Drama and Theatre discussion

Akbar Radi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HM (last edited Jan 11, 2008 01:27PM) (new)

HM Few days ago we missed Akbar Radi, one of the most famous and professional Iranian writers specially in the area of Drama and Theatre. He was part of the golden generation of Iranian playwrights. Generation of Bahram Beizaei, Saedi, Nalbandian and Bijan Mofid. I have asked Professor Ali Ohadi to post an article about Radi in Great Translation group but as this group is much more related to his works, we would be glad to have it here as well.

message 2: by Mojgan (new)

Mojgan Ghafari Shirvan (mshirvan) | 5 comments Mod
Yeah, I think Radi was a great Iranian dramatist (Although we didn't see any good production of his works these years). We'll be glad to have an article about him here, or maybe some discussions about his works.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 12 comments Can anyone recommend a good English translation of his (or other great Iranian playwrights') work? As an American, I don't have much experience of Persian literature, although I have a strong interest. I've read Rumi, and Farid Ud Din Attar, and (as I've mentioned elsewhere) one of the great theatre performances I've ever seen was an adaptation of Avecinna's Recital of the Bird, by my old friend Massoud Saidpour. I'd love to learn more about more contemporary Iranian dramatists. What is this Golden Generation? When did they write?
Thanks!

message 4: by Ali (new)

Ali Hi Joseph
Well, the Golden Generation refers to the generation of writers, poets, daramiatists, visual artists and film makers in 1340's(Iranian calendar) equal to 1960's (gregorian).
I'm not very much aware of what's been translated to English or any other languages, but you can search after Bahram Bayzaii, Gholamhosain Sa'edi, Akbar Radi and Bahman Forsi, since these are the big names among so-called Golden generation.
Persian literature, is another topic, I believe and there are more to-English translated materials in this era ...
hope it helps ..

message 5: by HM (last edited Jan 17, 2008 04:46AM) (new)

HM Regarding to your request I eagerly ask Ali Ohadi and Mojgan to join this discussion in which they are much more expert. But as you are interested in Persian literature I can introduce you Khayyam which had been a great Iranian scientist, poet and philosopher. Edward Fitzgerald has translated his Rubaiyat to English. This translation is known as a masterpiece and is a sample of recreation of Persian literature in other languages. You would find some posts about it in Great Translations group:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...