Science Fiction Films discussion

Where is everybody?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
There hasnt been much activity lately...where'd everybody go?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Umm... Well I'm here, sort of. :)

message 3: by Kandice (last edited Mar 20, 2009 03:46PM) (new)

Kandice Me too, I just don't have anything intellectually stimulating to say.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) It's Spring. Too pretty to be inside.

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie I think the sci-fi movies I am interested in latley are not really for this group.. the new Star Trek, Race to Witch Mountain, Land of the Lost. I haven't seen any serious sci-fi latley. Did everyone see that the sci-fi channel is changing it's name to syfy?

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Syfy? What??

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice No, and that makes no sense!

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i had some internet connection issues this week, but they're straightened out now, and i'm just about to post on alien....

message 9: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 342 comments Mod
I just finished my home theatre after two months of work and setup; much of my free time was drywall, painting, etc...and I watched very few movies. But now it is complete and viddied 2001 and BLADE RUNNER on Blu-ray! My modest setup includes an elite JVC DLA-RS10 projector which will be reviewed in a major publication. The calibrator is writting his technical evaluation for a few professional Videophile magazines and websites: I'll keep you informed.

SYFY??? That's a cruel joke, right??

message 10: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
Hopefully it is my brothah, hopefully it is. I cringe at even 'sci-fi' so syfy scares me even more

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Alex, can we all come watch movies in your new theater? :D

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip yeah, alex - i'm packing my bags now...just type in directions to your place on this thread....

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) The SyFy thing is not only true, but they actually paid big money for the right to do so.
http://www.airlockalpha.com/news42616...

Obviously, they have executives who sit on their brains & too-influential marketing people who think they can overcome poor programming by packaging dreck in a different form.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rob wrote: "Yet another reason for me to hate the human race."

ditto.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie I too have a home theater though I don't know the specs. Panasonic 1080 whatever. But I love it!

message 16: by Alex DeLarge (new)

You're all invited:) Just let me know when you are in Central PA!

Rob, you crack me up...and I'm right there with 'ya brotha! Whatever happened to the halcyon days of the channell when Harlan Ellison actually narrated all 18 PRISONER episodes? Now I feel like I'm in a Chalie Kauffman film...

message 17: by Phillip (last edited Mar 22, 2009 11:36AM) (new)

Phillip when i was a kid, "Chiller" was on every sunday afternoon at 5 o'clock. they featured all the great horror movies...does anyone remember that? (or am i just way too old?)

nowadays, there are a ba-zillion channels and nothing on worth watching. so much for progress.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm in NEPA Alex, I'll be there in a couple of hours! ;)

Regarding cable TV programming: I barely watch TV, so I don't have cable... But who needs 1000+ channels if there's nothing on anyway?

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie I have to confess I am obsessed with TV!

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Angie wrote: "I have to confess I am obsessed with TV! "

Not me... I bought a DVR/DVD Recorder so that I could record Heroes, but then I completely forgot about watching the episodes I recorded. Now the stupid thing is a really expensive back-up DVD player!

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip definitely!

on friday night we had elvira...eventually. i don't think she came along until the latter part of the 70's. chiller was around in the 60's. that is also where i "cut my teeth" on horror films.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I grew up watching Tales from the Crypt... Ahh, the Cryptkeeper and his maniacal laugh. Brings back memories.

I really should get those on DVD.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy_falbe) | 9 comments Yeah, TV is pretty much a wasteland. And the long slow pathetic death of Sci Fi Channel has been awful. I don't buy cable/satellite anymore. I buy a Netflix subscription. I watch TV shows on DVD now. I get all the Showtime or HBO shows that are good and all the old classic TV shows I feel like watching. All for easily half the price of cable. Plus it's all on my schedule and w/o commercials. What the heck is SyFy supposed to mean anyway? Glad I'm not paying for that anymore.

message 24: by Alex DeLarge (new)

I just don't watch TV except for Flyers hockey and we pay for the lowest tier of basic cable packaging from ScumCast. Even TCM was taken away from basic cable and is now available only through digital upgrade...and that was the only channell I would watch movies on: no commercials, uncut, and excellent introductions and interviews. I don't even have cable hooked into my new theatre, but I can watch any Blu-ray or DVD from any part of the world: The selection is much better:)

Phillip, I don't believe Chiller was shown on the East Coast but I grew up with Dr. Shock on the Saturday Afternoon matinee: starting at 1pm, he would rise from his cardboard coffin and drool about the next schlocky horror & science fiction flick...and I loved every minute of it! Those 4 hours every Saturday spent with my mother are some of the most profound memories I have, and when I see a Bert I Gordon flick I sometimes get all teary-eyed. Oh how I loved EMPIRE OF THE ANTS.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Tracy wrote: "Yeah, TV is pretty much a wasteland. And the long slow pathetic death of Sci Fi Channel has been awful...."

Not 'SciFi' but SyFy. Yes, there is always a lower standard, no matter how hard it is to imagine. There are various levels of Hell.

I pay for 250 channels, mostly so I can get a dozen that seem to syncronize their commercials. We love the DVR for Antiques Roadshow, Jeapordy, ER, Heroes & a few others. Occasionally there are good cartoons on. Unfortunately, there are very few episodes. I think they took Kim Possible off & I've seen all the Fairly Odd Parents that there are & I only catch it occasionally. (The Boss is happy about that, she hates both shows.)

I really get tired of them chopping up movies, though. They'll take what was a 2 hour show, cut 25% of it out & expand it to 3 hours so they can fit in excess commercials. There's worse though. Ever seen G4? They shrink the show down to fit in really lame text messages.

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Text messages? On TV? I'm confused.

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'd love to be able to help you, Rob, but I have no idea how Twitter works or what it's for or why it exists. Please share with us when you find out.

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy_falbe) | 9 comments Twitter is most easily explained as a mini-blog. You can only post statements of about 140 words. You can include a link if you want. You follow the statements, known as "tweets" of other people if you want to. And other people follow your tweets. You can reply to other people too and comment on what they say.

It's basically a place to waste time but you can run across interesting things. I'm on twitter as an experiment. I use it to promote my recipes website, so I "tweet" every time I add a recipe.

Twitter seems stupid to me, but what do I know? As I said, I'm experimenting with it as a promotional tool for a website. I think that is what everyone else on twitter is doing as well.

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie Ha! I love Rob!

message 30: by Phillip (last edited Mar 24, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

Phillip everybody loves rob. it's the right thing to do.

message 31: by Angie (last edited Mar 24, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Angie Back to Twitter... it is a little weird to me too. I get these invites from my friends who are on there to follow their twitter. Personally I don't care what they are doing all day... but a lot of people are really into Twitter right now.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) 1:32:54 EST March 24, 2009 AD: At work, listening to co-workers talk, on GR. Eating raw almonds.

What do you guys think? Would you follow my tweets? ;) Haha! I'd be the worst tweeter ever probably.

message 33: by Phillip (new)

Phillip ain't it like a woman to tell you she loves you and then she wants to get right back to work...

message 34: by Angie (last edited Mar 24, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Angie Yea my twiiter would be boring as hell:
12:12 watching breaking bad, about to fold laundry, checking GR posts, trying to get over a cold.

Entertaining!

message 35: by Phillip (new)

Phillip fell better soon!

message 36: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Not so interested in dog vomit...

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Indeed Rob. ;)

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Love you too Rob! <3

message 39: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hence the vomit!!!! Just not of the dog variety!

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam would you guys keep the Rob-love down to a dull roar ... i can hear you all the way over in the Stephen King threads ... geeeez!

(kiddin')

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) HA! That was good Sam!

message 42: by Phillip (new)

Phillip rob makes waves everywhere he goes...

message 43: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ha ha! He's just so loveable we can't help ourselves.

message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam Angie wrote: "Back to Twitter... it is a little weird to me too. I get these invites from my friends who are on there to follow their twitter. Personally I don't care what they are doing all day... but a lot o..."

Angie - we could set up a Tweet-fest about this month's SK book - just as an experiment of course! ... so at a certain time of the day (at your local time) you Tweeted a sentence from the page you were on ...

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I'm home sick today & just watched "The Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price. I think it's the first movie made of Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" book. I have a vague hope of watching "The Omega Man" with Charleton Heston, then the latest movie with Will Smith & reading the book sometime soon.

Has anyone else done this marathon? I think it's going to be fun to see different Hollywood takes on the same story. What do they show to make the points?

In "The Last Man" there are lots of pictures of a burning pit for the bodies & he's killed by the new race of man that has been infected, but learned to live with it. The dog doesn't show up until 3/4 of the way through & lasts maybe 5 minutes. All the rest is showing how it happened & how lonely he is.

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I saw the Will Smith version first, then read the book and then watched "The Last Man on Earth" and "The Omega Man". I'm pretty sure that this was all within a couple of days.

It's really interesting to look at the different takes on the book in each movie. I think that Charlton was a better Neville than Price (not that I don't love Vincent Price!) but I liked "The Last Man On Earth" more than "The Omega Man".

In any event, they are all good movies and worth a day spent watching them! Hope you feel better soon, Jim. :)

message 47: by Phillip (new)

Phillip yeah, take care of yourself!

message 48: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Jim, hope you're feeling better!

I'm a Matheson fan so I've read all his books and short stories, and have seen his films. I wish he had adapted I AM LEGEND for the screen, like he did THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE or SOMEWHERE IN TIME. I hated the Will Smith version and have a nostalgic fondness for the Heston film, which I watch at least twice a year. Actually, I think I'll watch it again tonight on Blu-ray:) Thanks!

message 49: by Phillip (last edited Mar 26, 2009 03:30PM) (new)

Phillip really, you're a big fan of the omega man? hmn. i haven't seen it since i was a kid. i have no idea how it holds up (pretty well for you, obviously!). i don't remember liking all that much when i saw it in my teens. of course, lots of things have changed since then!

i didn't see the will smith version, nor the vincent price version. not sure i'm going to get around to those.

legend of hell house is a good one, though!

somewhere in time...that's sounds familiar. can you refresh my memory, alex?

i re-watched the fifth element last night....there's some good fun in that one. not an unforgettable film, but it has some good bits. bruce willis doesn't annoy me so much in that one, and gary oldman...i'm a big fan (i'm sure i've said that before on countless ocassions). and whatshername the super model is also not so annoying in that one.

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I saw the Will Smith version prior to reading the book, and maybe that's why I don't hate the movie the way that others do (aside from the ridiculous CGI), but it definitely doesn't have the feel that the book has. I almost always favor books over movie adaptations, and this is no different. The story itself is great, and in my opinion, none of the movies really do it justice. That's not to say that they aren't good movies- just that I prefer the book.

I love Will Smith though, and I'd probably watch him taking out his trash if they'd film it. ;)

« previous 1