Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Ben's Books for 2009

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (last edited Mar 31, 2009 09:47PM) (new)

Ben Loory hi everybody! i'm new here, i just followed brian over. as for my goal, i guess i kinda aim for 100. it's not really strict; i don't usually even think about it until i get to 80; then this obsessive-compulsive thing kicks in and i have to get to 100, no matter what the cost.

here's the list up to now:

1. Story of the Eye - georges bataille
2. an occasional dream - mike lester
3. independent people - haldor laxness
4. rogue male - gregory household
5. Humpty Dumpty in Oakland - philip k. dick
6. within the context of no context - george w.s. trow
7. Rock Crystal - adalbert stifter
8. the bus driver who wanted to be god - etgar keret
9. The Nature of Things - francis ponge
10.the woman in white - wilkie collins

11. jorge luis borges - jason wilson
12. the goalie's anxiety at the penalty kick - peter handke
13. girls on the run: a poem - john ashbery
14. selected short stories from contemporary china
15. epitaph of a small winner - machado de assis
16. MAD about the movies: special warner bros edition - the usual gang of idiots
17. an anthology of 20th century brazilian poetry - bishop, ed.
18. the mystery of edwin drood - charles dickens
19. ubik - philip k. dick
20. a prescription for love - leeanne marie stephenson

21. the passion according to g.h. - clarice lispector
22. poems of the late t'ang - a.c. graham
23. the jaguar and other stories - joao guimaraes rosa
24. the turn of the screw - henry james

25. the age of suspicion: essays on the novel - nathalie sarraute

(the ones in bold are the ones i decided to keep on my shelf forever.)

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian (banoo) i thought i was being followed. was that you i saw standing next to the camel?

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory next to? i was the camel!

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (banoo) i rode a camel last night and it made gurgling noises. camels are full of fluids, it seems.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory who'da thunk it?

message 6: by Ben (new)

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (banoo) no. 20... sorry to see it's not in bold.

no. 5... i went and bought another non-sci-fi because he's such a damn fine writer of anything.

no. 24... i've got two copies on my shelf and i didn't even bold it.

message 8: by Ben (last edited Mar 23, 2009 03:39AM) (new)

Ben Loory Brian wrote: "no. 24... i've got two copies on my shelf and i didn't even bold it. "

i bought another copy the other day, after i read it for free on the internet. then i realized that i already had it at home in a henry james short story collection. then i realized i also had it in two (possibly more?) different story anthologies, and ALSO in a collection of ghost stories. and then on top of all that, i found a paperback copy of it in the garage. this screw has like 10 turns.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 28. Sagarana by João Guimarães Rosa
as i wade a little further into the world of brazilian lit...

29. The Ethical Assassin A Novel by David Liss
i don't read much contemporary stuff, but this was pretty fun.

message 10: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 30. The Diary of a Nobody by George & Weedon Grossmith
wish my name was Weedon...

message 11: by Ben (last edited Apr 03, 2009 01:40PM) (new)

Ben Loory 31. The Bridegroom Was a Dog by Yoko Tawada
i already know what it's like not to make sense.

32. The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
good one. a keeper!

message 12: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Wow! You are doing great!!

message 13: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory Aprile wrote: "Wow! You are doing great!!"

yeah, i've been avoiding some stuff i have to do... :D

message 14: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Ben wrote: "Aprile wrote: "Wow! You are doing great!!"

yeah, i've been avoiding some stuff i have to do... :D"

Hahaha, I've done that on a few occassions!

message 15: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 33. Bad Boy by Jim Thompson.
first half of the autobiography of the greatest crime writer ever. (Roughneck being the second.)
Bad Boy by Jim Thompson

message 16: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 34. Iracema by José de Alencar

this book was written in 1875 and translated into english in 1886 AND IT NEEDS A NEW TRANSLATION BECAUSE THIS ONE SUCKS. unless maybe it's not the translation; maybe it's the original that's really stilted and awkward. but machado de assis seems to have thought very highly of it (along with everyone else in brazil, it seems), so i'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

basically this is the john smith & pocahontas story, but in brazil. the beautiful indian maiden is named iracema, which is, cleverly enough, an anagram for AMERICA. clever! then she dies, which represents the coming of the george bushes.

one thought kept occurring to me throughout the book, and that was how similar this book is to a book like, say, John Carter of Mars. you could repackage this with a Frazetta cover and sell it as space opera and critics the world over would hail it as a piece of shit.

but whatever. setting aside the abysmal translation, and the fact that you have to stop every seven seconds to check the footnotes to figure out what Intanha or Atyati or Tumanduá or whatthehellever means, the book does have a definite hallucinatory power. much like The Last of the Mohicans or The Song Of Hiawatha. something about those crazy otherworldly environments and guys runnin' around with tomahawks yellin' about the Soul of the Wind and whatnot, i guess.

one last thing: i haven't seen haphazard punc.tuation and weird pa
ragr
aph breaks like this since i read a little book called A Prescription for Love. i don't think this book has been proofread since 1886.

anyway. there it is. iracema.

a much better book:
The Fantastic Art Of Frank Frazetta Book One by Frank Frazetta

message 17: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Whoohoo...MORE than 1/2 way! Sorry I missed your 10 and 25...I'll be more diligent.

message 18: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory no worries, ms. lincoln... and thanks.

35. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

it's been eight or nine years since i last read this, and it almost, but doesn't quite, hold up. it's still probably the best book i've ever read about what fighting in vietnam-- and coming home-- was really like. even though it takes place in space in the year 3000 or whatever. the writing is uniformly excellent, and thankfully free of that hemingwayian/mailerian macho bullshit. this is just a book about a guy trying to live through madness. it's also very funny, being essentially a satire. not a catch-22 type satire, more like a beckettian satire. my one problem with it this time around is that there really isn't much conflict. i mean, yes, it's a war, and they're trying to survive, and when they come home there's the conflict of trying to fit in in a different world, and there's the conflict inside the army, trying to stay with the people they know and love, but there's never any internal conflict, and the external conflict is always just a matter of plugging away, chugging on through, hoping for the best, because that's all you really can do once you get drafted... the point is, the only way through hell is to go mad and pray... which makes sense, but doesn't exactly make for compelling drama.

that being said, it's still up there with my other all-time non-pkd sci-fi favorites: The Genocides, Rogue Moon, The Walking Shadow, Paradox Men, Nova, Time Is the Simplest Thing... maybe i shouldn't have reread it, i don't know... so much of it is the power of the ideas and the crazy A Handful of Dust-type narrative turns it takes...

message 19: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Ben wrote: "no worries, ms. lincoln... and thanks.

35. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman by Philip Roth? I had issues with him overall, but the portions of the book told from the mind of the Vietnam Vet were incredible. If he had written like that for the entire book and got out of his own way I would have loved it completely.

message 20: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory nope, haven't read that. my philip roth days are behind me (thanks to Everyman, possible worst book of all time). but i can certainly see how he'd do a good job of getting into the mind of a really fucked up guy...

message 21: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 36. The New Life by Orhan Pamuk

i don't really know what to say about this one. i think i will be thinking about it for a while. i will say this: i found it both compulsively readable and boring as hell, both at the same time, all the time, beginning to end. despite all the great writers pamuk is compared to on the cover blurbs and inside (kafka, marquez, borges, proust, etc.), the writer he most reminds me of here is thomas pynchon. both come off as almost retardedly intelligent & way too clever, both are more interested in playing games and laying out a view of the world as a paranoid (in pamuk's case metaphysical) delusion/illusion than they are in writing about actual human beings and the things that happen to them, the things they feel and desire. they are also both very good writers of sentences. the thing is, i just keep thinking, what if i just ripped this page out? what if i just read every other sentence? what if this chapter was written in invisible ink? what if the book ended here? what if it never began? i think in general i found the book useless. i just didn't know what to make of it. emotionally. i can understand how some can get caught up in the voice, the style. it's just the feeling i don't care for, or the lack of it. it's just one note all the way through. people live, love, fight, learn, run, hide, die, laugh... all in the exact same register... all without MY feelings changing one bit. like watching a film in fast motion... only it takes a really long time... that being said, i know a guy in a foreign country who seems to have been absolutely overwhelmed by its power, so who knows... maybe the angel only comes to those who aren't expecting it...

message 22: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Wow 36! Good job!

message 23: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 37. Wheat That Springeth Green by J.F. Powers

i don't really know how to describe what's so great about this book. so i won't. i give it four stars because it's "only" a perfect novel; powers is a beautiful writer but not a visionary and not interested in form. it'll probably go up to five stars in a few weeks when i forgive him that. in the meantime, this is a quiet, understated book which is very funny but never wacky or satirical (except in an all-embracing and -forgiving way), and it never takes on the big questions you might expect from a catholic writer, taking them instead as already solved. none of that graham greeny runnin' around freakin' out about the universe and the state of your soul business; father joe is just a man trying to do his job on a planet gone tasteless and mad...

message 24: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 38. Tales from Ovid by Ted Hughes

nothing against ted hughes, or ovid, but i just get bored after a while. partly because of all the long crazy greek names and the fact that i'm supposed to know who these people and places are, which i don't (and don't care to) and partly just because after the first couple it's really easy to see where things are going (or at least how things are going to get there). some of the stories work better than others... callisto and arcas is pretty devastating, and tereus is amazing, and there are lots of great other moments and the guy has ideas like nobody's business, but in general it just sort of feels like everything turns into everything else and so on and so on and so on, without beginning or end or rhyme or reason... which i suppose is sort of the point, philosophically / theologically / storytellalogically / whateverally... sort of unsatisfying to me, though, after a while, and actually made me a bit queasy. it also sorta made me want to read auerbach's Mimesis The Representation of Reality in Western Literature again.

i've read other translations of ovid, meanwhile, and i have to say this one certainly is... muscular. it reads more like the iliad than i would expect. but whatever, i'm no classicist.

message 25: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 39. Dora Doralina by Rachel De Queiroz

i have read worse books in my life-- many, MANY worse books (A Prescription for Love, for one)... i have read stupider books, like stephen king's The Dark Half... i have read more irritating books, books that made me want to MURDER the author (miranda july's No One Belongs Here More Than You Stories)... and of course just plain silly, pointless, ineffectual commercial bullshit (ken follett's Code to Zero, for one unremarkable example)... but never before in my entire life have i read a book this BORING. this DULL, UNIMAGINATIVE, and POINTLESS. fine, you want to write a realistic novel... something could still happen in it... and if you didn't want anything to actually happen, you could maybe have a character who was interesting?? or perhaps a narrator with some thoughts??? or a discernible prose style??? a sense of beauty???? a sense of ugliness???? ...right???? there's just nothing.... no drama... no humor... no pathos... no interesting scenes.... no suspense...... no satire....... NOTHING. it's just a 300 page list of events..... very few of which seem to even be causally connected.... not to make it sound like this is some kind of experimental novel, because it isn't-- far from it, this is probably the most pedestrian book i've ever read.... it doesn't go anywhere.... it never threatens to go anywhere.... GOD DAMN THIS BOOK SUCKS.

so... lesson learned: all brazilian authors are not machado de assis, clarice lispector, or joao guimaraes rosa. some of them are... i don't even know who to compare this to... it's like a really bad female hemingway with no sense of story.

traumatic. don't read this. it will make you unhappy.

message 26: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 40. Jeff Beck - Crazy Fingers - annette carson

dry but informative account of the career (not life) of the guy who may be the best. as opposed to Hammer of the Gods (about jimmy page and led zeppelin), which i read a few weeks ago, which was 95% sex and drugs, this book is about 98% rock n roll... where he played, what he played, who he played with, what they played on, who produced, what effect their production had, which guitars came from where and who wound the pickups, what the temperature was like in the recording booth... stuff like that... you get a glimpse into beck but not a whole lot more than a glimpse... this is still an unauthorized biography... anyway... genius loner madman full of self-doubt, wants to be on his own but needs other great musicians to spur him on, doesn't want to be contained or sold or told what to do, doesn't want to have to wear funny clothes (so wears his own funny clothes)... whatever, he seems like a nice guy. the best part was finding out all the weird songs by other artists that he appeared on, like donovan's barabajal, or tina turner's private dancer (beck loves tina turner)... or an entire roger waters album called god hates us all... no wait, that's a slayer album... amused to death! that's it.

nothing to set yourself on fire with, but i learned a lot

message 27: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 41. Echo Park by Michael Connelly

this book is called echo park and i live in echo park so i read it. it wasn't bad, but it didn't have much to do with echo park. it was a quick read and fun and i like the detective guy, but basically it was one long law and order episode. i like my detective fiction brimming with surreally witty banter and labyrinthine plot twists... or told from the point of view of unraveling psychopaths. this was a little too straightforward and sensical for me. still, though, totally painless.

message 28: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 42. Pictures from an Institution by Randall Jarrell

halfway through, this book abandons itself and spends the rest of its pages just sort of dancing around. the story that was being set up (that of the satirical novelist come to the campus to write a book about it) goes off over the hills and leaves us with 150 more pages of delightful characters and witticisms... it was kind of a disappointment... when i started this book it was one of those HOLY SHIT! moments where you think you are finally finding A Perfect Book... this is oscar wilde / dorothy parker quality wit here, for real, only somehow done with the gentle fluffy funnylovingkindness of p.g. wodehouse... there is another review here on goodreads that says that jarrell treats all of humanity as if they were retarded children... he forgives them everything they do because they don't know what they're doing... and then on top of it there are these crazy metaphors all over the place...

(Gertude the novelist has come to Benton college to write a book about it, and has been asking a lot of questions of the narrator, a professor there.)

I always answered her questions. If I hadn't, someone else would have-- and it was appropriate that she and Benton should meet and, each in its own way, preserve the memory of each other. But sometimes I felt sheepish-- felt like a flock of sheep, that is-- as Gertrude sheared from me (with barber's clippers that pulled a little) my poor coat of facts, worked over it with knitted brows, and then, smiling like Morgan le Fay, cast over my bare limbs her big blanket conclusions."

that's not even really a stand-out section... it's all like that...

message 29: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 43. Bring on the Empty Horses by david niven

personal memoir of hollywood in the 30s and 40s, including intimate portraits of all the greats: gable, bogart, astaire, garbo, cecil b. demille, john huston, etc, etc...

if the entire book was as good as the chapter on clark gable (who i never really cared for before), this would be one of my favorite books ever. as it, it's just one of my favorite books on hollywood. but still, good stuff.

made me like david niven. always found him annoying before.

message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 44. Dom Casmurro by Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis

the guy's such a smooth and smart and fun and amazingly modern writer for a 19th century guy, i feel bad about giving this book 2 stars after loving Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas so much, but really... i just didn't care. the metaphysical comedy of epitaph of a small winner was gone, along with the postmodernist approach, and all that was left was a story about a kid who loves a girl but is destined by his mom to be a priest. i mean, really... who gives a shit? again, not to say it was bad... it was well-written and fun and full of wit... but it was just your basic realistic novel... by anyone else, it would be pretty good... by the guy who wrote epitaph for a small winner... kind of a disappointment.

still, though, i love this paragraph:

LXXXII
The Sofa

Of the furniture in the room, only the sofa seemed to have understood our moral situation, for it offered the services of its wickerwork so insistently that we accepted and sat down. The particular opinion I have of sofas dates from that moment. They unite intimacy and decorum, and reveal the whole house without one having to leave the living room. Two men sitting on a sofa can debate the destiny of an empire, and two women the charm of a dress, but only by some aberration of the laws of nature will a man and a woman talk of anything other than themselves.

message 31: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 45. The Ring by danielle steel

neither as terrible as i'd expected nor as wonderfully surreal as i'd hoped... mostly this book was just pedestrian. there's not an ounce of poetry in its 500 pages, but neither are there any grammatical mistakes or laughably overblown metaphors or heaving bosoms. it's just a story about a german woman (2 of them, actually, mother and daughter) trying to get through life under the nazis and then in america. there's not much to say, really... i don't know why steel is so big, but i can't say it makes me wonder for the sanity of our country or anything... its only mistake is in being really boring...

it's a helluva lot better than that first page of the da vinci code.

message 32: by Brian (new)

Brian (banoo) Holy crap Benman!! You did it. I'm sitting in a Moscow coffee shop playing with my new iPhone. Now please read a Jackie Collins and report back.

Ps: I saw not one goose :)

message 33: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory the geese are out there!

46. Miles by Miles Davis

i won't say this is the absolute best book i've ever read, but it sure is a motherfucker, as miles would probably say if he were here. though actually he'd probably just punch me in the face for saying that and tell me to come up with my own shit to say, instead of copying him and trying to look hip when i'm not. and he'd be right about that as he is about pretty much everything else, except maybe on the question of whether or not one should beat women, but hey, everybody's got their blind side...

i don't even know where to start talking about how awesome this book is. maybe it helps to be into jazz, because there's a certain amount of joy that comes with going through 40 years of jazz history and meeting all the greats as you go, and playing with them (or feeling like you're playing with them, anyway, cuz he is)... so many great portraits of so many amazing talents... bird, diz, monk, trane, coleman hawkins, dexter gordon, max roach, philly joe jones, tony williams, jackie maclean, bud powell, gil evans (gil evans! i love gil evans now!), mingus, wayne shorter... even the (very few) people you can tell miles didn't like (even though he acts like he was cool with them), like ornette coleman, you still get a real sense of who they were, or at least who they were to miles davis, which certainly counts for something... or should...

so that's all great.

but really the book is just about getting inside the head of a true artistic genius, looking at himself, revealing himself to himself, out loud. and miles isn't a literary artist, so there's nothing stylistic or formal or precious about it. he's not worried about the words. everyone and everything is a motherfucker, and motherfucker means something different every time he says it. it's sloppy and self-contradictory and i'm sure self-serving at times-- though honestly i can't tell how he could paint himself in a worse light than he does most of the time, and 99% of the time he's putting all the honors on his friends and other musicians and styling himself as just the guy who got them in the room-- but as a whole the book just gives you this intense mad rush of life, what it's like! what it's like! what it's like to play MUSIC! there's so much hunger and sorrow and anger and love and hate on every page, and it's all just inseparably balled up in this guy's head and heart and music, and he can't say or do a thing without expressing it all... either he's playing as hard as he can or he's fighting with someone or falling madly in love (again!) or doing every drug on the planet and driving 180 miles an hour in his lamborghini... OR HE'S DOING IT ALL AT ONCE... it's sad and scary and hopeless and wonderful and makes you want to kill yourself and live and go dancing... miles davis didn't dance, by the way... never danced... didn't talk much about the whys and wherefores of that... but he didn't... very strange... he was very hung up on being cool, though... which i can understand... me and miles davis, we're pretty similar in some respects... :D

but anyway... this book was just on fire and i loved every minute of it. you should read it. unless you don't like the word "motherfucker," or reading about some bitches gettin' themselves slapped sometimes when they get all up in a man's face while he's trying to do his business...

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky | 36 comments Ben wrote: "33. Bad Boy by Jim Thompson.
first half of the autobiography of the greatest crime writer ever. (Roughneck being the second.)
Bad Boy by Jim Thompson"

I've never heard of this guy before. But if he's the greatest ever, I'm gonna check him out. :) Thanks!

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky | 36 comments Ben wrote: "43. Bring on the Empty Horses by david niven

personal memoir of hollywood in the 30s and 40s, including intimate portraits of all the greats: gable, bogart, astaire, garbo, cecil b. ..."

Have you ever read "Hollywood Babylon" by Kenneth Anger?

message 36: by Ben (last edited Jun 19, 2009 02:24AM) (new)

Ben Loory no becky, i haven't. but i've heard of it. is it really good?

47. Little Pictures Fiction for a New Age by Andrew Ramer

this was a reread. i love this book. little semi-mythological tales. funny and sad and wonderful and true. out of print and pretty much unheard of. but just really, really, really great stuff.

message 37: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 48. The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster by Richard Brautigan

i like brautigan better when his poetry embroiders a narrative. without the narrative i get kinda bored.

but still...

The Sidney Greenstreet Blues

I think something beautiful
and amusing is gained
by remembering Sidney Greenstreet,
but it is a fragile thing.

The hand picks up a glass.
The eye looks at the glass
and then hand, glass and eye
fall away.

message 38: by Becky (last edited Jun 19, 2009 08:20AM) (new)

Becky | 36 comments no becky, i haven't. but i've heard of it. is it really good? I thought so. Great, gossipy stories that are too old for most people to know, told like he's sitting next to you on a couch with a martini in his hand. :)Filled with glorious black and white pictures. It's how I found out that Charlie Chaplin apparently had a large you-know-what. Lol.
Also, this:
it's a helluva lot better than that first page of the da vinci code.
made me laugh out loud. Is that all of the DaVinci code that you've read? Cause I wouldn't even read that much. ;) It's on my (short) list of books I would NEVER read, along with 'The Notebook' by Nicholas Sparks. Actually, anything by Nicholas Sparks.
AND, since I enjoy poetry, and never have anyone to share it with, and you shared that very nice one, here is a poem that I found today:
THE CAPECOD BLUES by Hayden Carruth

Well, the wind from the ocean's a dark, dark wind
and the ocean is dark as well
and the shrieks of the sea birds flying
sound like the damned in hell
the houses are dark, the people dark
the mussel dark in his shell
the water that crawls on the strand is sighing
a legend of torment to tell
and broken down in the little town
a tower with a broken bell
is clanking a dire death-knell
Give me my upland forest
with its ferny glen, its glade
of the hazelbloom in a dappled shade,
where I and the earth-girl dwell.

message 39: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory becky, i stuck hollywood babylon in my amazon cart. :) and yes, that's all of the da vinci code i've read. someone posted it in a group. i was amazed. i've been meaning to go read the rest of it but for some reason i never get around to it. :D

the houses are dark, the people dark
the mussel dark in his shell

i like that part a lot.

49. The Girl on the Fridge Stories by Etgar Keret

i'm not sure why i loved The Nimrod Flipout Stories so much but don't seem to like any of keret's other books. maybe i just already got the joke or something. the stories are all very clever and sharply written, but i can never really get into them. i never really give a shit. they end and i'm like, well, that one's over. plus a lot of these were just gross. people peeing a lot, i noticed. not that i give a shit if people pee in your book, but when the biggest reaction i have while reading is "ew, people peeing again," i think there's a problem.

message 40: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory 50. The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector

lispector is a truly one of a kind writer and this book deserves more than 2 stars on any rational scale, but after The Passion According to G.H. i can't imagine why anyone would bother with this. this is intrusive third person telling a slim realistic tale about a boring nobody girl and a couple other boring nobody characters over a long course of time; The Passion According to G.H. is a claustrophobic first-person account of a single person's sudden religious experience in an abandoned room in their apartment one day. why would anyone ever read this one?

message 41: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50 Books!

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky | 36 comments You did it!

message 43: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Mrs. Lincoln says good job!

message 44: by Ben (new)

Ben Loory thanks!

51. Drood A Novel by Dan Simmons

i am a big dan simmons fan, but this was just not very good. bloated and pointless, featuring unconvincing portraits of both dickens and wilkie collins, marked by an extremely irritating habit of cutting away from the scenes just at the moment when they threaten to become interesting. somehow it is still fun to read, but not for 770 pages. sheds no light on dickens's unfinished mystery of edwin drood, or, at best, very little. i'm not pissed off that i read it, but i certainly could have used the time better.

message 45: by A Missing Book (new)

A Missing Book (amissingbook) AMISSINGBOOK.COM for João Guimarães Rosa