Every one's Choice discussion

Everything Else > Good reads for long flights?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 339 comments Here's the deal - I have a zillion books that I own and/or need to read. I also have an upcoming long flight (US to The Netherlands) and need to figure out what to read. The basic requirements are:
-Needs to be paperback (unless hubby buys me a kindle or eReader!)
-Needs to be easy to put down and pick back up at a moments notice as I have two young children. I have no idea if I'll actually be able to read them on the fight because my son is only a year old, but I'd rather have the book and not be able to read it than have the time with no book at all.

What do you guys think of the following books:

The Princess Bride
Dracula
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Diary of Lady Murasaki

Hmmm... I guess I need to say not feel restricted by what the books that I listed - as long as I can get the book in paperback (or hopefully an e-version!), we're good to go.

I just need recommendations! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought Dracula was hard to follow at times. But that could have been just me.

message 3: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I read none of those so I won't be of any help BUT I did read The Historian when I went on a 5 hours flight. I might not have had a long enough flight like you, BUT it is a large read and I thought it was great!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You finished that in 5 hours?! It took me forever it seemed like! But I did like it.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 339 comments Jeremy wrote: "You finished that in 5 hours?! It took me forever it seemed like! But I did like it."

Ohhh! My last flight is when I started that book!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 339 comments Ohh! It's not paperback, but I have the Hitchhikers Guide (the 5 books in 1) in leather bound. It's surprisingly light for it's size. I've never read it, but want to! Would anyone recommend that as a good airplane read?

message 7: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I didn't finish it in 5 hours NO way!!! I attempted to read it on the 5 hours flight. It took me a few days!

message 8: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) The 5 books in 1 Hitchhikers Guide is fabulous but you definitely won't manage to finish the whole thing on the plane. The books are pretty easy to read in that kind of stint, if you read them separately... just not all in one.

I also found that I like to take a break after reading each of the books as the style gets a bit stifling if you read them all in one go...