so proud of myself! :D

message 18: by Lee (last edited Nov 07, 2009 01:22AM) (new)

Lee | 15 comments Congrats! I'm a bit jealous though :3 I can only pick out a sentence every great once in a while in my target languages. It's starting to happen more often though ^o^

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 14 comments German is the only one I can do it in. XD

Spanish and French people speak way too quickly, and all I can understand in Hungarian so far is one or two word sentences saying who loves who. XD

message 20: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hi I'm leonor and I'm portuguese and I can speak english(obvious), french (still working on it) , Im learning german and I can understand spanish though I cant write it.it resembles a lot to portuguese

message 21: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hi rachel

message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Flerida wrote: "Hello everyone!

I am spanish, I speak Spanish, Catalan, English, some French (I'm studying it at the moment) and a little Portuguese. In addition to that, I'm a Spanish teacher for foreigners. I w..."

olá flerida!Espanha?

message 23: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 1 comments Bonjour! I'm the ashamed Bibliophile. I foolishly started a new topic...
But, I speak English and am learning French. I am interested in learning Japanese.

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma (emghor) | 2 comments Hey, Want to learn Danish?...Then check out my blog:

www.thedanishchallenge.blogspot.com

message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments Welcome guys :3
Japanese is a really fun language to study... it can be a bit frustrating, since it's so different from English, but that also makes it very intriguing and rewarding. I've kind of stalled in my Japanese studies though; I'm mostly just studying new kanji and focusing more on Spanish.

Adrianna [SypherLily] (sypherlily) Ciao tutti! Hey everyone! I'm Adrianna and I'm learning Italian :) this seems like a wonderful group, I'm so surprised there aren't more members, and that it took me this long to find it!

Sadly, I only speak English. I know a little Spanish and Japanese, but all my focus is on Italian now ;)

message 27: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments Ciao! ^-^ I'm not fluent in anything but English yet either, but the learning sure is fun. We're glad to have you hear! Yeah it's a shame it's a bit small but at least it keeps it friendly and cozy.

Adrianna [SypherLily] (sypherlily) Lee, you said you were learning Italian. Are you still?

message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments sadly, no. I've kind of dropped all of my language studying at the moment (my classes this semester have turned out to be a lot more free time-taking than I expected) except for trying to memorize kanji. Italian is a beautiful language though <3 I wish it was more studied, but since it's spoken in so few countries, too many people think it's not useful to them ):

Adrianna [SypherLily] (sypherlily) Ahh mi dispiace tanto :/ ma.. capisco.

If someday you pick it back up again, chat with me in Italian, we can learn together :)

message 31: by Saira (new)

樹利香 wrote: "learning four languages in depth (Japanese, Latin, Italian, and Scottish). Others I want to learn are Mandarin, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Laos, Russian, Spanish, Portugese, Polish, Greek, Urdu/Hindi, Arabic, Anglo-Saxon, Tolkein's Elvish, Hungarian, Irish, Welsh, German, Hebrew, and Swahili. And I've just named about every language there is. XD I plan to use these for NCIS after college."

An update on this:
Japanese, Latin, Italian and Gaelic I am still a beginner in. I haven't studied much lately. XP

I have started Arabic-a family moved in in Norfolk and the parents speak the Egyptian dialect-and French. I only know a few words in both and a little grammar in Arabic.

I know a few letters of the Hebrew and Greek alphabets.

My updated list of what I want to get to:
Irish, Welsh, Anglo-Saxon, Hungarian, Swedish, Afrikaans, Swahili, Pashto, Urdu, Hindi, Dari, Indonesian, Thai, Malay, Mandarin, Ainu, Russian, Mongolian, Ukrainian, Polish, Aramaic, Aymara, Icelandic, Turkish, Czech...I'm missing something...

And I want to join the Marine Corps. My dad is a Marine, my brother and his friend are considering, my best friend is going in as an officer...I plan on taking the DLAB Cat IV as soon as I can. My listening comprehension sucks, though. The recruiter was talking about intel, probably the only place I'll get to use foreign languages.

message 32: by Ren (new)

Ren | 2 comments Hi, I'm Ren! I speak English and am learning Spanish. Next semester I have to take a secondary language elective...I can choose between French or German... I was thinking of taking them both at the same time, although it's not advised.. I don't know; however, I do intend on learning them both in the future.. I've tried to teach myself Russian, French, Chinese, and Hebrew, but failed miserably.. I'll attempt them again! I want to learn Arabic and Japanese though.

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments Hey Ren, welcome! Learning French, German, & Spanish all at the same time might be tricky... I find it difficult to make time each day for just one language, two is even more troublesome... The important thing is to keep at it, even if we lapse for a little while. the information never truly leaves us.

message 34: by Ren (new)

Ren | 2 comments That is true indeed!