Literature & Film discussion

film bios

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gemma (new)

Gemma collins Hi, has anyone seen or know of any film biographies of authors that they've really liked? I want to find some good film bios for a literary festival and it would be great to show some interesting docus, not mainstream things like Capote. Any ideas?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 111 comments There are a handful of good documentaries on Kerouac, one good one on Burroughs, though for the latter there's also Cronenberg's "Naked Lunch".
Win Wenders' "Hammett" is a fictional adventure about the author, but could make a companion piece to Zinneman's "Julia".
Paul Schrader's "Mishima"
There's an interesting film about the Japanese author Edogawan Rampo called "The Mystery of Rampo".
Will Vinton's animated "Adventures of Mark Twain"
Ruiz' version of Proust's "Time Remembered"

And though he's not necessarily considered an "author" - though he should be after "Chronicles: Volume 1" - Todd Haynes' Dylan film "I'm Not There" is a very new concept of a film biography...

message 3: by Gemma (new)

Gemma collins thankyou, thats great, loads i haven't heard of. I really didn't like "I'm Not There" actually, although it was a great idea for sure..will look up those others..

message 4: by Gemma (new)

Gemma collins anyone else??