Movies We've Just Watched discussion

There Will Be Blood

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Missy (new)

Missy I saw this over the weekend without knowing much about it (the length for instance...almost 3 hours though it did not feel like it).

It is loosely based on the Upton Sinclair book "Oil", which I had not heard of or read until I saw it in the theater lobby for sale.

Seems like I don't get out much...

Anyway, Daniel Day Lewis was captivating and disturbing. I thought the film really captured the growth of pure greed and power craving in a shaking way.

Unfortunately, it highlights the violence and power surrounding oil which is still a huge part of our world today. At the end of the film I wanted to walk home and tune up my bike.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments I enjoyed the film too and thought it was a definite reflection of greed, alcohol abuse and power tripping. Daniel Day Lewis plays a homicidal power tripper like no other.

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I enjoyed this film, but must say that I felt that he younger actor who played Eli was weak - this was especially apparent when he was in scenes with Daniel Day Lewis. It also seemed a shame to me that they would cast an actor as fine as Ciaran Hinds and give him almost NOTHING to do or say. The movie succeeds on the power of DDL's performance, but has its weak spots. Still, I would recommend it.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth I agree with you on that. Ciaran Hinds is awesome, but he barely got to say anything in this movie. That was probably one of the things that bothered me most about the movie. But I did like it. Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.