English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Books I missed.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 555 (555 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 18, 2015 05:47AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 2800 comments Mod
I think I need to add this because there are so many books that I find after the fact. What probably happens is that they slide by without any promotion of any kind and then show up under another book. We have a lot of these books in June 2015 read-along.

message 2: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 18, 2015 06:19AM) (new)

Although these authors are in the makeup of "Authors by country" already these are some of the books we missed. In the Shadow of Sadd a anthology written by Steen Langstrup, Sara Blaedel, Gretelise Holm, and Lars Kjaedgaard, published in October 12, 2012. Feel free to add any books you haven't seen on this site that have been translated into English for us one language wonders.

message 3: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2232 comments Mod
Just pre ordered The Dying Season, Bruno #8. Martin Walker. Still no sign of The Patriach so curious if there is a listing error?

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

It must be the British version of the same book because I pre-ordered "The Patriarch" when it came out.

message 5: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Kenneth wrote: "It must be the British version of the same book because I pre-ordered "The Patriarch" when it came out."

Could be. iBook finds no listing for your title. I found this by searching by authors name. Look forward to it, whatever the name as love the Bruno series.

message 6: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Hey Fizzycola, Jan Costin Wagner has a book out but I haven't seen it before called The Winter of the Lions. Whats in English? Maybe I'm confusing it with another book.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea O'Neill | 19 comments I have read The a Winter of Lions in English. I have read three of the four books that I own of his in order, and I believe that is the third one.

message 8: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 02, 2015 06:21PM) (new)

There's a book by a Icelandic author Jón Kalman Stefánsson called Heaven and Hell which has five stars and was written in 2011. We'll see, I got it for $.01 + shipping. It's a trilogy the other two books will be translated and published later this year.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 97 comments It sounded interesting, let us know if you like it.

message 10: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Susan wrote: "It sounded interesting, let us know if you like it."

Just received it and will let you know after I finish The Bone Tree by Greg Iles it's a long book.

message 11: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Susan wrote: "It sounded interesting, let us know if you like it."

Just received it and will let you know after I finish The Bone Tree by Greg Iles it's a long book."

Curious what you think of The Bone Tree....

message 12: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Right now it's long, so far it's a re-hash of the other books. Says it's 30+ hours long. Just got to some action. Let you know what I feel after I finish. So far it's good, the 30 hours has me psych out.

message 13: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Right now it's long, so far it's a re-hash of the other books. Says it's 30+ hours long. Just got to some action. Let you know what I feel after I finish. So far it's good, the 30 hours has me ..."

I've read GI for years, all his books. They were amazing reading. But the Penn Cage series gets longer and longer and more violent every book......! IMHO....

message 14: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

The author of The Dinosaur Featherhas written another book called The Arc of the Swallow which has been published on April 7, 2015. Sissel-Jo Gazan is now living in Berlin with her husband and two children.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (1meow1) | 98 comments Read these a while ago. Great books. Can't wait for anything more by her. I did enjoy Arc of the Swallow a little better than The Dinosaur Feather.

message 16: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 29, 2015 06:42PM) (new)

There is a new series by Anders Jallai called Deep State. It was published 1/30/15 and is the first in the series, it was published in 2010. He has two other books which are like espionage thrillers, both published in 2015..

message 17: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Mons Kallentoft has two books which I have been waiting for in my library they are: The Fifth Season published September 25, 2014 and Water Angels published April 23, 2015.

message 18: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Evans | 32 comments I've read the first two in her series. Thanks for reminding me. I'll look for the Autumn, Spring etc. when I've finished the Hakan Nesser books I'm engrossed in now.

message 19: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 02, 2015 06:49PM) (new)

We have another author from the U.K. in Erik Boman. His book is set in Stockholm and is called "Siren Song: A Different Scandinavian Crime Novel," it was published November 14, 2014.

message 20: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 02, 2015 07:46PM) (new)

We have a Finnish author in Reijo Mäki with The Sheriff: A Jussi Vares Nordic PI Novel. Published May 15, 2015.

message 21: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

We missed a book called Devil's Touch by Tina Lindegaard a Danish author published June 16, 2015. Also Darkwoods by Susanne Staun Published June 30, 2014. It was Awarded Best Crime Novel of the Year from the Danish Crime Academy.

message 22: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

We have a Finnish author Anja Snellman who had written a book called Pet shop Girls which was published August 19, 2013.

message 23: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Sweden - The Boy in the Shadows by Carl-Johan Vallgren published January 29, 2019.

message 24: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Denmark - Next of Kin by Elsabeth Egholm published 2006.

message 25: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Iceland - Jón Kalman Stefánsson wrote The Sorrow of Angels published March 24, 2015.

message 26: by Helen (new)

Helen | 140 comments Lucky me. My favourite Scandi author Johan Theorin has released a new book. Voices from Beyond. Also I brought another book by Neil Grimmit The Threasing Circle set on beautiful island of Crete. Lucky me

message 27: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I can see that in Australia Johan Theorin has released "Voices From Beyond" but it's not out in the USA. Lucky You.

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen | 140 comments How come this place from down under gets books released before the U.S.A. We have had "The Quarry" by Johan Theorin.out for over three years. I l am still waiting for Persson's The Dying Detective" though.

message 29: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 21, 2015 07:01PM) (new)

Mary has a new book called The Shapeshifters written by Stefan Spjut. Was published in July of 2015. You can see her describe it in message 295 of Noir Near and Far. PS - I needed something quirky to read for a change.

message 30: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Sep 24, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Two books that I missed are: 1) Grendel's Game by Erik Mauritzson published July 31,2015. And 2) The Other Son, published July 21, 2015 by Alexander Söderberg, it is the 2nd book of the Brinkman Trilogy. The 1st was The Andalucian Friend.

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen | 140 comments Kenneth wrote: "Two books that I missed are: 1) Grendel's Game by Erik Mauritzson published July 31,2015. And 2) The Other Son, published July 21, 2015 by [auth..."
Kenneth Just finished Trophy by Steffen Jacobsen. Basically set in Denmark, A couple went missing while skiing in Norway. Years later a heiress finds a video among her deceased father's estate. I found ;myself racing to maps of Norway and Denmark to locate these places, Also, I read The Second Child. Jon Stenhugg. After the war a child is smuggled and protected in Sweden. Did Hitler finance this and for what reason. Both good books. Read other reviews.

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary (1meow1) | 98 comments Anyone have any comments or reviews re: the Brinkman Trilogy? I just picked up The Hanging Girl from the library so I'm not in a big rush to start a trilogy. I've seen good reviews and not so good reviews. If it's a good series (Millennium trilogy) I love to really get into them and read them back to back. I too have copies of maps of whatever country I'm reading about. I've really learned a lot about that part of the world.

message 33: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Mary wrote: "Anyone have any comments or reviews re: the Brinkman Trilogy? I just picked up The Hanging Girl from the library so I'm not in a big rush to start a trilogy. I've seen good reviews and not so good ..."

It starts out in Spain if my memory serves me right.

message 34: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Sep 27, 2015 05:00PM) (new)

Missed Leif Pedersen book on published on July 7, 2015 called Murders in Christianshavn: Swedish murders in Christianshavn. His first book was called T.1 Red snow at Tivoli.

message 35: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Also I missed A.C. Efverman"s book called Game published August *, 2015. It's a book about Swedish football played in Australia.

message 36: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Missed Game published 12/3/2013, Buzz published 1/7/2014, and Bubble published 2/4/2014. Written by Anders de la Motte.

message 38: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Another book is The Second Child by Jon Stenhugg Published April 30, 2015.

message 39: by Helen (new)

Helen | 140 comments Hi Kenneth I have just finished reading this book. I enjoyed it. Well written. I like the descriptions of Sweden just after WW2. Also in parts it read like a historical novel. I was not aware of Sweden's ties to Germany during and after the war. Look forward to more from this writer

message 40: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Missed Made in Sweden Part 1: The Father by Anton Svensson (which is the pseudonym for Stefan Thunberg and Anders Roslund) Published August 6, 2015. The Kindle will be out on April 6, 2016.

message 41: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Oct 02, 2015 07:13AM) (new)

Another miss Johan Theorin wrote The Voices Beyond and was published July 2, 2015.

message 42: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Yet another book called The Seed by Norwegian author Tarjei Vesaas published April 1, 2015.

message 43: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 219 comments Mod
Kenneth, you're killing me here. Every time I look you have another great recommendation. Oh well, even if my wallet doesn't appreciate it, I do...keep'em coming. Thanks!

message 44: by Helen (last edited Oct 02, 2015 12:34PM) (new)

Helen | 140 comments I read The Voices Beyond.I enjoyed it. He writes like a poet. My favourite Swedish writer. Gerdof (an aged pensioner) is the main character in this series.I always want to visit Sweden after reading his descriptions. There is a wistfullnesn and a yearning in all his writing. They are not hurried or rushed. I feel this series may be coming to an end. Gerdof is becoming frail.

message 45: by Fizzycola (last edited Oct 02, 2015 01:46PM) (new)

Fizzycola | 164 comments Kenneth wrote: "Yet another book called The Seed by Norwegian author Tarjei Vesaas published April 1, 2015."

Tarjei Vesaas has been dead for 45 years. They are translating his books to English NOW?

message 46: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Fizzycola wrote: "Kenneth wrote: "Yet another book called The Seed by Norwegian author Tarjei Vesaas published April 1, 2015."

Tarjei Vesaas has been dead for 45 years. They are trans..."

It must be really interesting to get translated.

message 47: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Fizzycola wrote: "Kenneth wrote: "Yet another book called The Seed by Norwegian author Tarjei Vesaas published April 1, 2015."

Tarjei Vesaas has been dead for 45 years. They are trans..."

Probably should not say this but I have had a suspicion for a couple of years now that writers and books that would NEVER be translated and make it beyond their home borders are riding the big wave or trying very hard to catch on to the big wave of interest in Scandinavian writing.
Which is why, after a few truly very tedious to bad reads, I am not taking on new authors until well and truly tested out.
This is coming from my personal experience having read Scandinavian books for well over two decades. And also watched with delight the many tv series and films. Most of which surpass anything else! But then I tend to think European writing, drama and series are currently excellent.
There are way too many mediocre writers currently publishing, which may be a digital age issue.
Either way, I urge caution.

message 48: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I don't know how I missed this book but it's by Mari Jungstedt and was published February 12, 2015 called The Dangerous Game: Anders Knutas series 8.

message 49: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Dark Branches by Nik Frobenius was published July 16, 2015.

message 50: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Added 2 had Anna already. Thank You.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12