David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
This topic is about Rot & Ruin
Archives (Book of the Month) > June 2015 Book of the Month - Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen’s Library (last edited Jul 12, 2015 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Amazing bestselling author Jonathan Maberry will be joining the group for a Q&A starting on June 22nd and we'll be reading his book Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Rot and Ruin!!

Spoilers are welcome but be sure to use spoiler tags for those who haven't finished reading yet. :)

I'm especially excited about this one as I've "pushing" this book for a few years!! ;)

You can discuss here! Enjoy!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 330 comments OMG!! I can't wait for him to be here. He's so nice. I am all caught up with the series and have new one on pre-order. I hope I can still join in the discussion. :-)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments I've been wanting to read this. I'll see if I can get a copy and join in

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I will also try to join in.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 330 comments ☆Joycedale☆ wrote: "I've been wanting to read this. I'll see if I can get a copy and join in"

I hope you can! The whole series rocks :-)

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
So glad this is the BOTM and that THE AUTHOR is visiting our group!

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
LOVED this book! The whole series actually!

I'm currently reading the prequel that is all about "first night". I've read this series twice, once on ebook and once by audio. I may be picking up my signed hardback and read it again, I loved it so much! ;)

So who has read this? What'd you think?

I was really unsure of the protagonist Benny at first. What a brat!!! But by the end I was completely captivated by the "Warrior Smart" group! Tom Imura!! Adore everything about him! I love how the zombies are not the bad guys and how you really feel for them.

This was my first ever zombie series and so far, still my favorite!! One of my top favorite series ever in fact!

I had refused to read zombie books before this. And then I watched the first episode of The Walking Dead and ended up binge watching the first 2 seasons. From there, I think thanks to Heidi, I read this book and have been a zombie lover ever since! ;)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Just picked up my copy of this yesterday from the library.

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Jun 12, 2015 08:46AM) (new) - added it

I'm trying to remember back to the first one...since I've read the whole series, I tend to think of it as a whole.

I loved the originality of this one...the zombies, the world was completely different than a lot of other books. I love how Maberry "humanized" the zombies. And everything was so detailed...I could smell the rot when I was reading. I also REALLY loved Tom!!

Just an amazing series all the way around. The "Warrior Smart" think kind of got on my nerves, that was my only real criticism. Everything else was perfect.

Donna (donanicole) | 897 comments I loved Mayberry's books Rot and Ruin, loved Benny eventually, who went from a brat to a hero.

Nancy (paper_addict) I have to go to the library and get this. It was available last week when I checked so hopefully it still is. This is going to mess up my reading A-Z challenge. I have already read a book that starts with R, LOL.

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 787 comments Really liking this book. Done with the Anna and the French kiss series, so I can dedicate myself to this series!!! *yay

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought it was really cool with the Zombie cards and how zombies had basically just become a part of their normal life, even while they were protected inside the settlement.

I loved looking at all the zombie cards. The first time I met the author, he gave me a copy of HIS zombie card. He's hilarious!

Madison (ramblingbookreader) I'm almost done with it! I noticed this was the botm this month and usually don't join in on discussions but I am really liking this one plus when I finish it I'll have the excuse to buy the others ;)

Harlee | 1583 comments When I first read this, I almost DNF it because Benny annoyed me SO MUCH but by the end I loved him. Tom Imura has joined my ever growing list of book boyfriends lol! ;)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 787 comments Lol yes so far I love tom, and like Benny too.

Nancy (paper_addict) I got my copy at the library and will be starting this tonight!

Yay, Nancy!! Can't wait to hear what you think!! :)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 787 comments Loving this book, but having to put it on hold this week, gonna try to read some books by authors that are gonna b at this book tour I'm going to Friday!!! Sad to put this on the back burner though :(

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 787 comments oh my goodness guys, I just finished this book and it was soo good. the ending left me in tears, which totally surprised me. cant wait to read the next one!!!!!

message 24: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Yay Alison! So happy to hear you loved it :)

Nancy (paper_addict) Alison wrote: "oh my goodness guys, I just finished this book and it was soo good. the ending left me in tears, which totally surprised me. cant wait to read the next one!!!!!"

I just finished and I didn't cry but came close!

Interesting take on the zombie theme especially how people acted inside the fence.

message 26: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

The whole series is interesting Nancy! Glad you hear you liked it!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Starting this one either today or tomorrow.
Late is better than never!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Page 45 and I hate Benny.

Yay Daniel! Good sign if you hate Benny! ;)

message 30: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ha! Benny is kinda sorta hateable early on. It's intentional as that's the beginning of a swooping arc and a long road. Enjoy the read.

message 31: by Daniel (last edited Jul 12, 2015 12:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Page 320. Whoa, shit just got real.
The characters aren't my favourite, which is strange, because this is the most nervous that I've been reading a book in a while. My heart is pounding. Usually I only get this nervous if I really care about the characters. I don't care that much yet, but I'm still getting chills.

By the end, hopefully you will find the connection, Daniel. At least I did. Especially to Tom.

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel wrote: "Page 320. Whoa, shit just got real.
The characters aren't my favourite, which is strange, because this is the most nervous that I've been reading a book in a while. My heart is pounding. Usually I ..."

Hahaha! The author is a true master of chill!

Nancy (paper_addict) I borrowed a library book. I wish I had it so I could turn to page 320 and see where Daniel is at! I have a good idea idea though ;)

I love when I read a book and I get nervous.

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Gave it 3 stars. Here's my review. Feel free to leave comments here, I'd love to discuss it with you guys!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Very well written review Daniel!

I felt almost the exact opposite about the characters. They all really stood out in my mind. The relationships between them all was very intense and complicated, especially Tom and Benny's. So we will just have to agree to disagree on that :)

message 37: by Daniel (last edited Jul 13, 2015 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Jenny wrote: "Very well written review Daniel!

I felt almost the exact opposite about the characters. They all really stood out in my mind. The relationships between them all was very intense and complicated, e..."

Yeah, I just don't understand why I don't love them. There's nothing wrong about them, I just... couldn't quite grab the connection. Thanks for reading!

message 38: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Of course :) It was a very well written review, and I agree with everything expect the characters. I can see if you didn't love the characters, how that would make the book less enjoyable.

I feel the same way about The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass series. I really don't care at all about the characters. Others are completely in love with Maxon. I don't get it. *shrugs* That's how it is sometimes!

message 39: by Nancy (last edited Jul 13, 2015 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nancy (paper_addict) Your review is great Daniel. I am not very good at writing lengthy reviews. I think you did a great job saying what you really liked and what you didn't and let other people decide if they want to read it.

Nancy (paper_addict) I feel like I am the only me that doesn't have these strong reactions to the characters when reading. Not just this book. I'm noticing more how much people say they love or hate the characters in the books they are reading.

I just read the book and see where it takes me. I either enjoyed the ride or I didn't.

message 41: by Daniel (last edited Jul 13, 2015 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Thanks Nancy!
One thing I always try to do in a review, regardless of whether I like it or not, is to never tell the reader they shouldn't read the book. I don't like it when readers skip a book because a review they read told them not to read it.

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

You all are superstars! Love seeing the respect in this group, regardless of whether we agree on a particular book/character. That's what reading and discussing books is all about! Daniel is a fair/honest reviewer. He's written some really amazing reviews about my books, some more neutral ones, and one not-so-positive one, but I respect his opinion on all of them.

And yeah, I agree, Daniel's reviews are TOP NOTCH in terms of the quality of his writing and expressing opinions :)

Back to Rot & Ruin: Daniel/Nancy, are you two planning on continuing with the series? Just curious :)

message 43: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Very well said David! I agree completely :)That is just one of many reasons why I LOVE this group.

And I do love discussing books, even when we all don't agree. Honestly, those make the best book discussions. Remember the Requiem (Delirium, #3) by Lauren Oliver Buddy Read? That turned into an AMAZING book discussion!

Nancy (paper_addict) Yes, I plan on continuing the series and I would like to read the other books by Jonathan Maberry.

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Aww thanks David!
And yes, I do plan on continuing the series.

Kevin (khardman) | 5 comments This was a great read; with the way it ended, I knew there had to be more books in the series (although, sadly, I haven't gotten around to reading them yet).

I think the entire series is amazing!! Book 2 was the one that really drew me in!

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rot & Ruin (other topics)
Requiem (other topics)
The Selection (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Maberry (other topics)