The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Rory Book Discussions > Northanger Abbey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Jan 11, 2008 03:16AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
So how are you fairing with Jane Austen's first sold but last published book?

message 2: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Okay, I'm having fun with this one. But I'm reading an antique copy - gorgeous to look at and fascinating when thinking of all those that read it before, but this means no underlining. So I'm going to instead post some of my "underlines!"

message 3: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

First up:

"As far as I have had opportunity of judging it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing among women is faultless, except in three particulars."

"And what are they?"

"A general deficiency of subject, a total inattention to stops, and a very frequent ignorance of grammar."

I thought that so funny! You think of smartarses as being a modern thing... or at least not traditional!

message 4: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

"Thank you; for now we shall soon be acquainted, as I am authorised to tease you on this subject whenever we meet, as nothing in the world advances intimacy so much."

Seriously, I was just thinking about that earlier... my family loves to tease, but as a result we get to know people so quickly and easily.

message 5: by Sera (new)

Sera Michele, I loved all of those quotes. I'm on Chapter VII of the book, and I find it to be light-hearted and well-paced. In fact, the pace of the book is so good that it reminds me of the clip-clop, clip-clop of a horse. I know that may sound weird, but I find it to be quite pleasant.

NA is supposed to be part satire. Evidently, most novels during that time were supposed to be static in that the people really don't change from the beginning to the end of the book. However, Austen didn't follow this format, and in addition, she took on a satirical tone. Satire was a relatively new concept during this time, and one mostly only undertaken by men.

I agree that teasing is a great way to gain intimacy with someone else. It also creates an inside joke between the parties, which increases familiarity.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Tsk, tsk, Michele... I thought we weren't supposed to discuss this one until the 14th? :) You're gonna get voted off the island! LOL!!

(I jest because I love.)

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Jan 11, 2008 09:45AM) (new)

Meghan Or at least have to eat a bird fetus. I think that's the punishment for at least two others. heh (along with being force fed the "dreaded" Great Gatsby! ha ha)

But I think the second book was scheduled to discuss on the 11th this month.

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan While I haven't started it, you give me hope Sera because one thing I haven't found with either P&P or S&S is that they read quickly. I can't say that about Emma because I disliked that book so much. If memory serves though I did get through it fairly easily though.

I like your clip-clop comparison. Although now I have horses meandering through my brain! Oy with the poodles. heehee

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Jan 11, 2008 09:59AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh poop, you're right, it WAS the 11th. As Lizzie from P&P says, "Oh, dear, I cannot tease you about that. What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh." (in the movie, not the book. In the book I thinks she says "I really cannot laugh at it. You are safe from me.")

message 10: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Since NA has two volumes, how about separating the thread into two just in case some of us haven't finished? I myself am still dusting myself off after Atonement.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments I also love that Austen is satirizing the dark Gothic literature of the time with her lighthearted characters who are obsessed with reading Gothic novels. I got a kick out of that. The satire is a bit heavy handed, but I am enjoying it!

message 12: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 12, 2008 09:50PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I started this last night, and actually felt guilty thinking that we weren't supposed to start 'til the 15th. Duh! This is so much fun to read.

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera "Oy with the poodles" - LOL

Erin, I think that satirizing the Gothic novels is an interesting twist. Who would have thought that horror was in then? And, especially with women.

Meghan, I haven't read Austen since high school, so I'm hoping that I enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed the others.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Jan 11, 2008 04:03PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I don't think Gothic novels are necessarily horror. They can be, but they aren't always. The Brontes wrote Gothic novels but they weren't horror.

message 15: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

But in this case, what the girls are reading (and the guys pretending not to) is Gothic novels of the horror variety - what IS behind the black veil? Will we ever know??? IS it Laurentina's skeleton?? (I love that she gives such fanciful names to the characters in these novels!)

Dini... are you thinking of Middlemarch by George Elliot perhaps? That is in two volumes. Northanger Abbey is quite short, actually. And as Sera very effectively said, a smooth and easy read. It's kind of like giggling so far to me... little lilts of champagne bubbles then a breath and more bubbles of delight. But the clip-clop reference was very accurate and inventive!

I've taken to marking up a prized copy because there is to much good in it! Hey, it's MY prized copy after all!

message 16: by Arielle (last edited Jan 11, 2008 07:56PM) (new)

Arielle | 120 comments You guys are great!
"Oy with the Poodles" is never ever going to get old, and I think I might start saying it (which could be unfortunate as I am the only Gilmore Girls aficionado that I know other than in cyberspace). That was a long sentence, which brings me to Northanger Abbey. Have to say, the first 20 pages held promise, but were really hard for me to get through. But I was bummed out from a fruitless hunt for boots, and eventually this book cheered me right up. I'm still not done yet, but I too love the Udolpho sidebar. And I pray Catherine comes out of her shell enough to shut Mr. Thorpe and his smarmy sister down!
And that conversation in Message 3 (above) is one of my favorites too.

message 17: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Michele, my copy of NA by Oxford World's Classics does have two volumes in one book, combined with other short Austen works. But yes, it is quite short. And fun, judging from what you guys are saying, which actually makes me more excited to read it. This group rocks!

message 18: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Jan 12, 2008 04:01AM) (new)

Arielle, I say "Oi with the poodles, already" all the time, and no one knows what the heck I'm talking about. My cousin said to me today after I used that phrase that it sounded familiar. He thought it was from a movie, and when I told him what it was from he was like, "Oh. So I must'uv heard you say it before then." It was hysterical. Oh, and please don't blame him for not watching GG - he lives in Bangladesh.

Dini, totally agree this group rocks. And it IS a really fun read! I need to reread more Austen (besides Pride & Prejudice as that is a given to reread over and over). You forget how brilliant she is! So dang witty.

message 19: by Sera (last edited Jan 12, 2008 06:46AM) (new)

Sera NA is a good match for Atonement, too. To go from a such a heavy read to something so light is a nice way to mix things up.

But wait - the Thorpes are swarmy? Oooooo, must do more reading today.

One more thing - I love this quote:

Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.

Isn't that so true? And what I like about it, too, is that applies to both men and women.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Michele, I love the wit in Sense & Sensibility. Pretty much everything about Mrs. Jennings and the Palmers is hilarious.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Sera,

I underlined that in my book as well. I LOVE that quotation.

message 22: by Sera (new)

Sera Dini, my book is also in two volumes. I've just started Volume II. I also have a "neat" bio on Austen and an Introduction, which I intend to read after I finish the book to avoid any spoilers.

Erin, the beginning of my book (does anyone else have the B&N version?) has the quote listed as well. I laughed when I saw it, because I guess that the B&N liked that quote, too. They have a bunch listed with page numbers, which is pretty interesting.

message 23: by Dini, the master of meaning (last edited Jan 13, 2008 08:20AM) (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Sera, isn't it funny how the "Introduction" often reveals too much that we prefer to read it as an afterword? I just began Volume II as well after whizzing through Volume I. And fun it was indeed! It's kinda like watching a romantic comedy. I find this part in Chapter V really amusing:

"Mrs. Allen... never satisfied with the day unless she spent the chief of it by the side of Mrs. Thorpe, in what they called conversation, but in which there was scarcely ever any exchange of opinion, and not often any resemblance of subject, for Mrs. Thorpe talked chiefly of her children, and Mrs. Allen of her gowns."

This is exactly how my mom often speaks to her acquaintances. Am afraid of turning into her in the future...

And the Thorpe siblings are really annoying, especially John, with all his talk about his horses, his carriages, blah blah blah. I love it when Catherine pretended she didn't hear him! This one's funny too, from when he made his sorry attempt at a proposal to Catherine:

"Did you ever hear the old song, "Going to one wedding brings on another?" ...then you know, we may try the truth of this same old song."

"May we?--but I never sing."

Hilarious.

message 24: by Sera (new)

Sera Dini, I agree completely with everything that you stated in your post. Mrs. Allen is the epitome of superficiality. There's a point later in the book when Catherine meets up with Mrs. Allen after she has been away for awhile and something bad happens to her during that time, and all Mrs. Allen can talk about is Bath, her hats and her gowns.

It's funny because all Mrs. Thorpe has is her children and all Mrs. Allen has is her social life so between the two of them this is all that their lives have become. I really like how Austen tells so much about her characters by what they say and do without banging the reader over the head with it. In my review, I wrote of her ill-advised use of the omniscient narrator. I don't think that she needed it, because she brings so much out of the characters and the story itself by just telling the story. The omniscient narrator is an unnecessary technique in my humble opinion, which becomes a flaw in her writing. It makes sense, though, because this was her first book. It actually made me appreciate the craft of writing a bit more.

message 25: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments That's interesting, I wondered about the narrator thing. I kept expecting that at the end she would tell us that this was Catherine's diary (which wouldn't really have made sense, but just seemed possible for some reason). It was a great book, but I kind of thought everything was a bit too neat and tidy by the end (can't say more without spoiling :-( ). But it was a fantastic read, thanks for picking it everyone!

message 26: by Sera (new)

Sera Arielle, I agree with the ending - it was a bit of "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" kind of thing, but overall, I'm glad to have read the book.

message 27: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Okay, more great quotes...

After Catherine had explained to Henry Tilney what had happened when missing their walk together there was this:
"Is there a Henry in the world who could be insensible to such a declaration?"
Too adorable!

THIS next bit is a true classic:
"A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can."
Ohmigod!

I also liked the whole paragraph that followed about how the discussion moved from subject to subject and then...
"he shortly found himself arrived at politics; and from politics it was an easy step to silence."
Hahahahaha!

But the next one had me literally laughing out loud - quite hard and long - in the middle of the night...
Tilney supposedly apologizing, but really just laughing: "Miss Morland, no one can think more highly of the understanding of women than I do. In my opinion, nature has given them so much that they never find it necessary to use more than half."

Lastly, that insipid Isabella being as false as one can be with: "Where people are really attached, poverty itself is wealth."

This really is a fun book. I'm so pleased to be re-reading it with you all!

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Michelle I loved that quotation about women "knowing" things. I also liked this one that follows shortly...
"The advantages of natural folly in a beautiful girl have been already set forth by the capital pen of a sister author;--and to her treatment of the subject I only add in justice to men that though to the larger and more trifling part of the sex, imbecility in females is a great enhancement of their personal charms, there is a portion of them too reasonable and too well informed themselves to desire anything more in women than ignorance."

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I am just finishing up Chapter 7 and I have been pleasantly surprised at what a light read this is! The only other Austen I have read is P&P and that was in college for a humanities class. I can remember very little about it as I am sure I was way to busy socializing! But I must admit that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the BBC version with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy.

Anyway, Sera, that quote about friendship totally caught my eye as so true. It just goes to show that even though times change, we as people tend to have the same ideas about friendship. Anytime I have a man problem (and I'm married), I usually turn to my friends, even if it's just for a little gripe session. I can already tell that I am so not going to like the Thorpe family and I am also regretting reading the introduction. It irritates me that they put to much info in that. I think they have misnamed it and should have used the word conclusion. (I'm reading the B&N version.)

Anyway, off to read a little bit before bed! Happy reading!

message 30: by Sera (new)

Sera Tiffany, I saved the introduction until after, because after I read a few paragraphs, I realized that it was summing up the whole book! I don't like that approach either. However, I have to admit that the B&N version offers so many extras that I really enjoyed - it reminds me of the extras on DVDs - heh.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments I just picked up my copy at the library today and just finished the first chapter. This will be my first Austen, so I'm pretty excited to read this book. I'll check back later once I've read a little futher.

message 32: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Dec 29, 2008 03:41AM) (new)

These are all good posts. I have to say, I never read the introduction. And I try to avoid the backs of books as much as I can. I hate spoilers! I love going into books (and movies) without having a clue as to what I'm going to see (although I do generally skim movie reviews so I don't waste my time on total crap.)

BIG TIME NORTHANGER ABBEY SPOILERS!!!

So. Northanger Abbey. Well, there's no way I can post all of my markings and musings, but I'll stick to a few favorites (many of which you all have already claimed). I love Michele's quote about the "Henrys" of the world.

O.K. On Catherine: "From fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine." Sweet youthful, romantic notions.

On parody: I love the way Austen is tongue-in-cheek about, "well, this is where you'd expect me to go on and on about so and so and their back-story and what not, but you're not gonna get it here. Making fun of other writers? or herself?

On Mrs. Allen: She had found her friends "by no means so expensively dressed as herself." Good fortune, indeed.

Isabella: This creature. She claims that men claim women "incapable of real friendship", but of course, she's out to prove them wrong with her loyalty, selflessness, and sincerity. (all in air quotes).

John Thorpe tells "lies to increase his importance."

I love it when Catherine starts to get really mad that the others are trying to sway her to go on the carriage ride, but she's starting to doubt their sincerity. The tides are turning here.

Austenism: "No man is offended by another man's admiration for the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment." (meaning the woman's returned affections--it's a little out of context)

Catherine is starting to catch on. "The visions of romance were over. Catherine was completely awakened." She becomes "ashamed of Isabella. Ashamed of ever having loved her."

Then she returns home and "how altered a being she did return!"

O.K., this is my last favorite part and then I'll shut up. I love it when Mr. Tilney is about to tell Catherine about why she had to leave NA, and "Such was the permission upon which he had now offered his hand." (He takes her hand). So sweet. And Mr. Tilney (the papa) turns out to be nasty...Catherine comes to think that in believing he murdered his wife she had not "sinned against his character or magnified his cruelty."

But, yes, it all ended conveniently with Tilney's sister (already forgotten her name, forgive me, Jane) marrying well, so Catherine & Henry can be together. Still sweet. These are my favorite kinds of stories.

message 33: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Dec 29, 2008 03:41AM) (new)

I'm back. O.K., someone should mention the reference with the black veil is from The Mysteries of Udolpho by Anne Radcliffe (please correct me if I'm screwing this up), and it's actually a novel as well as all of the other Gothic novels Isabella and Catherine are discussing. (I know it was alluded to in above posts...)

Regarding the narrator...I thought it was awesome how the readers are allowed to loathe so many things about characters that Catherine never catches onto (in her immaturity). I felt like Austen trusted her readers to "get it." I guess that could be said of all comedy.

message 34: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Hey, now, let's not be bad mouthing Catherine. I don't think she was immature... just naïve. BIG difference.

And yes, they are real books and some of them, including Udolpho, are on that "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list. But can you imagine if someone were doing that today... like totally poking fun the books all the women are raving about these days? Oh-oh-oh!! Like if someone wrote a book poking fun at the Oprah books and their following!

Oh, and Austen trusting her readers (to loath or to laugh)... really good point, but no not all comedy does that sadly. But the best does.

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Ramblings...

Now Michele, Oprah does pick some good books for her book club. I like that she gets real literature out to the masses. To make Tolstoy a bestseller is quite a feat! :)

I just finished NA, and I LOVED IT! So glad we chose this. I almost like it more than P&P (although my crush on Mr. Darcy prevents that).

For all you Austen fans, there is a novel that a friend who works in publishing let me read the manuscript of (so cool!) called Austenland. It is about this vacation spot that is like Disneyworld for Austen lovers. The main character goes there and gets an Austen identity and everyone dresses in period clothing and has tea. It's really chick-lit, but it's fun!

message 36: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Oooo! I'd read that! (Austenland.) Keep us informed.

But the books Austen spoke of are considered good books to this day. So I'm not saying the books are bad per se, but poking fun at the "following" and hype that accompanies them as she did.

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I especially liked Austen making fun of the novels of her day, and a little bit their readers, after her narration, at the end of Chapter V, about how she wasn't one of those narrators who degrades novels.

"Yes, novels;--for I will not adopt that ungenerous and impolitic custom, so common with novel writers, of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances, to the number of which they are adding--joining with their greatest enemies in bestowing the harshest epithets on such works, ans scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine, who, if she accidentally takes up a novel, is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust."

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK kids, I haven't read the posts in this thread because I'm only in chapter 6 and I don't want to read spoilers. But I did have a couple of thoughts, so I'm sorry if they have already been mentioned here. Apologies also if the thoughts are not coherent, but I have not yet had my coffee.

Courtney - I do see your post above me and that is one of the things I wanted to mention. I saw it a little differently, that Austen was defending novels in the way we now defend chick lit etc. "'I am no novel reader -- I seldom look into novels -- It is really very well for a novel.' -- Such is the common cant. -- 'And what are you reading, Miss---?' 'Oh! it is only a novel!' replies the young lady; while she lays down her book affected indifference, or momentary shame.'" She describes novels as a guilty pleasure, the way Bridget Jones and/or bodice rippers are guilty pleasures today. I think it's really, really interesting because I consider Austen the grandmother of chick lit. After all, Bridget Jones was based on P&P and Bridget's the one who got the whole genre rolling.

As I have mentioned many times, I love the insights I get from the footnotes and endnotes on my B&N classics. Here's one I thought was so interesting I had to share (though some of you may have recognized this reference already): "...but again was Catherine disappointed in her hope of re-seeing her parnter. He was no where to be met with;". According to my endnote, this is a reference to A Sicilian Romance by Ann Radcliffe. My endnote says "Austen ironically juxtaposes scenes from romance with scenes in Catherine Morland's life to show how fiction warps her perception of reality."

Some passages I underlined:
No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be a heronie.

To look
almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain the first fifteen years of her life, than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive.

But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way.

...that her heart was affectionate; her disposition cheerful and open, without conceit or affectation of any kind—her manners just removed from the awkwardness and shyness of a girl; her person pleasing, and, when in good looks, pretty—and her mind about as ignorant and uninformed as the female mind at seventeen usually is.

"I wish you could dance, my dear—I wish you could get a partner." For some time her young friend felt obliged to her for these wishes; but they were repeated so often, and proved so totally ineffectual, that Catherine grew tired at last, and would thank her no more.
(The payoff is on the next page, when Mrs. Allen repeats herself three times. Good comedy always comes in threes.)

Catherine feared, as she listened to their discourse, that he indulged himself a little too much with the foibles of others.

"Thank you; for now we shall soon be acquainted, as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet, and nothing in the world advances intimacy so much."

Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.

This brief account of the family is intended to supersede the necessity of a long and minute detail from Mrs. Thorpe herself, of her past adventures and sufferings, which might otherwise be expected to occupy the three or four following chapters; in which the worthlessness of lords and attornies might be set forth, and conversations, which had passed twenty years before, be minutely repeated.

Mrs. Thorpe talked chiefly of her children, and Mrs. Allen of her gowns.
That reminded me of A Woman's Right To Shoes. hee.

message 39: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments I'm still reading this as well. It's a short book, but I seem to be taking my time with it for some reason.

I was really hoping Isabella wouldn't turn out to be a witch. I had such hopes for their friendship in the beginning.

message 40: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Two words:

Candace Bushnell

message 41: by Meghan (last edited Jan 18, 2008 09:08PM) (new)

Meghan Just a reminder, PBS is showing NA this Sunday on Masterpiece.

message 42: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Sarah -- I agree completely that she is defending novels both in this passage and in several others, including the wonderful passage where Mr. Tilney tells Catherine not to ask him what he has read because he will leave her in the dust. I merely think it is interesting that Austen is writing a satire, in part, of a gothic novel when she is also defending the novel. It is brilliant because it is almost as if she is saying. Yes, yes, the form can be this -- i.e., Udolpho == but it can also be this heightened, much more rich form like Northanger.

I generally do not read the introduction until I have finished the book, but skimmed the first paragraph of my introduction. It states, "Northanger Abbey is the ideal introduction to Jane Austen novels because in it we see the author defining the parameters of her craft." It then discusses the melding of satire and the novel, but I dare not read much more!

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Isn't it funny how authors who write introductions and forewards write spoilers that are best not read until one has finished the work they are meant to be introducing?

And there's no reason for me to read Udolpho now, because between Catherine and Isabella and the writer of my footnotes, all the plot has been given away. :)

message 44: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Sorry, I know we've gotten into this at length before, but I really, really, really don't think that Austen is chick-lit. To me it demeans her contribution to literature as well as to society in opening up men to the plight of women in her time. But I won't belabor that point further as it was well covered in another thread.

Heather, same here. Short book, but taking my time for some reason. Although, I think I'd like to finish before I watch the PBS version airing tomorrow night.

I'm with you also on wishing Isabella would have been a true friend. Being in a situation where I don't have any friends locally, I wanted a sincere friendship for her. But of course I saw it from the beginning, so at least I knew it was a loosing hope!

Okay, Sarah, you know how I hate all the intros and back stories - partly because I hate when they spoil everything for you and partly because I want to work to stand on its own. However, I will have to say that I like little notes that only enhance understanding the references, adding to the humor, like what you described previously.

I have to say, though, that part of the reason for my dislike of all the extemporaneous explanations is that so much of that stuff, I learned in my studies, is supposition and opinion and not always based in fact. Plus like a good work of art, I want to see it for itself. I don't mind, and sometimes even appreciate, learning some of that lateral information later, but it isn't necessary for me to appreciate the work.

Why am I being all scholarly in my writing? So how's it hanging, yo?

Oh! I think it would be fun and interesting to read Udolpho now!

message 45: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

SPOILER ALERT!

By the way did anyone else love how she got so excited with Tilney telling her that sort-of ghost story? It was so cute, I was grinning and even giggling a bit the whole way through that tale. It was even better that he thought her reaction in getting so involved was so funny that he couldn't stay composed to finish. I found that section simply delightful!

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate Ayers | 1 comments Don't forget to tune in to PBS tomorrow night (1/20) to watch the movie version of this classic!

message 47: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Boo! I still haven't watched Persuasion. But I'm looking forward to NA on PBS. I was thinking Udolpho might be fun to read, too.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary | 29 comments I'm excited to watch the movie version of NA, but I'm a little nervous, too, because the book left me with a giant crush on Henry and I'm afraid the movie will ruin it. I have the Barnes and Noble Classics edition, and there's a comment in it somewhere that says that Henry Tilney almost seemed to be written more as a match for Jane Austen than for Catherine. I think that's so true. She created her equal in terms of wit and smarts in his character. I'm not sure Catherine totally deserved him. (I have a feeling I might get in trouble for that comment...)

message 49: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I've not quite finished the book, Mary, but I'm kind of feeling that way already. She's a bit too naïve and sensational (as in young) for him as far as I can see. But then again, a lot of smart, good guys delight in that.

I'm most interested to see who they get to play Henry's dad. I hope it's someone really good as it's such an important roll! (By the way, I know I can look it up, but I don't want to! I want to experience it. Hee!)

message 50: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Great point about Henry & Jane, rather than Henry & Catherine.

« previous 1