Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Has anyone seen this movie? I read the book about a year ago and it was incredible. I'm hoping to re-read it tonight, as the movie opens in my city tomorrow. If anyone has seen it, and also read the book, what is your opinion?

message 2: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 2 comments Hi Karen. I am planning to see The Diving Bell this week and to revisit the book as well. The story is amazing and I will be interested to see how it comes across on screen. I wonder if a narrator will verbalize the protagonist's thoughts.

I have to run out and buy another copy of the book. I loaned the book to a friend several years ago and after he read it he gave it to a friend who had suffered a severe stroke. After his friend read the book it was passed around the rehab center to other patients. Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to ask for it back:)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

hi, ladies.

i saw the diving bell last week and it was amazing. i have not yet had the pleasure of reading the book, but i hope to very soon. the movie didn't make me cry as i had originally thought it would, but it was extremely poignant and shook my very core. educational and moving, i would recommend seeing this movie immediately. in addition to the story, the acting was superb.

message 4: by Karen (last edited Jan 13, 2008 08:07PM) (new)

Karen Sara, you're so right! I expected to cry through the movie (it's been a rough week!) but it was the opposite; it showed how much we all need to appreciate what we have and how precioius life is. I know, that sounds so Pollyanna, but it's true. The book was one of my favorites and the movie didn't disappoint me. And yes, the acting was incredible. When the father was talking to Jean Dominique in the hospital, you could have heard a pin drop in the theater. I recommend this movie, especially for anyone who read the book and enjoyed it.