fiction files redux discussion

Authors > mott the hoople, willard manus

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . . so has anyone (adrian?) read this willard manus novel from whom the band took its name . . .? . . .sounds like it falls into the confederacy of dunces / ginger man neighborhood:

MOTT THE HOOPLE is an underground classic 60's comic novel. It is written in a freewheeling bawdy style. It's hero, Norman Mott, is a Rabelaisian figure who refuses to wear anybody's label, insists on being his own man, and, through a series of comic misadventures, discovers just who that man is. Some people will know Mott the Hoople from the British rock band that took its name from the book.

message 2: by Esther (new)

Esther | 83 comments Mod
I hadn't even heard of the band until last year when my husband said the name. Of course, I could've sworn he asked me if I knew who Martha Hoople was so...

message 3: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
i always wondered why that band had such a shitty name...

message 4: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. . . i think mott the hoople is kind of a cool name . . . apparently the singer read the book in prison . . .

message 5: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Ben wrote: "i always wondered why that band had such a shitty name..."

me too

message 6: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
Jonathan wrote:"... a Rabelaisian figure ..."

it's really sad that every time i see the name Rabelais, all i can think about is cod pieces.

johnny -- do you know if the book is still in print?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: " . . . so has anyone (adrian?) read this willard manus novel from whom the band took its name . . .? . . ."

"Not me," quacked the little duck.

But it was mentioned by somebody who got me to read Evil Companions by Michael Perkins. Urghk! I had had enough of the '60s for a while.

message 8: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Matt wrote: "Ben wrote: "i always wondered why that band had such a shitty name..."

me too"

. . . i think it's out of print, but there's lots of copies floating around on amazon, etc . . . that's kinda' why i'm interested in it . . . since literary fiction is all about backlisting, i'm always curious which titles go out of print . . . for instance, all of portis's titles went out of print, and many of stanley elkin's . . .but in both of those cases, somebody reprinted them eventually . . .

message 9: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 19, 2009 07:32PM) (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
Jonathan wrote: . . . i think it's out of print, but there's lots of copies floating around on amazon, etc . .that's kinda' why i'm interested in it . . . since literary fiction is all about backlisting, i'm always curious which titles go out of print . . . for instance, all of portis's titles went out of print, and many of stanley elkin's . . .but in both of those cases, somebody reprinted them eventually . . .
"

well i think it's a matter of vogue, but matt can probably tell us more. certainly at the edu publisher i worked at, orders were a consideration: if they don't get orders for books consistently, eventually they move from front list to backlist, and eventually to O/P. a lot of author contracts stipulated if it went O/P they had they option to buy back rights. i would think what would happen is an intrepid publishing house who wants to publish that type of book again and goes through their backlist, or another publishing house might decide that it fit their list and would approach another house with the rights and slap on a new cover, and now's a good time for this book again.