David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Black City (Black City, #1)
This topic is about Black City
Buddy Reads! > Black City Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Karen and I are starting a buddy read for Black City (Black City, #1) by Elizabeth Richards starting Saturday June 6th! Everyone is welcome to join!

There are no set chapters per day, we just read at our own paces and start each post with how far along you are, i.e., Chapter #, %, using spoilers where needed. Have fun!

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Sounds good - I'm in!

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments I'm about 50 pages in and it has quite a The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black meets Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu vibe!

message 4: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh that's cool Lauren! I will start this today :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Yup. Me too. Starting today! :)

message 6: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay I'm up to 29% or page 108 in the paperback. I see the resemblance to the Coldest Girl in Coldtown (the walled city), but it actually reminds me more of The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa right now. So far I'm liking it. Its not really that original, but its an interesting story line, and I'm excited to find out more! I also really like Day and Ash, although not too big of a fan of the "princess" yet (I can't remember her name at this moment).

I'm on page 53. I haven't figured out what a "twin blood" is yet. I'm almost overloaded on information right now with all the different types of darklings, the cities, etc. Hope it all comes together soon. :)

Lauren wrote: "I'm about 50 pages in and it has quite a The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black meets Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu vibe!"

I didn't read The Coldest Girl in Town, but yup, definately a Legend vibe! And bits of Immortal too.

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Karen wrote: "I'm on page 53. I haven't figured out what a "twin blood" is yet. I'm almost overloaded on information right now with all the different types of darklings, the cities, etc. Hope it all comes toget..."

Twin blood is half human half darkling.

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Jenny wrote: "Okay I'm up to 29% or page 108 in the paperback. I see the resemblance to the Coldest Girl in Coldtown (the walled city), but it actually reminds me more of The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa ..."

Never read that before.

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh Lauren, you need to, that is my favorite vampire trilogy! You will LOVE it!

Lauren wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'm on page 53. I haven't figured out what a "twin blood" is yet. I'm almost overloaded on information right now with all the different types of darklings, the cities, etc. Hope it a..."

I finally figured it out that it's half human half darkling. Geez. Took me long enough. ;)

I'm on page 148. How can they force (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree, Karen, that is crazy!

I'm up to page 222 now...(view spoiler)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather can I join in late guys? I also have the sequel to read!

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Of course Heather :)

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Yay I am finishing The Wedding right now then I will start that book! I have had it on my shelf forever just never had the drive to really pick it up.

Jenny wrote: "I agree, Karen, that is crazy!

I'm up to page 222 now... Okay, the story has actually kind of gone downhill for me. Talk about major instalove...normally that kind of thing doesn't bother me that ..."

I got to that part and slammed by book shut, Jenny! (view spoiler)

This book is just interesting enough to hang in there and you're right, it's an easy read. Whew.

Heather, you can join in anytime! Buddy reads are always just a "read at your own pace" thing. I've jumped in weeks or even a month after everyone else has finished and just comment so I have someone to talk to. Everyone responds to my comments! :)

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather Yay! I am finishing up The Wedding soon and then will start on this today because I am having to go to the doctor in an hour or so.

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments I've made it to 103 - just after the (view spoiler). That was gruesome. I'm not sure what to make of this heart business. I have some suspicions but I'm hoping that's not what going to happen...

message 22: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay I finished. Overall, I rated it 3 stars. (view spoiler)

I will probably read the sequel, just because I'm curious to find out what will happen next!

I'm at 79%. (view spoiler)

If I wasn't so far along, I may have DNF'd.

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Unfortunately, I gave it up at p. 175. I really enjoyed how it started off, but the instalove really drove me up the wall. Honestly, I didn't want to keep torturing myself... It started going downhill for me around 100. On to other reads.

I did enjoy the buddy read though! :) Any other interesting ones coming up?

Oh gosh, so glad it's not just me!! I'll finish but only because I'm so far along. ;)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Karen wrote: "Oh gosh, so glad it's not just me!! I'll finish but only because I'm so far along. ;)"

It definitely wasn't. I'm definitely interested in what you what you think of it. :)

I just finished. The ending redeemed it just a bit for me, brought it from a 2 up to a 3.

Jenny, I agree with you. I liked the premise of the book and the world building, but wow, those characters needed alot of help. I never connected with Natalie.

That instalove was awful! I seriously slammed my book shut at that point and almost didn't pick it back up.

I'm not sure if I'll continue with the next book. Probably not.

message 28: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lauren, it wasn't just you, I hated that too, so much! But the Darklings is what kept me reading, actually.

Karen, yes, the ending is what saved it for me as well.

I'm thinking I might read the sequel, but I'm not buying it LOL! Only if I can get it from the library :)

Do you want my copy? I'll mail it to you!! ;)

message 30: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

YAY Karen, that would be AWESOME! Thanks!!

You have Black City already, right?

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes I do :)

message 33: by Lauren (last edited Jun 10, 2015 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments If anyone would like to relieve me of my hardback copy, please let me know. :)

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (literarywisdom) | 8 comments :)

Ha Lauren, I'm doing the same thing!