Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Poll: Americans fear losing their quality of life...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/19/poll...

What do you think? This reminds me a bit of Larry's "great disruption" thread...but I can't help but think that we're due for a drop in quality of life that might not be such a bad thing...in other words, too many big houses, too many people with three cars, etc. What are the advantages and benefits of forced simplicity, if you will? How will our country collectively respond to the possibilities? Is it inevitable, with our standard of living so high, that we level off or drop? For example, I hear living spaces in Europe are much smaller than here...will some/most people consider smaller living spaces here unacceptable? What do you think?

message 2: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (theafricangourmet) If you have a roof over your head and food to eat in the fridge, you are better off than 75% of the people in the world. In the last 20 years we took excess in the USA to the 10th power, what goes up must come down.But things will level off, Americans never lost hope, just a higher standard of living.

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Mar 19, 2009 11:31AM) (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 20 comments Our relatives in Ireland walk everywhere furniture is passed down and groceries are purchased daily no waste.
We near new shop for clothing and household items. Be careful not to over do it or you run the risk of being a pack rat. Our culture here in America is very fast paced and scheduled ,myself included. I love mountain time with the family and being outside. Hate that sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. We live in a smaller house but still commute to work school and extra cirricular activities. as Americans we have had it good for a long time and as a country have not had to practice delayed gratification .It makes me so mad that corporate America gets bailed out and I still have to pay penalty or late fees.Let them deal.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Danielle!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think part of the problem is that there will always be fewer people who live consciously than those who overspend and overindulge. We can make our individual choices, but we're still surrounded by people who haven't realized or don't care what difference their own actions can make.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments In some ways, this could be good for America. Not everything, I know - not people losing their jobs and homes...
But I think not being able to get whatever you want as soon as you think of it makes you value what you do get much more. I wouldn't mind having a less "disposable" society.
I also love it that more people are cooking at home and starting gardens.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) "... and it's a hard rain, gonna fall."
Bob Dylan

message 8: by Danielle (last edited Mar 19, 2009 01:47PM) (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 20 comments Hola!!! I love reading all your comments and have decided yes, I'll plant a garden and be mindful and thankful . Loved the Dylan reference and appreciate the simple suggestions and thoughtfulness verses "doom and gloom"& "going to hell in a hand basket" forethought presented here.It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds over the next couple of months or so.In the interim enjoy your life and all the simple pleasures. Like my 2% Chai extra hot 1 pump of vanilla, nice Chilean wine w/ warm brie and cinnamon w/ walnuts,a good book and sleeping in the sun.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Mar 19, 2009 01:53PM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yay - another convert! One down, most of the country to go. :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ticks are everywhere. In the grass, in the trees. Keeping out of the garden won't help.
It's funny - I've squished a million of them on my horse's legs -- we used to keep a running tally - but when I find one on myself, it completely freaks me out. And when I found two on my dog last week -- three days after we went hiking, even though I had bathed him right afterward -- I felt like the worst owner in the world.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 20 comments Kate wrote: "Meh - I wouldn't start a garden. The ground is full of ticks. I already know too many people who've had Lyme disease infections."
Thanks for the heads up Sarah.
????? Pet Grass ,Wheat Grass garden, Chia Pet anyone???

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ticks aren't bad in the northwest, so no excuses not to start a garden because of them out here.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 20 comments what's wrong with Chia Pets???

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments See? I TOLD you ticks aren't bad in the northwest. They're superheros!

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) King Dinösaur wrote: "What's wrong with Ticks?
"

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ticks aren't bad in the northwest, and Lyme isn't as big of a worry...but you do have GIANT slugs.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Ticks aren't bad in the northwest, and Lyme isn't as big of a worry...but you do have GIANT slugs. "

Somehow, not as scary, though, Sarah Pi. You don't catch any diseases from slugs.

You can have some ducks around to keep them down, or use copper strips around vegetable beds. Or put out a pan of beer, and let them drown their troubles, for good...

message 18: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 19, 2009 03:41PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Jackie is a slug killer. But she lets them die in the most pleasurable way possible.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have a tick. when i get around almond joy ice cream my right eye twitches

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments If I were a slug, I would want to drown in beer.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I have a memory of killing slugs with salt when I was about five and living on/in/whatever Long Island for the summer.

*goes back to edit where do you live thread*

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I did that, too.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.