Books for Boys discussion

Hello

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Kirsch (rakirsch) | 4 comments I'm new to the group as of today. I joined because I'd like to hear discussions on "books for boys". I have a fear (perhaps unfounded) that fewer and fewer children, especially boys, are reading these days.

I've added a book to the group's library. It is titled: Pine Woods. Pine Woods is a sci-fi/fantasy for middle school and up. My intention was to take an interesting story and insert a kernel of history in an attempt to help boys (and girls) have a greater appreciation for history.

I'd also like to know what you think of my book and its concept. I'm currently writing the 5th story, although only the first has been published. There is more information about my book at my website: http://www.bicycle-tales.com

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Hi Richard,

I share your concern about young readers. I currently tutor a reluctant reader who reads below grade level. He's in grade school, but I'm always on the lookout for books that will grab the interest of boys, whether to share with him now or share when he's a few years older. I'll check out your book. Thanks.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Kirsch (rakirsch) | 4 comments Hi Janis,

Thanks for taking a look at my book. I'm hoping, now that one book is published, I'll be able to get a publisher to commit to the series. Recently I gave a talk to middle schoolers at the end of the talk a boy raised his hand and asked, "Did you like to read when you were in grade school?" I had to be honest and admit, "No". My sister was the reader in our family; I was the adventurer. That's changed over the years. I must admit, when there was a book that really caught my interest, I gobbled it up. But then, it seemed there was nothing that could rival that first book. Eventually another did come along and on and on and on.

message 4: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyjr) | 1 comments hi. i'm 7. i'm looking for boys my age who like read. i was hoping to talk to them on here and maybe share some book ideas.

message 5: by Alexandra (last edited Feb 28, 2008 03:13PM) (new)

Alexandra Richard - it can be hard to find books that really grab your interest, those books you feel are great. Especially when you aren't a reader by nature.

My "to-read" list is pretty long, so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to read your book, but I have it on my list :)

This group is pretty slow (unfortunately), you might also check out the Young Adult Fiction! and Best Teen Books groups. There's also the New Juvenille Fiction Authors Seeking Feedback group, I'm in that one too, but it's also fairly slow.

Joey - Hi! I don't know of any boys your age on Goodreads, although there probably are some. But we may be able to suggest books you might like. What kind of books do you like? What have you already read and enjoyed? That'll help us know what books you might like, and at what level you can read by yourself.

There's also the Children's Books group, a few more people post there.

message 6: by Alec (new)

Alec | 1 comments hi Joey

im 11 but there isn't much difference. I like to read too. what books do you like to read? I like to read Harry Potter books.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Kirsch (rakirsch) | 4 comments Alec,

Thanks for looking in. I'm really pleased to hear that you like to read. That isn't true of a lot of people these days. If you have a chance, check out my website at: http://www.bicycle-tales.com. I'd like to know what you think of my ideas regarding sci-fi/fantasy, using real life experiences and some kernel of history. I'm currently writing the fifth in this group of stories but have not yet gotten the second one published. I hope to have it out in the fall --- closer to Christmas.

Richard

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5 comments Hi! I'm 11, too. I LOVE READING! It's great. I like fantasy books most.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Kirsch (rakirsch) | 4 comments HI Victor,

Good that you posted. I happy to meet you. I am currently writing my third fantasy book. The first is in print called, Pine Woods. The second is currently at the beginning stages of publication. It is called "The Big One (A Bicycle Tale)". The one I'm currently working on right now is "Snow Fort". I happen to really like fantasy with just enough reality in it to make it possibly real. Hope to hear back from someone here.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5 comments Cool!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Callahan, it's good to hear that you love reading so much. I can't believe there are people out there who don't like reading. In fact, I find it disturbing when people don't have books in their homes.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ard (lisaa) | 1 comments Hi Tom, Callahan and others,
I'm expecting my first book out shortly (In Pursuit of Dreams) in the fantasy series Dream Seeker Adventures. Video games, outerspace adventures, baseball, best friends -- it's all in there and it is such a 'boy' book.
Check out the book back cover text at:
www.dreamseekeradventures.com

I'll be adding illustrations, book cover design, games, activities, etc. in the coming weeks.

Send me a message on the site - I'd love to hear what you think...Thanks!
Lisa Ard
Author of 'In Pursuit of a Dream'
Dream Seeker Adventures from Puddletown Publishing Group
www.dreamseekeradventures.com

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Granger | 1 comments Hi everyone,

I recently published the first two books in my action adventure series for middle grade and teen readers. I will be happy to send free ebook versions of both books to anyone in this groups who contacts me.

The titles are Anabar's Run and Anabar Rises
It is the story of a young man who leaves home to join a secretive band of fighters called the Scouts.

I also have a website where I have maps, photos, journals, and other things you can't get in the books. https://sites.google.com/site/anabars...

Let me know if you would like free copies of my books.

Thanks,

Will Granger