Chick Lit discussion

Book Club interest?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
Anyone interested in all of us reading the same book one month, then discussing it? Someone thought that's what this group was about, and I thought "why not?"

message 2: by Danell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Danell I would be interested :D

message 3: by Jewelz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Jewelz (galijewelz) | 8 comments Yeahh that would be great!!!

message 4: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) I like this idea, too! Maybe we could take turns picking a book each month? You know, this month reader A picks a book, next month reader b, and so on... Just an idea... Right now, I'm reading a Jodi Picoult book, My Sister's Keeper - anyone read that? IT'S GREAT!!

message 5: by Bethany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Bethany | 2 comments I would definitely be interested in this! Sounds fun! :)

message 6: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Jen | 1 comments I'd be interested!

message 7: by Shawna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Shawna | 2 comments I love the idea. How do we get started? Maybe Denise should choose the first book and designate the timeline for reading, since it was her idea in the first place. Then we can decide on a time to meet on-line and discuss the book together. What do you think?

message 8: by Tina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Tina | 6 comments Would definitely be interested also!

message 9: by Tina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Tina | 6 comments Love,love,love that book!

message 10: by Bonita (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Bonita Rose I am interested as well.. count me in.

message 11: by Jewelz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Jewelz (galijewelz) | 8 comments sounds great, but what if we can't get or find that book?

message 12: by stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

stephanie (furies) i'm all for it . . . i just really don't want to read another shopaholic book. (i'm terrible, i know.) or the new book by the authors of the nanny diaries and citizen girl.

how are we going to find a book most of us haven't read?

also, i vote for it to be in paperback, as that will make it more accessible and cheaper for all involved.

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Michelle (mbradtke) I'd be interested. I'm brand new to Good Reads, and this group looked interesting to join!
MichelleB

message 14: by Jewelz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Jewelz (galijewelz) | 8 comments i agree furies!!

message 15: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Stacy Goodspeed | 1 comments Hi!!! I'm new to the group and would love to join a book club. Everyone has always thought I was some kind of freak for reading chick lit. Its nice to meet others who enjoy the same books!!

message 16: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Meredith | 5 comments Yeah I agree. I'd like to start reading something but it doesn't seem that the person who started the discussion has said anything. Does anyone want to volunteer then to pick a book? There is no way that we are going to be able to pick something that everyone hasn't already read so I guess some people will be left out some months. Any takers?

message 17: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) I've been wanting to read "Salem Falls" by Jodi Picoult. Would anyone else be interested in reading that one for the first choice? I have NO IDEA how to do this, but I'm willing to give it a try.... Does anyone know how to lead the discussion group?

message 18: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Meredith | 5 comments I have no idea how to lead it but would read that book. I'm open to pretty much anything. What does everyone else think?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like a great idea. What book are we going to read?

message 20: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) I've been in my share of book clubs so I can help lead a discussion.

I haven't read "Salem Falls" and would be willing to give it a read. :)

message 21: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) ...me again. :) Or we may want to create a new topic for book discussion nominations and let people submit ideas for a day and then create a voting topic. We can keep the unselected nominees in mind for future discussions.

message 22: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Katie E Linder I like the idea of a new topic for nominations. I also haven't read "Salem Falls" and I like Picoult.

message 23: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) OK ladies! Looks like theres at least 5 of us interested in this book. Let's choose "Salem Falls" by Jodi Picoult for our first book. We'll start next Saturday with an "assignment" of the first group of pages to read. SO --- if you want to participate with this book, use this week to get a copy of it, and check back here next Saturday to get your homework!

Guess I'm off to B&N today or tomorrow! :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Great. I can't wait.

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Lauren | 6 comments Dangit. I already read that book! It's good. I love Jodi Picoult. I might just pop in on the discussion of it til our next book!

message 26: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) I got a copy of 'Salem Falls' today, and there's questions in the back of it for group discussions. Maybe Lauren can help us with topics, since she's already read the book, or we could just talk about the questions that's provided in the back. I stay pretty busy all week, so I want to ENJOY reading, not have it feel like I HAVE TO, kwim? What if we take the book in sections --- like, say, by the end of week one, you need to be on page 75 or something? Also, would you all be interested in starting a yahoo group for us to "discuss" our book, without giving it away in here, in case someone wants to read it later? Just some things I've been thinking about....

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

A yahoo group? Does that mean we would have to get a yahoo e-mail account?

message 28: by Tina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Tina | 6 comments I'm in, going to get my copy in the next couple days

message 29: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Michelle (mbradtke) Just got mine last night at the library. I have never read Picoult, so I'm looking forward to it!
michelleB

message 30: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
Thanks ladies! I originally suggested a book club but have had several things come up and haven't been back here until just now.

I've never read JP so thanks for the suggestion. I don't know that I'll be joining in the discussion because of (a) the MANY things going on in my life right now -- see below ;) and (b) it's not really my idea of a chick lit book -- I prefer the light, humorous stuff over suspense/mystery, although it looks really, really good (any time they throw some Wicca in there, I'm willing, just to see how it's portrayed). So perhaps I'll give it a try.

I was looking at "Frienemies" by Megan Crane as a title but it just came out at the end of June. My library didn't have it yet and I didn't want to pick something everyone *had* to buy, KWIM? So maybe next time around...

I'll keep an eye on the discussion as to a date to have Salem Falls read (mid-August?). I'm all for a Yahoo group but it would be nice to have discussions here, too, for future reference. I have about 4 or 5 Yahoo IDs, so no problem for me joining from any of my accounts ;)

Right now we're in the process of selling our house (have an offer) and looking for something new (locally, thank God), THEN we'll be in the process of actually MOVING (ugh) and celebrating my son's 1st birthday, soooo...I will pop in when I can!

Thanks again for the first book club suggestion! I'm looking forward to discussing it with everyone if I can.

message 31: by Bethany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Bethany | 2 comments Woohoo! Just picked a copy up from my library! This book looks great and I can't wait to start!

message 32: by Tina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Tina | 6 comments Got my book!

message 33: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Ashley Hey Everyone!! I am brand new to goodreads but am thrilled about this group!! I am on my way to go buy "Salem Falls" now and would love to be part of the discussion!! Thanks for starting this!!

message 34: by Carrie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Carrie | 9 comments Hi everyone, I am new as well. I am a freelance writer and fiction lover and just moved to southern California from New York City in January! I love chic lit and really enjoyed the Shopaholic series, have read all of them. I also enjoy more serious literary endeavors as well, particularly by Anna Quinlen, Margaret Atwood, and Alice Hoffman. Did anyone read the last Alice Hoffman book where the main character gets hit by lightning and it affects the rest of her life? It was so well done, and yet...how do I say this...super creepy!

message 35: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) FYI - be sure and find the topic "SALEM FALLS reading group" on the chick-lit main page. There's 2 of these...go to the most recent one. Somehow, I screwed up the first one and can't post a message there. Anyway, it has our first assignment, and we'll be using that area to discuss SALEM FALLS from here on. See ya there!! If you have problems finding it, email me: our2bigboys@verizon.net Put "salem falls' in the subject header.

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Michelle (mbradtke) Help - I can't find the "Salem Falls Reading group" link on the main page of Chick Lit!!
michelleB

message 37: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) on the CHICK LIT main page, just above and to the right of "discussion board" it says "start new topic" and "view all." Click on view all and look for it there. HTH!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

count me in .. give the timeline as well

message 39: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) Sarsky - honestly, I don't have a timeline. I've never done this before. I have no idea....sorry! :)

message 40: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Matthews | 15 comments I just joined and also that was the object of the group. Let's do it! If there is a leader..they could assign one or we could have 3 to choose from and all vote on one???

message 41: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Matthews | 15 comments Oh...just looked..last posting August.anything going on?

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments I also just joined this group, I was wondering how the salem falls discussion went...worthwhile to try again? I'm a big picoult fan, almost all of hers have questions in the end which is so helpful. Anyway, if there are people out there who'd like to try to read another one and set up a discussion, I'm interested.

message 43: by Ashley (new)

Ashley We do have a Book Club going called Chick Lit Book Club, and we are currently on hold for the holidays, but should be starting up again sometime in January. Hope to see you there!

message 44: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 1 comments I'm also a new member to this group and I am definitely interested in joining a discussion group. Any idea what the book will be?

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Savannah Blues should be next. Denise is going to lead it this time around.

message 46: by Kendra (new)

Kendra E (mrse1107) | 2 comments for the book club, can anyone just join in right before you begin a new book?!

message 47: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Matthews | 15 comments I will be joining for the first time this month as well. Can anyone give us specifics on when we should have the book done, when is the discussion, is it here or a chat room of some sort?

message 48: by Lou (new)

Lou (monspetits) | 2 comments I'd like to join in, too. Sounds great!

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley We will be starting our next book this month. I usually lead the discussion by posting questions for groups of chapters. This next book will be led by Denise and I am not sure which format she will use. We generally just get the books as soon as we know we'll be getting started (If you already have it, you can start reading now), and then the leader posts questions and you answer/comment as you get to that part. Anyone can read ahead as long as they don't ruin any future parts for those who are slower readers :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to join in too. Has the book already been chosen?

« previous 1