The Office breakroom discussion

Happy New Year!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Wilson | 5 comments Hey friends of the Office Breakroom! I'm Stephanie. I recently joined goodreads.com and was so excited to find a group dedicated to "The Office!" I am absolutely in love with the show, so props for starting such a rad group!

I don't have any fun and exciting things to post at the moment (except...did you know that Rashida Jones, who plays Karen, is Quincy Jones' daughter?)...so, in the meantime, I will leave y'all with a quote from the Office (courtesy of the desk calendar I got for Xmas):

FROM JANUARY 10th ~
Michael Scott: "If corporate wants to come in here and interfere, then they're gonna have to go through me...and I'm the head of this family. And, um you ain't gonna be messin' with my chillun."

Let's talk soon!

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Jan 11, 2008 06:49AM) (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
I'm hoping that this break from The Office, however unsettling and infuriating (at the unfair treatment of writers), will give some of the series regulars time to focus on outside projects (or is that illegal--I'm so confused). I'm waiting for John Krasinski's indie movie to come out . . . but will enjoy catching "Leatherheads" in the mean time.

I love Rashida Jones and definitely miss her on the show. I'm hoping she will come back . . . as well as Roy!! I miss him as well!! My goodness--what was this actor's name? I forgot, sorry Roy!!

What Office actor / writer projects would you like to see flourish during this off-time? (If it's not against the union contract, naturally).

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Wilson | 5 comments Bringing Roy back into the mix would be some drama! I wonder what plans the writers have for him. Well, I am sure the writers have no plans right now, considering the strike. Nonetheless, Jackie, I agree with you that Roy should make a come back!

In response to your question though, I am really looking forward to watching Steve Correll in more dramatic roles. I still have not seen Dan in Real Life, which I need to. I am also a huge fan of John Krasinski, and I cannot wait for "Leatherheads" to come out.

Can y'all narrow your favorite Office episode down to one? Or, what are your top three faves?

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
My favorite episodes are:

*Diversity Day (Season 1)
My favorite part of this is in the deleted scenes when Jim comments, "Why did she hit Martin Luther King? She's not even wearing a tag!" or something along those lines after Kelly hits Michael for his over-the-top Abu impression.

*Jim's barbecue (Season 2): I forgot the real name--possibly Email Surveillance.
Who can resist Jim and Michael on the karaoke? I think they're singing a BeeGees cover. So sweet!!

*Traveling Salesman (Season 3)
I just love how the pairs interact!! Oh my goodness!! My favorite, of course, is Jim and Dwight and the whole "attack from the rear" interchange. Hilarious!!

How about you?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Wilson | 5 comments I am definitely missing out on the deleted scenes, since I don't own any of the seasons. :( I actually just got into The Office this summer (on re-runs and iTunes), and now I TIVO all of the re-runs on TBS.

I love "Performance Review", when all of Jim's tricks on Dwight are revealed (i.e. when Jim replaced all of Dwight's pens and pencils with crayons; when Jim put a bloody glove in Dwight's desk drawer and tried to convince Dwight he committed murder, etc.)...so hilarious!

"Phyllis' Wedding" is great too, and an oldie, but goodie is "Basketball".

This show seriously needs to be back on the air!!!

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
Are those tricks revealed in "Performance Review" or "Conflict Resolution"? It really doesn't matter, but just wondered in case you're searching for that gem of a scene sometime.

I also LOVE the episode of "Drug Testing"--I forgot about this one. List of reasons:
*Jim's impressions of people in the office. Stanley, in particular. "Why do you keep CCing me . . . " (I'm giggling even now!!)
*The Jinx Jeopardy
*Jim's self-revealing question at the end that was intended to be about Dwight's relationship with Michael, but could ultimately be applied to Jim (at that point in his "relationship with Pam")
"What is he getting out of that relationship?"

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Batkie Hey guys, don't mean to break into a two-way convo, but I just joined the group today and wanted to say hi! Always good to find fellow Office and literature fans.
I must second "Drug Testing" as one of my favorites. Jim's inability to speak revealed the true power of Johnny K's facial expressions. "Take Your Daughter to Work Day" was also another of my season 2 faves. A great one from season 3 was "The Convict", written by Ricky Gervais and Stephan Merchant who were the originators of "The Office" in the UK. That's the one where Jim convinces Andy to hit on Pam by playing her "Rainbow Connection" on his banjo and singing in pig latin. Good stuff.
Also, two pieces of news worth sharing:
- Both People and Perez Hilton (not the most trustworhty sorces, but what can you do) have reported sightings of John Krasinski and Rashida Jones in St. Barts, rekindling their romance. Sigh! I suspect they've been dating quite awhile but were told to market themselves as single.
- The DGA made a tentative deal and the AMPTP have invited the WGA back to the negotiation table to discuss a possible deal. Hopefully it'll work this time! The bad news of course is that even if they come to an agreement now, we likely won't get new episodes again until the fall. But the sooner the better, right?

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
Sara, Welcome!! Thanks for the update on the WGA. It's amazing to me how many devoted "The Office" fans are so thoughtful. Always great to "meet" another one. I LOVE the way Jim set up Andy in "The Convict." Hilarious!! Do you miss Karen on the current season? I'd love to hear your thoughts on her character. I have some strong feelings about that.

I'm so happy to hear about Rashida Jones and John Krasinski possibly being back together. It's sad to think that a celebrity's personal life is any of my concern--however, they seem like two witty, socially aware people. I cheer for people like that. Is that so wrong?

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara Batkie As far as Karen goes, I never had a problem with her character. I thought going into the third season she was a breath of fresh air, actually. Don't get me wrong, I am a Jam fan, but I think it shows the great talent of the writers to bring in another love interest that is dynamic and adds to the show. I thought she was funny and I liked that she was a bit abrasive, at least in comparison to Pam. Towards the end, she did devolve a little into being too territorial and needy, but overall I liked her trajectory. One of my favorite moments of the aborted season four was when Jim and Karen had their moment at her branch when he tells her about him and Pam. I just thought that was SO well written and played, it just made my skin crawl how realistically tense it was. I don't remember exactly what she says, something along the lines of "Gosh, I'm just so happy for you, to hear how great you're doing!". It's moments like those that I watch "The Office" for. In short, I'm not sure I'd say I miss her, but it would be great to have her pop up now and again, and if Rashida's new show doesn't work out that just might happen.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments Yo what up Chone?