Death Be Not Proud Death Be Not Proud discussion

Reading "Death be not Proud" just before or after the death of a loved one

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rnwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rnwen I read this just after the death of my grandfather and it truly helped me put the ordeal into perspective. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Aug 03, 2013 03:47PM) (new)

Joseph I think this is a very interesting story for the fact it deals with upbeat behavior in the face of death. It shows that even death may not stop us from doing what we want as long as we are alive. Johnny certainly remains steadfast though he knew he had very little time to live. so this book can be helpful to those going through terminal illness, or useful to those undergoing chemo due to cancer, no doubt. However, I was very disappointed that it shows that we can deal with death only in the here and now. After we do everything we can to beat death and fail, is there a way we can say that death did not win? From this book point of view, death itself can argue that it wins because the person dies. If the author concluded that the great intentions that Johnny adds to help other people, his faith, and his undefeated attitude are what ultimately causes death to not be proud because Johnny will have a better future after his suffering in this life, it would have been more compatible with the title. While I was very eager to read the book, the conclusion is so much disappointing since it concludes nothing out of ordinary. The conclusion is that at the end sicence will win, meaning sicence will cure all diseases. Well, science will never cure the disease called death. So from this book viewpoint, death is still proud.

Armando I read this book many years after I had recovered from an ilness that I thought would take my life. To me It was deeply inspiring and I recommend it all the time to many people, but particularly the depressed, so that they may put things in perspective. They can say to themselves: wow! I guess I dont have it that bad, at least I have a job or a great many number of things. I live in the U.S. but come from a poor little town in Mexico but what I have seen over many years is that depression is rampant in affluent society. THey dont really have anything to complain about so they complain about everything. Anyways when I am having a hard day, I just think of Johny Gun as he held his head up and walked up the steps to graduate and in essence brought everyone there in to unity. Tears well up in me every time.