Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

September/October 2008 > The Garden of Last Days - Andre Dubus III

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ahh, Andre Dubus. I read your "House of Sand and Fog" and loved the first half only to be horribly disappointed by the second part of the book. I know critics and readers raved about it, but I did not understand all of the attention received. Now, I have listened to 12 CDs of "The Garden of Last Days" only to feel the same way. Some parts of the book were horrifying (the nonchalance combined with dedication of the 9/11 terrorists in the days leading to the horrific event) and some were completely uninteresting (the story about AJ). I was surprised I liked the main character, who was a stripper looking for her missing daughter. If this is on your reading list and you LOVED House of Sand and Fog, I would go for something else. It wasn't a total waste of time, but this author constantly builds my hopes and loses me. I think many critics said this book wasn't as good as his debut novel, and Stephanie says skip it!

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments I have it on my swap list, so will probably get it and read it at some point. I did love the entirety of House of Sand and Fog. Based on your review, I won't make it as much of a priority on the TBR list.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments I just recently finished this. I was hoping for more because I did like House of Sand and Fog, but this was just okay. I think the author has spent a little time in strip clubs! I think the strength is in the characterization of the stripper, and I thought the mental processes of the 'kidnapper' were spot on. It really all made sense to him. Other than that, I can't really endorse it.