2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Amy's Place

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments I've never done themed challenges beyond just reading a certain number of books, so I am testing this out. I will list a couple of challenges that sound interesting, but I haven't decided which ones to do yet.

message 2: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Sep 25, 2015 08:15AM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments Pop Sugar's 2015 Reading Challenge seems popular (http://www.popsugar.com/love/Reading-...)

☐500+ pages: The Penguin Book Of Irish Verse, TBR
☐Classic romance: Cyrano De Bergerac, TBR
✔Book that became a movie: The Knife Thrower and Other Stories ★★★★☆ (movie based on the story "Sisterhood of Night")
✔Published this year: Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again ★★★★☆
✔Number in the title: The Seventh Bride ★★★★☆
✔Author under 30: Rimbaud: Complete Works, Selected Letters ★★★☆☆
✔Nonhuman characters: Streets of Shadows★★★★☆
✔Funny book: Penguins with People Problems ★★★★☆
✔Female author: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing ★★★★★
✔Mystery/Thriller: Wylding Hall ★★★★☆
✔One word title: Alice ★★★★★
☐Book of short stories: Impossible Object, TBR
✔Set in a different country: Tainaron: Mail from Another City ★★★☆☆
✔Nonfiction: A Culture of High Performance: Achieving Higher Quality at a Lower Cost ★★★★☆
☐Popular author's first book: The Martian, TBR
✔Book from an author you love that you haven't read yet: A Red-Rose Chain, ★★★★★
✔Book a friend recommended: Rolling in the Deep ★★★★☆ (Thanks, Karen!)
✔Pulitzer Prize winner: The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History ★★★★★ (2015 nonfiction Pulitzer)
✔Based on a true story: Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography, ★★★☆☆
✔From the bottom of your TBR: The Turn of the Screw, ★★☆☆☆
☐Book Mom loves: The Hobbit, TBR
✔Book that scares you: Between the World and Me ★★★★★
✔More than 100 years old: The Castle of Otranto ★★☆☆☆
✔Book based entirely on its cover: Wild Children ★★★★★★
Supposed to read in school but didn't:
✔Memoir: Crazy Brave: A Memoir ★★★☆☆
✔Finish in a day: Captive Prince: Volume Two ★★★★☆
✔Antonyms in the title: Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things ★★★★★
✔Set somewhere you've always wanted to visit: Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2015: The Travel Skills Handbook ★★★☆☆
✔Published the year you were born: Doorways in the Sand ★★★★★★
✔Book with bad reviews: The Sea Came in at Midnight★★★★★★ (Don't they all have bad reviews? From somebody? Somewhere? Some of the reviews on this one are quite amazingly bad.)
Trilogy: (Too bad Kings Rising won't be out until 2016.)
✔Book from your childhood: Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, ★★★★★
✔Has a love triangle: The Land of Laughs ★★★★☆
☐Set in the future: ???
✔Set in high school: Lips Touch: Three Times ★★★★★ (First story, "Goblin Fruit," is set in high school.)
✔Color in the title: Blue Horses: Poems ★☆☆☆☆
✔Book that made you cry: A Monster Calls ★★★★★★ (I teared up, at least. Counts!)
✔Book with magic: The Last Wish ★★☆☆☆
✔Graphic novel: Personal Demons★★★★☆
✔By an author you've never read before: Captive Prince: Volume One★★★★☆
✔Book you own but have never read: HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects, ★★★★☆
✔Set in your hometown: River Notes: A Natural and Human History of the Colorado ★★☆☆☆
✔Originally written in a different language: Final Poems ★★★★★
☐Set during Christmas: Letters from Father Christmas, TBR
By an author with your same initials
☐Play: Lookingglass Alice, to be seen
✔Banned book: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories★★★★★
✔Based on or turned into a TV show: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition ★★★★☆ (TV miniseries "Alice")
✔Book you started but never finished: The Winter Long ★★★★☆

message 3: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Sep 21, 2015 07:35AM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments How convenient that some of the Book Riot challenge overlaps the Pop Sugar challenge:
http://bookriot.com/2014/12/15/book-r... (I also see this group is doing this as a yearly challenge this year.)

✔Author was under the age of 25 (when writing): Rimbaud: Complete Works, Selected Letters ★★★☆☆
✔Author was over the age of 65: Blue Horses: Poems, ★☆☆☆☆
✔Collection of short stories: The Knife Thrower and Other Stories ★★★★☆
✔Published by an indie press: Wild Children★★★★★★
✔By or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ: Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography, ★★★☆☆
✔By a person whose gender is different from your own: The Last Wish ★★☆☆☆
✔Takes place in Asia: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing ★★★★★ (or for fiction set in Asia, "Spicy Little Curses" in Lips Touch: Three Times, ★★★★★ rating for the whole book)
✔By an author from Africa: So Long a Letter ★★★★☆
✔By or about someone from an indigenous culture: Crazy Brave: A Memoir ★★★☆☆
✔Microhistory: River Notes: A Natural and Human History of the Colorado ★★☆☆☆
✔YA novel: A Monster Calls★★★★★★
✔Sci-fi novel: Doorways in the Sand ★★★★★★
✔Romance novel: Captive Prince: Volume Two ★★★★☆
✔A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade: The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History (2015 NF Pulitzer) ★★★★★
✔Retelling of a classic story (fairytale, Shakespearian play, classic novel, etc.): Alice★★★★★
Audiobook:
✔Collection of poetry: Haiku in English: The First Hundred Years ★★★★☆
✔Book that someone else has recommended to you: The Sea Came in at Midnight★★★★★★
✔Book that was originally published in another language: Final Poems ★★★★★
✔Graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind: Personal Demons ★★★★☆
✔Guilty pleasure: Captive Prince: Volume One ★★★★☆
✔Published before 1850: The Castle of Otranto ★★☆☆☆
✔Published this year: Rolling in the Deep ★★★★☆
✔Self-improvement book: Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again ★★★★☆

Finished 9/20/15

message 4: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Sep 14, 2015 12:39PM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments The yearly challenge for #READWOMEN sounds good, but I never know how many books to set for these things. So I'll just keep track of how many new-to-me female authors I read this year (each author can only be counted once):

1. T. Kingfisher, The Seventh Bride
2. C.S. Pacat, Captive Prince: Volume One and Captive Prince: Volume Two
3. Marie Kondo, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
4. Traci Mann, Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again (I like this one especially for the women writing challenge because it is a science book masquerading as a self help book.)
5. Nimue Brown, Personal Demons (graphic novel, illustrated by her husband, Tom Brown - beautiful teamwork)
6. Veronica Schanoes, Ballroom Blitz: A Tor.Com Original (Yay! Short stories definitely count for this one - I think they are actually harder to write than long fiction, myself.)
7. Mary Laura Philpott, Penguins with People Problems (picture book with her own great Random Penguin doodles and portrait perfect people issues)
8. Laini Taylor, Lips Touch: Three Times
9. Elizabeth Hand, Wylding Hall
10. Elizabeth Fama, Men Who Wish to Drown
11. Elizabeth Bear, This Chance Planet: A Tor.Com Original
12. Elizabeth Kolbert, The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History, 2015 nonfiction Pulitzer Prize winner
13. Tamara Vardomskaya, Acrobatic Duality: A Tor.Com Original
14. Nicola Griffith, Cold Wind
15. Lish McBride, Burnt Sugar
16. Lauren Groff, Ghosts and Empties
17. Vandana Singh, Ambiguity Machines: An Examination
18. Hannah Nordhaus, American Ghost: A Family's Haunted Past in the Desert Southwest
19. Kendare Blake, When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami
20. Mary Robinette Kowal, "ZERO G R&J" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects
21. Veronica Belmont, "CATASSASSINS!" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
22. Genevieve Valentine, "PRIMA NOCTA DETECTIVE AGENCY NEEDS YOU" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
23. Carmen Maria Machado, "HELP ME FOLLOW MY SISTER INTO THE LAND OF THE DEAD" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
24. Kat Howard, "LOCALLY GROWN, ORGANIC" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
25. Heather Lindsley, "LET'S KEEP BURT GRIMSBY'S HEAD FROZEN!" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
26. Mur Lafferty, "SAVE THE PHOTOPHOBIC HEMOGLOBIVORES WITH THE SANGUINE RESERVE!" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
27. Vylar Kaftan and Shannon Prickett, "UPDATES" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
28. Sylvia Spruck Wrigley, "YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
29. Brooke Bolander, "MECHANICAL ANIMALS" in HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!
30. A.C. Wise, "A Game of Cards" in Streets of Shadows
31. Lucy A. Snyder, ""Santa Muerte" (coauthor with Daniel R. Robichaud) in Streets of Shadows
32. Damien Angelica Walters, "Such Faces We Wear, Such Masks We Hide" in Streets of Shadows
33. Laurie Tom, "Unfilial Child" in Streets of Shadows
34. Nisi Shawl, "Street Worm" in Streets of Shadows
35. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, "Hand Fast" in Streets of Shadows
36. Christina Henry, Alice
37. Mary Oliver, Blue Horses: Poems
38. Kij Johnson, Ponies
39. Su-Yee Lin, Thirteen Steps in the Underworld
40. Alice Schertle, Little Blue Truck
41. Leena Krohn, Tainaron: Mail from Another City
42. Mariama Bâ, So Long a Letter
43. Joy Harjo, Crazy Brave: A Memoir

Honorable mention: Mira Grant, Rolling in the Deep (I've a bit of a
Seanan McGuire obsession, but I've never read anything under her pen name, because I don't do zombies. But hungry sea creatures? Sure. Why not?)

C.S. Pacat Marie Kondo Nimue Brown Veronica Schanoes Laini Taylor Elizabeth Hand Elizabeth Fama Elizabeth Bear Elizabeth Kolbert Martine Leavitt Nicola Griffith Lish McBride Lauren Groff Hannah Nordhaus Kendare Blake Mary Robinette Kowal Veronica Belmont Genevieve Valentine Carmen Maria Machado Mur Lafferty Vylar Kaftan Sylvia Spruck Wrigley A.C. Wise Lucy A. Snyder Damien Angelica Walters Laurie Tom Nisi Shawl Kristine Kathryn Rusch Christina Henry Mary Oliver Kij Johnson Alice Schertle Leena Krohn Mariama Bâ Joy Harjo Mira Grant

message 5: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Sep 25, 2015 08:23AM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments Here is another yearly challenge that looks interesting:
I SPY CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015

Read a book that contains a word in the title that fits each of the 25 categories below. If you're having trouble with a particular category, ask other members what they are reading for it. You may also use the name of the series for up to three categories.

Here are the 25 categories with examples. The examples are just to get you started - any word that fits the category is fair game.

✔1. Color A Red-Rose Chain ★★★★★
✔2. Number The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History ★★★★★
✔3. Things That Grow Wild Children ★★★★★★
✔4. Seasons The Winter Long ★★★★☆
✔5. First Name Alice ★★★★★
✔6. Places Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories ★★★★★
✔7. Body Part Lips Touch: Three Times ★★★★★
✔8. Weapon The Knife Thrower and Other Stories ★★★★☆
✔9. Body of Water River Notes: A Natural and Human History of the Colorado ★★☆☆☆
✔10. Form of Water Rolling in the Deep ★★★★☆

☐11. Product of Fire Voice of Our Shadow, TBR (on Kindle) or The Flame Alphabet, TBR (at my library)
☐12. Celestial Body Bones of the Moon, TBR (on Kindle)

✔13. Architecture Wylding Hall ★★★★☆
✔14. Senses: sight Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, ★★★★★
✔15. Royal Title Captive Prince: Volume One ★★★★☆

☐16. Family Member Letters from Father Christmas, TBR (on request for interlibrary loan)

✔17. Elements Doorways in the Sand, ★★★★★★
✔18. Time of Day The Sea Came in at Midnight ★★★★★

✔19. Metal The Hunting of the Snark: An Agony in Eight Fits ★★★☆☆ (looking for a better fit)

✔20. Emotion/Feeling Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things ★★★★★
✔21. Animal/Insect Penguins with People Problems ★★★★☆
✔22. Something to Read So Long a Letter ★★★★☆
✔23. Gender Identifier The Seventh Bride ★★★★☆
✔24. Paranormal Being Personal Demons ★★★★☆
✔25. Occupation Pavement Chalk Artist: The Three-Dimensional Drawings of Julian Beever ★★★☆☆

(Hmmm. This one is actually very hard.)

message 6: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Sep 14, 2015 01:32PM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments I have just had a stroke of, well, if not genius, at least insane self destructiveness. I am loving the I Spy challenge for books, but I am really reading a lot of short stories this year, lots of which have really awesome titles. Ta-da!
I SPY CHALLENGE: SHORT STORY VERSION
Duration: January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015

Read a book short work that contains a word in the title that fits each of the 25 categories below. You may also use the name of the series anthology for up to three categories.

✔1. Color: "Pink Pills" from Punktown ★★★☆☆
✔2. Number: Thirteen Steps in the Underworld ★★★★★
✔3. Things That Grow: "Goblin Fruit" from Lips Touch: Three Times ★★★★★
✔4. Seasons: "The Flaying Season" from Punktown ★★★★☆
✔5. First Name: "Driving Jenny Home" from Out of Tune, ★★★★★
✔6. Places: The Museum and the Music Box ★★★★★
✔7. Body Part: The Horrid Glory of Its Wings ★★★★☆
✔8. Weapon: The Language of Knives★★★★☆
✔9. Body of Water: Forbid the Sea ★★★★★
✔10. Form of Water: "The Myth of Rain" from Lightspeed Magazine, May 2015 ★☆☆☆☆
✔11. Product of Fire: Burnt Sugar ★★★★☆
✔12. Celestial Body: "The Fixed Stars" from Shattered Shields ★★★☆☆
✔13. Architecture: Ballroom Blitz: A Tor.Com Original ★★★☆☆
✔14. Senses: "Spicy Little Curses" from Lips Touch: Three Times (taste) ★★★★★
✔15. Royal Title: Brother. Prince. Snake. ★★☆☆☆
✔16. Family Member: HELP ME FOLLOW MY SISTER INTO THE LAND OF THE DEAD from HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects ★★★★★
✔17. Elements: Cold Wind ★★★☆☆
✔18. Time of Day: "Sisterhood of Night" from The Knife Thrower and Other Stories ★★★★★
✔19. Metal: Silver Linings ★★★☆☆
✔20. Emotion/Feeling: "There is No Room For Sorrow in the Kingdom of the Cold" from The Doll Collection: Seventeen Brand-New Tales of Dolls ★★★★☆
✔21. Animal/Insect: I WANT TO BE A LIONESS from HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects ★★★★☆
✔22. Something to Read: Ambiguity Machines: An Examination ★★★★★
✔23. Gender Identifier: Men Who Wish to Drown ★★★★☆
✔24. Paranormal Being: "The Reflections of Ghosts" from Punktown ★★★★☆
✔25. Occupation: FINDER OF LOST THINGS from HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects ★★★★★

★Ratings are for the short story itself

Complete!

message 7: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Sep 14, 2015 01:33PM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments Just found another one:
2015 Banned book challenge from Buckling Bookshelves blog:

LEVELS: Below are the levels you can choose from. Changing your mind is OK -- you can go up or down in level at any time. I said low-pressure, remember? I'm not the book police, I promise.

Making Waves: 1-2 Challenged Books
Trouble-Maker: 3-5 Challenged Books
Rabble-Rouser: 6-9 Challenged Books
Rebel: 10-14 Challenged Books
Leader of a Revolution: 15+ Challenged Books

Resources:
http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlyc...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/ba...
https://www.facebook.com/bannedbooksweek
http://bucklingbookshelves.blogspot.c...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

Can officially sign up for the challenge at: http://bucklingbookshelves.blogspot.c...

So far I am only in for Making Waves. Read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories.

Amy (Other Amy) | 504 comments Travel challenge, fantasy lover style. So the Around the World challenge is awesome (map your reading destinations on Google Maps), but discriminates against fantasy locales. So I'd like to just plot my places out in list form to include them. Will put this on my to do list for next year.