Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Magicians (The Magicians #1)
This topic is about The Magicians
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Grossman, Lev - The Magicians - Start Date: March 2nd, 2013

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Mod Account (last edited Mar 12, 2013 01:52AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 22501 comments descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

This topic is open for discussion of The Magicians. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
Quentin Coldwater is brillant but miserable. He's a senior in high school, and a certifiable genius, but he's still secretly obsessed with a series of fantasy novels he read as a kid, about the adventures of five children in a magical land called Fillory. Compared to that, anything in his real life just seems gray and colorless.

Everything changes when Quentin finds himself unexpectedly admitted to a very secret, very exclusive college of magic in upstate New York, where he receives a thorough and rigorous education in the practice of modern sorcery. He also discovers all the other things people learn in college: friendship, love, sex, booze, and boredom. But something is still missing. Magic doesn't bring Quentin the happiness and adventure he though it would.

Then, after graduation, he and his friends make a stunning discovery: Fillory is real.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapter Pages

March 2 Brooklyn-Magic 1-58
March 3 Snow-The Beast 59-116
March 4 Lovelady- Alice 117-183
March 5 Emily Greenstreet-Manhattan 184-239
March 6 Penny's Story-Fillory 240-301
March 7 Humbledrum -Ember's Tomb 302-343
March 8 The Ram- End 344-402

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Mod Account (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 22501 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz (shadoedove) | 17 comments This is sitting on my 'DID NOT FINISH' shelf simply because it WAS that boring.

✿Claire✿ (Tiny Owl) (clairelm) | 1219 comments If I can get hold of it, I'd love to join in :)

message 5: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments That makes me sad Liz. I'm hoping it's not that bad.

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz (shadoedove) | 17 comments the premise was good, which is why I bought it. But the writing was so convoluted and confusing it was just a headache to try to follow the storyline. Once you have uncoiled the whole mess, you realize it is going nowhere but downhill. I might, in a decade or so, go back and try to finish this book but I really think it would be a waste of my time.

message 7: by Kaitlin (new) - added it

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments I would be up for this one, depending when in the month you guys are planning on reading it.

I really hated Codex by the same author, but hopefully this one isn't as bad as Liz says :-)

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments This one is being read starting March 2nd

Cathie (Catitude) | 997 comments I have the book from the library and will give it a try with you all

message 10: by Lára (new) - added it

Lára  Arnarsdóttir I´m in.
It always makes me super curious when people say it´s boring. It doesn´t have too many positive reviews either, so I´m even more curious.

message 11: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (Janedee) | 322 comments I've had this on my to read list for a while. Hoping I have time to join in.

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Mod Account (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 22501 comments The Chapter breakdown is now posted at the top of the thread.

message 13: by Cathie (last edited Feb 26, 2013 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathie (Catitude) | 997 comments Sorry, I don't have my book right next to me; are there chapter #s or just titles of each section? (I'm trying to put it into my spreadsheet of March reads)

message 14: by Laura (last edited Feb 26, 2013 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments There are no #'s just the titles.

We seem to be picking a lot of these for BOMs lately :)

message 15: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 13 comments I'm in. A friend recommended this to me, and this is a great motivation. :)

message 16: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Some stuff to look at as you're starting your reading:

Lev Grossman reads a passage from the book (from chapter 1): Video Here

Someone created a website for fictional author Christopher Plover, author of the Fillory and Further Series: ChristopherPlover.com

"The artist Roland Chambers has prepared this map of Fillory, showing the country’s major landmarks:"

(taken from levgrossman.com)

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments Thanks for posting these, Jex!

message 18: by Cathie (last edited Feb 28, 2013 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathie (Catitude) | 997 comments Thank you Jex! :-) Very awesome!

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim I was able to check this one out as an ebook from my library.

message 20: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 13 comments I live when people make websites for fictional characters. Thanks for sharing.

message 21: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Jex's Questions for Chapter Brooklyn - Magic

Brookyn
1) A dead body! Do you think we'll see the strange attractive doctor that gave Quentin the envelope again? She was mentioned later as some sort of recruiter-ish person for the school.

2) What did you expect to be in the envelope? Do you think Quentin will ever see the book that was in there again?

Brakebill
3)Do you think James would have taken the exam had he taken his envelope? Was that part of the test?

4)Bam! Quentin can do magic! Surprised? He had an awful lot of control for his first time. Is he that good? Or was it purely emotional?

Eliot
5) Quentin seems to have bonded with Eliot (well at least from his side). Do you think he's intimidated by him or simply looks up to him? or something completely different?

I didn't know what a scull boat was, so I looked it up. Here's a picture:

Magic
In case you wanted to attend Brakebill, here is the website: Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy
and the School Crest:

6)Do you think a lot of the students came to school knowing magic like Alice? Or that more are in the same boat as Quentin, completely lost?

7) What do you think is the purpose of the perfectly arranged squares that Quentin found?

General Questions
8) Are you hooked yet? Do you like the book style? the characters? etc?

9) Any crazy predictions yet?

Cathie (Catitude) | 997 comments Brookyn
1) I thought the paramedic was really rude in regards to her response as to Elliot's feelings over the dead professor.

2) I didn't know what to expect to be in the envelope.

Brakebill
3)Do you think James would have taken the exam had he taken his envelope? No.

The way they were introduced to the exam process reminded me a lot of The Mysterious Benedict Society, only better told, and for an older reading audience.

4)Bam! Quentin can do magic! Surprised? Yes.

Eliot
5) Quentin seems to have bonded with Eliot (well at least from his side). I think he looks up to him and needs someone to feel as a friend. I love Eliot's response to counteracting the dangers of smoking, lol.

Magic
Very cool that there is a website set up for Brakebills College. Like someone else said, I'm always impressed when a writer expands on the information in his novel and gives readers extras.

General Questions
8) I am definitely hooked I like the book style and the characters.

I got this book from the library but I already know that I want this one to sit on my shelf! Quentin sort of reminds me of a modern day Kvothe from The Name of the Wind

9) No crazy predictions yet.

message 23: by Lára (new) - added it

Lára  Arnarsdóttir I´ll pass this one, after all. I tried and couldn´t concentrate at all. I did read one book today so I guess it´s just this book that I have problem with.

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments Laura's Answers to Jex's Questions Brooklyn - Magic

Brooklyn

#1- I instantly thought the paramedic had planted the envelopes with their names on it. It looks like I may have been right. I am not sure if we will see her again, but I think it would be interesting if she popped back up in a later chapter.

#2- I didn't really have any expectations for what was inside the envelope, but I definitely didn't think it would be a book about Fillory. I am thinking that Quentin is going to see the book again and it is going to come into play later in the series.

Brakebill
#3- James doesn't strike me as the type of person to even be interested in magic. I don't think he would have taken the test or even believed in it for that matter. I think that it was a part of some test though, maybe more for Quentin than for James.

#4- I wasn't surprised by his ability to do magic. I figured it would be part of the story line. I do think that it was more his emotions than his actual ability that made his first showing so good.

Eliot
#5- I think that Eliot is so much of a mystery that it intrigues Quentin. I also think that Quentin wants to be apart of something so bad that he is trying to find anyone to connect with.

Magic
#6- I don't think that all of the students came to school knowing magic. I assume that a lot of their experiences are more like Quentin's. I think the truly gifted ones are the ones that are more like Alice, knowing about magic before they came.

#7- I can't remember these perfectly arranged squares. I will have to go back and reread.

#8 - I wasn't hooked until I started the second section of reading. I was really bored throughout the first sections. I do like the characters now and I am beginning to like the book style a bit too.

#9- I don't really know what to think about the future of the book. I am not sure what will happen.

Nancy | 511 comments Jex's Questions for Chapter Brooklyn - Magic

Brookyn
1) A dead body! Do you think we'll see the strange attractive doctor that gave Quentin the envelope again? She was mentioned later as some sort of recruiter-ish person for the school.

I think so....they mentioned something of her being an independent contractor type.

2) What did you expect to be in the envelope? Do you think Quentin will ever see the book that was in there again?

I wasn't sure....some recommendation letters or something?!! LOL. Yes, I think Quentin will see the book.

Brakebill
3)Do you think James would have taken the exam had he taken his envelope? Was that part of the test?

Hmm, good question. Maybe....since Quentin thought he saw someone who looks like Julia at the test. But then again, James and Julia weren't into magic like Quentin was, so maybe not.

4)Bam! Quentin can do magic! Surprised? He had an awful lot of control for his first time. Is he that good? Or was it purely emotional?

I think at this point it was emotional.

Eliot
5) Quentin seems to have bonded with Eliot (well at least from his side). Do you think he's intimidated by him or simply looks up to him? or something completely different?

I think he looks up to him but now that the other kids are back he's being ignored by him. So wondering if their friendship is going to go any further.

6)Do you think a lot of the students came to school knowing magic like Alice? Or that more are in the same boat as Quentin, completely lost?

I think most of the students came like Quentin and were completely lost, found by one of the recruiters and taught the craft.

7) What do you think is the purpose of the perfectly arranged squares that Quentin found?

Not sure!

General Questions
8) Are you hooked yet? Do you like the book style? the characters? etc?

Yes, I'm definitely interested in what's going to happen next.

9) Any crazy predictions yet?

None yet.....

message 26: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments @Cathie:

1 - she was very abrupt.

3 - I've never read that one. I'll have to look into it.

8 - I'm glad you're hooked! I got a Name of the Wind vibe too, but we'll see how it goes.

message 27: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments @Lára - Sorry you couldn't get into it. Sounds like a lot of people have had that problem with this one. I guess it's just not for everyone.

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments Its interesting that you two got that vibe. I didn't get that at all. I kind of felt this book was a bit more dry witted.

I am now officially hooked, though and I am glad since I thought I wasn't going to like it very much.

message 29: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments @Laura:

1 - I think you're right about her planting the envelopes.

3 - Good point about James. I wonder if there was more to the envelope then just taking it. Some magical test of finding the entrance?

7 - The squares were mentioned at the end of the chapter. They caught my eye.

message 30: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments @Nancy -

3 - I wonder how many of the other students were "into magic" before taking the test. Maybe liking/knowing magic is the key to passing but maybe not the key to getting an invite?

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments Questions for Snow- The Beast

Snow
10. Wow! Quentin, Penny, and Alice get to skip half of their first year! Does it seem odd that Quentin is getting to move up even though he seems to be having all of these problems with magic?

11. So Eliot is homosexual and plays games with his "lovers". So creepy. Surprised? I know I was. What did you think of Quentin's reaction?

12. Alice didn't get invited to Brakebills. What did you think of her story? Any predictions on what happened to her brother? Do you think we will find out?

The Missing Boy
13.What did you think of Welters? It reminded me a bit of Alice and Wonderland for some reason.

14. Penny went a bit crazy. Were you shocked? Do you think we will see any more of Penny after this?

15. We meet the paramedic again. Do you think she took the book? Do you think she is an important part of the story?

The Physical Kids
16. The Physical Kids are interesting. Do you have one of them that you would like to see more of? What did you think of the way they had to get into the Cottage? Which discipline would you want to have?

The Beast
17. The Beast was interesting. What did you think of the fact that none of the teachers could do anything about the beast? It must have been really powerful.

18. Amanda Orloff died. I was shocked when I read this at the end of the chapter. Do you think this is going to become a part of the story? How will this affect Quentin?

message 33: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 30 comments This book has been on my tbr shelf for over a year, I really hope to be able to get it read this month.

message 34: by Cathie (last edited Mar 03, 2013 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathie (Catitude) | 997 comments Questions for Snow- The Beast

Snow
So Eliot is homosexual and plays games with his "lovers". So creepy. Surprised? I know I was.
~ I thought it was another interesting dimension to Eliot's character. I didn't find it creepy; gave his character another level of depth.

12. Alice didn't get invited to Brakebills. What did you think of her story? Any predictions on what happened to her brother? Do you think we will find out?
~ I was very saddened to read her story; I think it is why she is so determined.

The Missing Boy
13.What did you think of Welters? It reminded me a bit of Alice and Wonderland for some reason.
~ Yeah, me too, a bit.

14. Penny went a bit crazy. Were you shocked? Do you think we will see any more of Penny after this?
~ Penny is whacko!! I love all the twists and turns Grossman has added to the characters!

The Physical Kids
~ This part very much again reminded me of "The Mysterious Benedict Society". Maybe that's why I like this book so much.

The Beast
17. The Beast was interesting. What did you think of the fact that none of the teachers could do anything about the beast? It must have been really powerful. ~ It's funny, but I never would have pictured a "Beast" this way...when I think of a "beast" I think of trampling, loud, mass carnage quickly. This "beast" does damage slowly, methodically and it doesn't appear he looks beastly at first noticing, but only after you have your time taken from you to sit and watch him. Hmmm, a whole different concept of beast. Like I said before, I like Grossman's character building.

18. Amanda Orloff died. I was shocked when I read this at the end of the chapter.
~ Totally not expecting this!! What a place to end the reading!

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments @ Cathie

I guess creepy isn't the right word. I was thrown off a bit by his roleplaying. I think the scene itself was what creeped me out. It sounded like something out of a psychotic serial killer movie to me.

Nancy | 511 comments Questions for Snow- The Beast

Snow
10. Wow! Quentin, Penny, and Alice get to skip half of their first year! Does it seem odd that Quentin is getting to move up even though he seems to be having all of these problems with magic?

Yes, that surprised me a bit because Quentin seemed to be having difficulty. Alice I could understand.

11. So Eliot is homosexual and plays games with his "lovers". So creepy. Surprised? I know I was. What did you think of Quentin's reaction?

I was surprised! I agree with Cathie that it adds depth to his character.

Her story made me kind of sad. Not sure what happened to the brother....something at the school. I think we'll find out though.

The Missing Boy

Yeah, definitely an interesting game. How did everyone else know about it though and not Quentin?!!

I think we'll see him. He wasn't expelled or anything and after they talked it out Quentin and him seemed okay.

15. We meet the paramedic again. Do you think she took the book? Do you think she is an important part of the story?

Not sure. She didn't seem surprised that he didn't have the book anymore. Yes, I think she'll be important to the story.

The Physical Kids
16. The Physical Kids are interesting. Do you have one of them that you would like to see more of? What did you think of the way they had to get into the Cottage? Which discipline would you want to have?

I think that they're all kind of interesting and want to learn more about them all. It was kind of cool that they had to find a way to get in. I'm glad Quentin and Alice didn't give up and figured it out. I think I'd probably best fit in knowledge although the physical discipline sounds pretty cool!

The Beast
17. The Beast was interesting. What did you think of the fact that none of the teachers could do anything about the beast? It must have been really powerful.

Yeah, it's pretty scary that everyone's powerless.

18. Amanda Orloff died. I was shocked when I read this at the end of the chapter. Do you think this is going to become a part of the story? How will this affect Quentin?

Definitely a cliff hanger of a way to end the chapter! I think Quentin is going to feel really guilty.

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments @ Nancy

#13- I thought the same thing. Was Quentin hiding under a rock?

#16- I think I was most interested in Janet. I agree though about learning more about all of them. I think I would fit in with the psychics, not because I believe in that kind of stuff but I love psychology and the mind. It ingtrigues me. Knowledge would be cool as well.

message 38: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Questions for Snow- The Beast

Snow
My guess is that he's doing a lot better then it seems. Also, the first year sounds like it's a lot more studying then actual practice of magic and he must be just whizzing through all of it. He seems special in a lot of ways.

11. So Eliot is homosexual and plays games with his "lovers". Surprised? I know I was. What did you think of Quentin's reaction?
I don't know if surprised is the word I would use. I hadn't really thought about his love life so him being gay doesn't really affect the situation. I thought it was interesting that Quentin wondered why Eliot hadn't tried anything with him, which makes me think that maybe Quentin has a secret longing for Eliot that is more then just a friendship. Maybe that explains his obsession with boobs...over compensating?

I have a feeling the brother will come back into the story late one in some big mysterious way, especially after hearing the fillory story of the missing boy. There has to be a purpose to bringing all of this up other then Alice is awesome at magic and magic runs in the family.

The Missing Boy
Sounds interesting. I was hoping the squares were something a bit cooler when they were brought up earlier. I also didn't get the rules much. Sounds like some extreme version of chess and I've never been good with chess.

Penny always struck me as a tad crazy. With all the study drugs he was taking it doesn't surprise me that he lashed out after failing. I was thinking one of them was going to end up using magic by accident and really hurting the other though.

I think whoever she is working for/with took the book back and in time Quentin will find it again. I think Quentin has a mission that only he can go on due to his special ability (the discipline yet to be revealed) but first he has to be trained before he's ready to perform the task. When he's ready the paramedic will be back with the book to help him start the journey. That's my prediction.

The Physical Kids
I hope they don't have to do that every time they want to get in. That would get tedious. I also wonder how Quentin was supposed to get in if he wasn't with Alice since he's not technically a physical kid. I don't know exactly what the different disciplines do, but maybe knowledge because I like to know things.

The Beast
It sounds almost as if it comes from another dimension, as if the beast that was visible is nothing more then a finger of the actual beast, a small portion of the whole. Scary stuff.

Definitely a crazy stopping point! I wonder how she broke free in the first place to where she could start doing magic. Maybe she was the one that the beast was looking for? Or maybe the beast thought she was because she broke free?

message 39: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments @Nancy - #13 I ask myself that about Quentin about a lot of things. I almost feel like these kids got an orientation class that Quentin missed out on, or a recruitment packet he missed. They seem to know a lot more stuff and he just seems to stumble upon thing after thing.

message 40: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (Janedee) | 322 comments I went to start reading this book on my reader this weekend and realized I have the 2nd book in the series - The Magician King! Off to see if I can get the first one from the library.

message 41: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Oh no! I hope you can get the book and join us! At least you're set to read the 2nd when you're done ☺

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments Laura's Questions for Lovelady-Alice

19. Josh kind of goes a bit loopy. First with the black hole and then after his meeting with Lovelady. Do you think Brakebills is that difficult or do you think it is just the type of kid that gets accepted there. Most geniuses are a bit different.

20. What did you think of Lovelady? He seems awfully sinister. Do you think he tries to bully kids into buying from him? Is he more than just a peddler?

21. So the fourth years go on a quest to the Antartic. What did you think of them turning into geese? Do you think you would have enjoyed being a bird? What did you think of Professor Mayakovsky?

22. The whole artic fox scene was interesting. Do you think that the professor knew what was going to happen? What do you think the point of them changing into all of these different animals is?

23. Their exam is a journey to the south pole on foot 500 plus miles long!! Would you have done it? Do you think that their journey makes them the only two that truly learned the lesson they were to learn at Brakebills South?

24. So Julia really was at the Brakebills entrance exam! Were you surprised? I felt very sorry for her. Do you think we will see her again? Would you go and talk to Dean Fogg or just pretend it never happened and hope it went away?

25. Alice and Quentin are an item now. Do you think they will stay that way? Does he truly love her? Thoughts?

26. Yet another thing that Quentin seems to be in the dark about. What did you think of dragons being added into the story? Do you think we will meet one later on?

Cathie (Catitude) | 997 comments So the fourth years go on a quest to the Antartic. What did you think of them turning into geese? Do you think you would have enjoyed being a bird? What did you think of Professor Mayakovsky?

At first I thought, oh gawd, you got to be kidding me. I almost threw down the book right there. But as I read on I thought wow, that's kinda kool. I just wished it had been introduced in a different way (but I don't know how and it does lead into the next question.).

I thought Professor Mayakovsky was quite strict but sincere in his wanting them to learn and not just goof around with magic.

22. The whole artic fox scene was interesting. Do you think that the professor knew what was going to happen? What do you think the point of them changing into all of these different animals is?

Well the Artic Fox scene sure did have it's learning points for Quentin didn't it, lol.

23. Their exam is a journey to the south pole on foot 500 plus miles long!! Would you have done it?

I want to say yes, yes I would have done it because that's the sort of gal I am, ... but in reality, no, I probably wouldn't have done it...in reality I'm too much of a couch potato

24. So Julia really was at the Brakebills entrance exam! Were you surprised? I felt very sorry for her. Do you think we will see her again? Would you go and talk to Dean Fogg or just pretend it never happened and hope it went away?

I felt sorry for them both and probably would have tried to pretend like it didn't happen and that everything was ok

What did you think of dragons being added into the story?

Ohhhhh, i loves dragons :-)

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments @ Cathie

I had the same reaction about the geese at first, but Grossman's description won me over.

I laughed at your Arctic fox question response!

Nancy | 511 comments Laura's Questions for Lovelady-Alice

19. Josh kind of goes a bit loopy. First with the black hole and then after his meeting with Lovelady. Do you think Brakebills is that difficult or do you think it is just the type of kid that gets accepted there. Most geniuses are a bit different.

I think not all of the kids are super smart, just have magic ability....possibly him being one of them. Just like children have different learning styles, these kids have different disciplines. So maybe he's just not booksmart. Maybe he will possibly do better at the new Brakebills since it's not all about memorizing, it's execution???

20. What did you think of Lovelady? He seems awfully sinister. Do you think he tries to bully kids into buying from him? Is he more than just a peddler?

Possibly. Maybe we'll be seeing more of him. But from what was described, it sounds like he's ripping kids off!

21. So the fourth years go on a quest to the Antartic. What did you think of them turning into geese? Do you think you would have enjoyed being a bird? What did you think of Professor Mayakovsky?

OMG, I had the same reaction as Cathie! I was ready to stop reading thinking this has seriously gotten really weird. After I kept reading on it did get better though.

Maybe to show them what their magic is capable of? The fox scene was definitely interesting....the kids definitely got primal!

23. Their exam is a journey to the south pole on foot 500 plus miles long!! Would you have done it? Do you think that their journey makes them the only two that truly learned the lesson they were to learn at Brakebills South?

It sounds daunting, but if I've been properly trained to survive then I might....I mean, I do love a good challenge!

I feel sorry for Julia too. It stinks that her memory wasn't erased and now she's pretty obsessed with Brakebill. I don't think I'd talk to Dean Fogg though because she was already tested. If they wanted her they would have chosen her when she took the the test. I guess I'd hope that it/she went away!

25. Alice and Quentin are an item now. Do you think they will stay that way? Does he truly love her? Thoughts?

It seemed pretty inevitable that the two would get together. I think they'll stay together and yes I think he really does love Alice. It just took him awhile to realize it.

26. Yet another thing that Quentin seems to be in the dark about. What did you think of dragons being added into the story? Do you think we will meet one later on?

Seriously?!!! Dragons, now??? I feel like this book keeps getting weirder and weirder and I'm not sure in a good way! Who knows if we'll meet a dragon? Probably at the rate it's going.

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments @ Nancy

#19- I am going to have to go back and read because I thought at the beginning of the book they talked about how all of the kids were the smartest from their schools. It made me think they were all highly intelligent.

#26- I agree, it seems like in an attempt to make a really interesting book, the author has just thrown in every kind of fantasy angle possible. I am not sure how I feel about that.

**I have heard that his book Codex is a fantastic book. I might try that one to see if it is just this book that I am not liking and not the style of writing.

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments I am sorry these are late getting up. I finished the reading and then had the hardest time coming up with questions for this section for some reason. I apologize if these questions are not so great.

Laura's Questions for Emily Greenstreet - Manhattan

27. Poor Emily Greenstreet and poor Alice! I never expected to find out the story of Alice's brother in this way. Do you think Jane knew about Alice's brother or do you think Alice is overreacting?

28. What did you think of Alice's parents? I don't know about you but I would love to be able to change the interior of my house all the time! Am I the only one that finds something wrong with Quentin and Alice's relationship?

29. The whole Daemon scene was just a bit much for me! Did anyone else feel like maybe this was not a good thing? The whole thing felt weird. Would you have thought it was cool or scary?

30. Dean Fogg thinks that all magicians are unhappy and that is what makes them magicians. It sure seems that way. Thoughts? Do you think they have a chance at being happy or do you think this book is going to have a sad, miserable ending?

31. So they all go to Manhattan. Do you think Quentin is going to snap out of his stupor anytime soon? Are you surprised that he hooked up with Janet? Is this the end of Alice and Quentin?

32. Any predictions on why Penny is so happy? What do you think his story is going to be?

Nancy | 511 comments Laura's Questions for Emily Greenstreet - Manhattan

27. Poor Emily Greenstreet and poor Alice! I never expected to find out the story of Alice's brother in this way. Do you think Jane knew about Alice's brother or do you think Alice is overreacting?

I didn't see Jane as a "mean" girl but the way Alice described what she was doing made her seem that way. I was surprised at how Alice's brother died and was not expecting that!

28. What did you think of Alice's parents? I don't know about you but I would love to be able to change the interior of my house all the time! Am I the only one that finds something wrong with Quentin and Alice's relationship?

Umm they're a bit weird!! I love the idea of being able to change your whole house to whatever you feel like! I was really rooting for the two of them, but don't seem them being together at the end.

29. The whole Daemon scene was just a bit much for me! Did anyone else feel like maybe this was not a good thing? The whole thing felt weird. Would you have thought it was cool or scary?

?? don't remember this scene off the top of my head....is this the tattoo scene?

30. Dean Fogg thinks that all magicians are unhappy and that is what makes them magicians. It sure seems that way. Thoughts? Do you think they have a chance at being happy or do you think this book is going to have a sad, miserable ending?

I hope it doesn't have a sad, miserable ending. I'm rooting for Quentin. All the other magicians seem sad and unhappy but I feel like Quentin became happy and alive when he got to Brakebill. Like Alice mentioned to him, he believes in the magic so I think he's different than the others.

31. So they all go to Manhattan. Do you think Quentin is going to snap out of his stupor anytime soon? Are you surprised that he hooked up with Janet? Is this the end of Alice and Quentin?

Very surprised that he hooked up with Janet. That's going to get him in trouble! Yes, think the end of Alice and Quentin is coming near. They were already becoming distant.....this might be the final straw.

32. Any predictions on why Penny is so happy? What do you think his story is going to be?

Something good must have happened.....have no idea though!

message 49: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (last edited Mar 07, 2013 07:18AM) (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7019 comments Sorry for being a day late guys, but real life was really demanding yesterday and I couldn't have this done before

Sonia's Questions for Penny's Story-Fillory

33)Penny drop out? That was a surprise. Not as big as knowing he actually felt lonely. And Lovelady found something of power. I don't think Anything good would came out of it. What do you think about his strange connection to Penny?

34)The buttons? The key to Fillory? Is that really that simple? Can Quentin finally find the missing part of his life?

35)Way to go Alice. Smacking him all right. Do you think he really needed to hurt Alice to finally have a change on his life? Or is Alice right and Quentin just hates himself so much that he doesn't know how to be happy with life?

36)Penny is really happy. I never saw him talking so much. I think I may underestimated him. Am I the nly one?

37)Are Quentin's fears so illogical? They learned that magic should not be used to harm or they can be consumed by it? Are they all so drunk with Fillory that they are just ignoring the risks?

38)Am I the only one worried about this whole Quentin-Alice thing? People made stupid decisions or mistakes when hurt or angry. I think they are a time bomb disaster waiting to happen.

39)The weird reaction of Janet to the Netherlands is bothering me. What could that mean?

40)"None so cursed" That was a not so good premonition. Or was it just a statement. Insects shooting arrows. Walking trees. Fillory has a lot of promises. Thoughts so far?

message 50: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Laura's Questions for Lovelady-Alice

I didn't see the black hole as going loopy, I just saw it as he finally did some powerful magic and didn't quite want to turn it off. It sounds like he's having a lot harder time then some of the other student at Brakebill and it might be getting to him a little bit. Magic doesn't come every time he calls so he can't depend on it the same way say Alice or Quentin can. He never knows if a spell will actually work no matter if he's doing the perfect fingering and spellcasting. It's that bit inside that's hard.

I didn't really think much of him personally as we didn't see much of him other then the description Josh gave. It sounds like he's just a peddler that may happen across a few authentic pieces of magical artifacts once in awhile, or at least likes to pretend he does. He seemed to have a pretty cool shield thing around him and Josh when Quentin tried to come up to them, which makes me think some of it is real stuff. Maybe he was/is a magician himself?

The bird thing was a little strange, but at least it seemed to have a purpose unlike the turning into polar bears or foxes later on. I think it would be interesting to see how other animals think and feel, but it sounded like a long arduous journey that I wouldn't want to take. I wonder if the other students had to fly back as well?

I wonder if the fox scene was meant to clear their minds (or muddle it for those that weren't really meant to make it) since Quentin seemed to focus more on the magic after that. Mayakovsky has been doing this for quite some time so I'm sure there was some grander purpose to it all.

If I truly knew the magic then yes I would do it. I would want to know that I could. Mayakovsky had told Quentin in the beginning of the artic adventure that few magicians ever really learned to do magic in a way that made it viable, and few ever realized they couldn't. Running the event to the south pole proved that he had what it took.

I would tell the Dean and hope to have her memory wiped. No one deserves to be tortured in the way that she has the past few years. Knowing that there is a magical world that you almost got into but not quite. That's like getting a letter to Hogwarts then finding out it was actually for your sister not you. Torture! If I were Julia I would hope deep down that the memories disappeared if I wasn't going to get in so I could go back to my normal life. Better to live in ignorance.

They were definitely meant to be. I think Julia was holding him back a little bit and the events over the summer finally let him let go of her and move fully into his new life. Him and Alice are good together. They will save the world.

I think we will definitely see one at some point. No point in bringing it up otherwise. Quentin will probably need a big question answered on his quest after graduating from Brakebill.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Magicians (other topics)
Codex (other topics)
The Mysterious Benedict Society (other topics)
The Name of the Wind (other topics)
The Magician King (other topics)