fiction files redux discussion

Lush Life

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

For those of y'all addicted to drunken writers.

Excerpt: "Throughout my early 30s, my reading addiction began to conspire against me. I found myself working behind the bar at Elaine’s and there I came face-to-face with my demon. For almost 50 years Elaine Kaufman has attracted writers to her restaurant as though she were giving away royalty checks. And though not all of them turned me on, there were a few who, when they walked through the door, had me jonesing like a street junkie. Late one night Hunter S. Thompson sat by himself at a back table lighting shots of Bacardi 151 rum with his Zippo and firing them down the hatch. I don’t remember how many flaming shots he drank — but I do remember the last one. Something had gone horribly wrong with his technique. When I looked back at him he was on fire. Only the quick thinking of Carlo the waiter, who snatched a nearby tablecloth and used it to smother the blue flames, saved Dr. Thompson from escalating into a three-alarm blaze."

Under the Literary Influence

message 2: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
that happened to one of my roommates in college, doing statue of liberty shots. he damn near burned his arm off. then he quit drinking and became boring.

message 3: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 17, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
Ben wrote: "that happened to one of my roommates in college, doing statue of liberty shots. he damn near burned his arm off. then he quit drinking and became boring."

did he talk about jute all the time?

adrian: thanks for posting this. i'm obviously a fan of the drunken writers though not drunks in general. what's great about this is all the comments below from other people suggesting other drunks. i don't know if i'll bother with all this recovered alcoholic fiction though. sounds terrible dry to me. :P

message 4: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
no, different one. the jute talker was more of a stoner.

message 5: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . . i fell asleep with a beer in my hand last night and spilled it all over my cozies . . .but at least i wasn't on fire . . . thanks for another great link, linkmaster . . .

message 6: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 269 comments Mod
I remembered my doctor from high school telling about Kurt Vonnegut doing a lecture about the pressures of budding writers to emulate famous alcoholic writers by trying to drink like them, shot for shot, pint after pint, and trying to become alcoholics themselves. I would have thought they might actually sit down and write a single word THEN drink after feeling bad about failing to measure up to their talented idols.