Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > The Totally Off-Topic Movie Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Jan 11, 2008 10:26AM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
Okay, so we were kind of half-chatting about the X-Men comics and movies in the introduction thread, so I thought I'd create a thread just for chatting about movies in general.

Cassandra, I agree wholeheartedly that the last X-Men movie was an enormous disaster. The director of the first two, Bryan Singer, went off to do that Superman movie, and while Matthew Vaughn (an excellent director) was slated to do X3, he left to work on Stardust and we ended up with that hack Brett Ratner. UGH. Way to ruin a franchise, guys. They especially managed to screw over my favorite character, Jean Grey (Wolvie's right up there with her, heh).

I'm hoping the Wolverine movie will be good, but at this point I've decided to go in with rock-bottom expectations. That way, if it turns out to be good, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :p

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 9 comments Since you brought up chatting about movies in general - has anyone seen "I am Legend" with Will Smith. I went to see that this past weekend. It was okay but could have waited til the DVD was out in rental. I have not been to the movies in a while. I was surprised at how rude people are nowadays in the theaters. People were talking out loud in the audience and answering cell phones, etc. No staff member ever came to check on the theater and this behavior just continued on. When a few people shouted at them to shut up, they shouted back some profanities. I am starting to want to just stay home and watch movies.

message 3: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I saw I Am Legend around Christmas. I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't have any sort of expectations, because I'd never seen Omega Man and knew nothing about it. I did think it was one of Will Smith's best performances. It's nice to see him maturing as an actor, because I really like him.

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments "I Am Legend" was very unlike the book, from what I've been told. I've seen the other two movies based on it, and enjoyed them more. They went too dark and gritty with this version, although they totally changed the ending and made it uplifting, and in doing so negated the entire point of the story in the book.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) | 9 comments Have any of you seen Sweeney Todd yet? I thought it was amazing. I love Johnny Depp & Alan Rickman & I thought both of their performances were excellent. I was highly amused by the blood as it was very obviously fake. The music was awesome too - Johnny Depp has a great voice! All in all a really cool movie, though I've never seen the original movie or the play (I'd like to, some day).

message 6: by Diane (last edited Jan 15, 2008 04:58AM) (new)

Diane | 7 comments I originally watched the Charleton Heston version a long time ago on late night TV. good moving, but I didn't really get it then. When the newest one came out, I made a point of going out and reading the book. Its really a novelette or short story. Its very good, but I don't know how similiar it is to the newest movie. California - New York, no military.
The Charleton Heston movie was called "The Omega Factor" and was based on "I am Legend"

I will eventually go see the newest movie though.

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 9 comments I had doubts about going to see Sweeney Todd because I did not know if it was gory. You said that the blood was obviously fake. Does that mean it was not gory but more amusing??

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 9 comments Was the Charleston Heston movie "Sweeney Todd" or "I am Legend"??

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 14, 2008 07:21AM) (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments The only movie I have been to the theater to see recently was Atonement. It was very good. Well acted, and well cast, but very depressing. I tend to wait for movies to comeout on DVD, then add them to my Netflix cue...

message 10: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Stacie: Charleton Heston was in The Omega Man, which is an adaptation of the novel I Am Legend.

Lynn: I did see Sweeney Todd and I REALLY enjoyed it. I'm a huge Tim Burton fan anyway, and I saw the PBS stage production of the musical in a theatre class a few years ago and thought it was creepy and hilarious. I was impressed by all of the performances in the film (HOORAY, Johnny finally won a Golden Globe!), and I agree, the blood was cartoonish and hilarious. The movie was probably the most violent film Burton has done, not just because of the spurting blood, but it was creepy and beautiful and quirky and funny.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I didn't know they were doing a Wolverine movie, but I'm not surprised.

The third X-Men movie made sense plot-wise and tied up the trilogy, but yeah, it was ... not good. It just seemed all over the place, and it sucks when beloved characters cark it like that!

message 12: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I guess because I've been reading the comics for years, I thought the 3rd film was a rushed mishmash of at least two storylines lifted from the comics, either of which could have made an excellent movie. The Dark Phoenix Saga is probably the most famous X-Men storyline and, IMO, definitely deserved its own film (I wrote my thesis on this storyline, so I'm just a bit biased, haha). The cure plotline was lifted from Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men and is a VERY compelling story. I think that by cramming the two stories together, they weakened both of them. And don't get me started on what a hack director Brett Ratner is. I miss Bryan Singer!

Mooooving right along, has anyone else seen Stardust? The book was my first Neil Gaiman read, and I absolutely love fairy tales, so I went into the movie worried. I was SO pleasantly surprised by it. The adaptation definitely differs from the book, but it felt like it took the soul of the book and expanded it into something even more whimsical and fantastic and utterly believable. Charlie Cox was great as Tristan and I will NEVER look at Robert DeNiro the same way again, haha.

message 13: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I'm right there with you on Stardust! I read the book a few years ago and got pretty excited when I heard about the movie. The previews looked awesome, and the movie definitely didn't disappoint! It was so great!! We actually just got it on Netflix last night, and I can't wait to watch it again!!!!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I've read the book, and loved it, but haven't seen the movie yet. Got it on my Netfilx cue, but there's a long wait. I'm glad that you both liked it. That means I probably won't be disappointed with it myself. :)

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Stardust:

I loved both the book and the movie. For once, the movie makers got it right. I only wish they had not cast Robert De Niro in it. I don't think he quite fit, but maybe that was just me. I, too, got it from Netflix and had to go buy a copy for myself because it really is a great movie.