The Lost King (The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam, #1) The Lost King discussion

Is It a Fantasy?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devorah (last edited Feb 04, 2013 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Devorah Fox Readers tell me that they can relate to the very real, modern problems that King Bewilliam and Empress Alexandra face: career displacement, the challenge of widowhood. So is The Lost King a fantasy, or something else? When you seek out a fantasy novel to read, what are you looking for that's different from other genres?

message 2: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha LaFantasie When I pick up a novel to read that is fantasy, I expect it to take me within it's world. I want it different than the real world and I want magic, mythological creatures, or anything else that came come with it. The fact that your story has very real-world problems just makes the story relateable. It makes your characters feel real, which is also something I have to have. :) That's a really good question, Devorah!

Alesha Escobar When I read fantasy, I'm looking for the weaving of magic and the "fantastic" into the story. The characters feeling real is a bonus! We want to relate to them :)

Devorah Fox What would you say that magic and mythical creatures bring to a fantasy story that's missing from other types of tales? (I'm thinking the answer might explain why I chose to set the story in a fantasy time and place.)

Alesha Escobar I think it brings the possibility of drastic power and/or change, which is something we yearn for in real life.

message 6: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha LaFantasie It's the idea of possibility for me. If things like that can exist in our minds and come to life on paper, there is that hope and possibility that if we can dream it, it can happen. And that, to me, is such a big concept.
I feel like I missed my point here, so if I did, please let me know. :)

Devorah Fox Yes, I think that's why I chose to set the story in a fantasy time and place.

Francene Stanley To me, fantasy should contain some element that wouldn't happen in real life and though it could be set in the present time. Like The Time Machine.

message 9: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Robert For me I look for something different. Unusual. I can't really put a finger on what unless I read a book. When I feel it I'll be like 'Oh yes, it has that 'it' :)

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lost King (other topics)