The Riyria Revelations discussion

Fans

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
I just scrolled to the bottom of my profile page here on Goodread. I think it is the first time I ever did that and I discovered I have 19 fans! Imagine my surprise! I've never had fans before.

Thanks Jennifer, Jane, Xiever, Kathy, Kristi, Uniquely, Laurel, Fiona, Jeanne, Henry, Andrea, Joseph-Daniel, Chris, Stephanie, Sandi, Jon, Heather, and of course Dee and Robin.

Now I have 19 more reason to keep writing.

message 2: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 4 comments Oh, I must join your fan list!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I'm not a fan? Thought I was...

I wasn't. Oh well, never too late. I am now.

Even 20 & climbing...

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 56 comments I became a fan yesterday. :P

message 5: by Michael (new)

Keep this up and you might make me the first independent fantasy author to break the New York Times Best Seller's list.

Well, I can dream can't I?

Seriously though, thanks, you have no idea how much your comments mean.

Michael

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 56 comments I think you would have more fans if people actually realized how to make you a fan on GR. Many folks just know kind of how to post and haven't explored the other features of the web site. :) I have heard nothing but good things about your books from others on GR.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Michael wrote: "Keep this up and you might make me the first independent fantasy author to break the New York Times Best Seller's list.

Well, I can dream can't I?

Yes, you can dream. that would be pretty darn cool! :-)

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 23 comments Hey Michael,

Just dropped in to see what condition your condition was in ;]

It was a pleasure adding your name to my very select fan list.

Ahh, and to think...I knew him when ;]

message 9: by Michael (new)

Thanks Dee.

BTW fan list is up to 31 now!

I get too many more and we'll have to elect a fan club president or something :p

message 10: by Libby (new)

Libby | 30 comments Michael - just wanted to let you know that your fan base is growing. I passed my Crown Conspiracy onto my sister who is not a traditional fantasy fan and she loved it. She can't wait to read Avempartha next - so add another number to your fan base.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Wonderful Libby!

I have noticed that people who have never read, or even don't like fantasy, really tend to like my books more than those who are avid fans of the genre (And they like it for the very same reasons the avid fantasy fans don't.) I wonder if this is due to a certain built-in expectation created by a generation of similar novels.

Hummm, maybe I should start a pyramid scheme like they did with Amway and offer rewards to the people who indoctrinate the most number of new readers.

If you get ten people to read the books, and they each get ten people...the first person to chain out a thousand people should get something special. A poster? A t-shirt? A dedication? Maybe name a character in the book after them?

This is viral guerrilla marketing people!

Ok, ok...I'll get back to writing now, don't break my legs.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Oooh, Ooooh! I want a dedication AND a character named after me ...

;-)

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 23 comments I can see "Heather" as a name in one of Michael's books. It would fit in perfectly to the storyline :]

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments LOL

message 15: by Libby (new)

Libby | 30 comments You can add another fan - my mom recently had back surgery and is stuck in bed recovering. She is very active and quite annoyed at having to take it easy. She called me last night to ask if I had given her the book she recently started – The Crown Conspriacy. She was really enjoying it. For the record, my mom is a retired educator and art teacher. She was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the book and amazed that the artwork was the authors. In particular, she loved that the book was well-written and entertaining but maintained a lighter tone; just a pleasure to read. I’m sure she’ll recommend the book to her friends and hopefully it may make its way into some school libraries. I think that one very positive aspect of TCC is that it is appropriate for younger readers as well as adults in that its content is PG to PG-13. With so many novels having explicit violence or sexual content, I’m pleased that TCC has maintained a broader reading audience by excluding these elements.

message 16: by Michael (new)

That is wonderful news Libby, and thank you for both passing the book on and for reporting this. Sometimes I live on breadcrumbs and this was reassuring to hear.

You may be pleased to learn that while the rest of the series does grow several shades darker in tone and situation--as I am certain you already noticed from Avempartha--I believe it retains its PG-13 status throughout. This was never by design, it is merely where the story went. In some instances later on I tried to push the intensity of some scenes pursuing a level of frightening realism on par with any of the grisly cop shows on prime time, but alas the story rejected it. It never felt right. Events and character's responses always settle like water to the proper place if I let them, and they did.

Once more, thanks for cheering me up. One of these days someone is going to read TCC and rather than say it was surprisingly good, they will remark that it failed to live up to all the hype. I suppose it will be then that I can relax and believe that I succeeded.

message 17: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannekc) | 36 comments Well, in my case I think it's more addict than fan ;-)

message 18: by Adam (new)

Adam Franklin | 8 comments I'm a fan!! I guess things have grown since this post because Michael mentioned 19 people and I think I was number 92 or 93 ;-)

message 19: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 12 comments I became a fan after reading Avempartha (which I read fist). I know that I have been pushing the series on my fantasy book friends and so far three of them have started it. :) Mt two brother in-laws will be next. I will hopefully be seeing them next weekend (I live in Canada and they are in the US).

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Hee hee! I push this book on people I know who like fantasy, too! :-)

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 268 comments Mod
Wow - I had no idea it had grown that high ...Thansk all

message 22: by Michael (new)

Woot!

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 268 comments Mod
wow I just saw the list has grown to over 170!! That's really amazing - thanks all of you who "fanned" him.

message 24: by Mattie (last edited Jun 15, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

Mattie | 24 comments Of course I'm a fan of yours! The Riyria Revelations series is one of the best ever. Before, all I had to read was Harry Potter because it was the only series that kept me hooked. Then I discovered these books, and now they are all I think about. So Michael, thank you very much.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Wel thank you Legolas - I really appreciate such high praise. Harry Potter was a big influence on me as I had rediscovered how "fun" a series can be.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber Ivers (mohawkguy28) | 33 comments Proud Book Nerd wrote: "Hee hee! I push this book on people I know who like fantasy, too! :-)"

I do this too. Also to all my kid' friends, I got my Mom to read, and whenever I am on a site that asks me to name a book that I love to read!

message 27: by Michael (new)

And It is very appreciated - so thank you...it is only this kind of grass roots "word-of-mouth" publicity that will get the books "on the map. If the books are ever "really successful" it will have more to do with the readers than my writing.

message 28: by Mattie (last edited May 05, 2012 12:43PM) (new)

Mattie | 24 comments I'm going to try to get my brothers and sisters to read this. Since we are homeschooled, we always see exactly what the other person is reading, and so they have obviously seen that I've read this; though only a couple of them have asked about them, I'm sure I could spark their interest. My dad even looked over the first book I had on me just because the cover caught his eye!

message 29: by Michael (new)

Nice - thanks Legolas.