Banned Books discussion

GENERAL BOOK DISCUSSIONS > Tango & Co.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nated (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Nated Doherty | 24 comments And also, the implication that gay characters are somehow automatically negative is disgraceful. Any accusation of faulty sexuality is laughable coming from a set of people that espouse 'american' sexual values which are at the best polymorphic and at the worst simply a perversion of human connection into an exchange of goods. Besides, most of these people (the critics/bigots) probably have no understanding of or ability to have even friendsship with people, much less anything resembling constructive sexual relations.

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Jessica | 1 comments This is what our country has come to. It's really so ridiculous, it's almost hard to believe. I don't think there's anything funny about looking like the stupidest society in the known universe. I'm going to go bang my head against the wall until it hurts less.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) I know. I just read And Tango Makes Three and it's a wonderful storybook for young kids. It's a sweet, educational, and actually quick an innocent book. But even it it wasn't, how ridiculous it is to suggest banning such a book or keeping kids away from it. Knowing there was much opposition to this book has me even more worried about the upcoming election; I stop trusting people to use good judgment. Anyway, it's a really good book; I gave this book 5 stars and will recommend it to many.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I haven't read the book myself, but I've heard about it.

For me, if it's based on a true story, then make of it what you will, but it's not like the authors trying to send out scary, bad messages or anything. They're just saying what happened.

It's crazy, the reasons people try to ban books. And the story sounds so sweet. I'll have to make a trip to the picture book section of the library and get it out.

Have a stupendous day.

message 5: by Pandora (new)

Pandora  | 68 comments To answer you question we have And Tango Makes Three in our public library collection. We also have King and King which is about a young Prince in search of his true love. It ends as the title suggests.

I like both books and can't understand the bigotary. Don't people read history? Never has it been a good idea to deny people human rights.

message 6: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I work for a library and we do happen to have that book on most of the shelves in most of the libraries. I don't see how people could object to a book that is based on a true story. Talk about closed-minded. I have read the book, and it is very cute and low key. It is not like they are pushing for homosexuality. They are just writing a story about it.

message 7: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (MalfoyFanGirl) | 2 comments This book is in my home library and I have read it to my kids many times. I also have "Heather Has Two Mommies" and "All Families Are Special" in our collection. Am I gay? No. Do I think reading these stories to my kids will "turn them gay?" No. I want to teach them tolerance and acceptance of all people.

message 8: by Trevor (new)

Trevor The whole idea that a book could 'turn someone gay' is very amusing. It actually says much more about the homophobes and their motivations than they might care to reflect on. I mean, if they are quite so easily 'converted'...

"I was straight but then one day I made the mistake of reading a book about two male penguins and suddenly I found myself in a bar drinking fluffy ducks and tapping my foot to Dancing Queen."

My favourite line on this subject was an Australian politician whose well informed comment on homosexuality was, "You don't see animals in the field doing things like that." Which proves he hadn't spent very much time watching animals in the field, either that or he had been dropped on his head at birth.

message 9: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Anyway, gay penguins indeed – just because they dress well doesn’t automatically make them gay.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Well Said Alycia!!

message 11: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
Trevor, you made me laugh out loud!

Here, here Alycia.

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 8 comments Facts are facts. Whether or not the penguins were really in love, they were successful parents. Pretty impressive. Trying to cover up facts is just disgraceful. If you don't like it, don't read it. Keep you own kids from reading it if you must. Tell everyone you know how wrong you feel it is if you want. Agitate, advertise, protest, network, do what you will. But don't try to block my rights in the process. Why don't people realize that someday they may find themselves on the other end of bigotry and oppression? Even if they were right about their views (which I do NOT believe), you can't fight for right by doing wrong. It will never work in the end. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, by the nature of this group and to some degree GoodReads in general. It just gets me fired up.

As for gay rights, like many others I feel like it's a matter of human rights. And our constitution. I think there should be a clear distinction between the legal contract of marriange and the religious rite. I'd like to see the reaction if someone proposed a law limiting business partnerships to mixed-sex twosomes.

Hey Trevor, what's a fluffy duck?

message 13: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 97 comments I agree with everyone that And Tango Makes Three should have never been banned in the first place. I have recently read this book and I really enjoyed the fact that the book was trying to promote that everyone can make a family, no matter how different they are and this book really did a great job at explaining that. It's kind of sad that some people wanted to banned this book because of the "homosexuality theme" even though this book was just merely trying to tell the audience that anyone can have a family and be happy.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) going to step on my soapbox quickly...

its attitudes like those of the people that are trying to ban the book that influence the public opinion. in the news the last day is the story of the Rutgers freshman who committed suicide after his roommate filmed him in their room with a guy and then broadcasting it over the web - the fact that his roommate even considering doing something like this is deplorable...along with the continued harassment of a gay student leader at the University of Michigan by the Asst. Attorney General (who at a minimum has taken pictures of him and edited them to include images of swastika's and participating in a rally against him)...There are schools in other states who cannot teach anti-bullying programs because they were protested by anti-gay leagues and these same schools have had 3 teenagers commit suicide in the past 2 months for because of homophobic acts...

stepping off soapbox now

message 15: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 97 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "going to step on my soapbox quickly...

its attitudes like those of the people that are trying to ban the book that influence the public opinion. in the news the last day is the story of the Rut..."

That's a really interesting story Dee! It is true that the general public views on homosexuality causes many books like this to be banned and it is very sad since this book is fairly innocent.