Reason Reigns & Royal Serf discussion

Royal Serf (old) > Prologue

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilyn (last edited Mar 23, 2009 03:23AM) (new)

Ilyn Ross (ilyn_ross) | 175 comments Mod
PROLOGUE

1996 - Northumberland, England

A boy, around six or seven years old, and his grandmother gazed upon a factory which had been reported to be bankrupt. From their parked bicycles, they walked towards the main entrance.

A young man emerged from the financially doomed building. Thin and tall, he stood remarkably straight. His wavy red hair was swept back from his forehead. Head held high on relaxed shoulders. Eyes, the aim of an artist’s quest: the focus of a photographic memory, the uncompromising twinkle, and the intensity that could come only from a brain of extraordinary throughput.

The grandmother and the boy stopped, electrified by the phenomenon. She focused on the young man’s face. It reflected her grandson’s passionate earnestness and innocence, untouched by humility.

“A teenager - ,” observed the old woman dressed in rags, “- but with the eyes of an active mind, the proud gait of the self-reliant, the aura rooted in rationality: the bearing of a thinker and a man of action.”

Her eyes met the teenager’s.

“Hello, Ma’am. Hi kiddo. Have a fine day.”

“Hello. My name is Diana Washington. This is my grandson, Ian Washington.”

“I’m Apollo Marianto. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“You have the bearing of a victor and the name of a god,” Ian greeted. “God of reason, can this factory survive?”

“It shall, if it operates in freedom.” Apollo had decided to finance the factory.

“I will see to it,” the little boy promised.

Diana’s eyes shone with love and hope. In the succeeding days, she delighted in the infusion of investments for the factory. Its hundreds of workers and their families rejoiced.

Six years passed.

On her deathbed, Diana Washington thought of the factory and the thousands more employees it hired. She held her grandson’s hands and whispered, “Ian, the government is putting shackles on the factory... because it is successful.”

“Rest your mind, Grandma. I vow to remove the shackles.”

Diana proudly admired her grandson, “A thinker and a young man of action.” She saw in Ian what was unmistakable in Apollo.

“A world that has been conned and brainwashed will hate Apollo and Ian. The world will denounce their uncompromising integrity and radiant joy as arrogance and evil-selfishness. It takes rationality and morality to grasp that selfishness is a virtue. It takes men of mettle, the kind of Apollo and Ian, to staunchly advocate the glorious virtue of selfishness. Societies that have enshrined mediocrity will feel profound hatred for their ability, honesty, earnestness, achievement, pride, and happiness. Others might be destroyed by this unspeakable evil, but not my two boys. Ian and Apollo will build sanctuaries for greatness and human joy. They will fight for their kind of world: a benevolent universe.”

Diana did not foresee that the opponents of freedom and happiness would try to annihilate her two beloved boys. Power-lusters would mark Apollo and Ian for destruction in order to stop them from erecting barriers that protect the innocents.

The memorial ceremony for Diana Washington was fit for a queen.

Within a month, Ian traveled to New York City. From the airport, he went directly to Apollo’s office at the top of a skyscraper.

“Grandmother wrote you a letter.”

Apollo read the short request from Diana. He quickly recovered from his surprise. “I am but twenty-five and a guardian to a thirteen-year-old.”

That day, Ian’s instruction about the business world started. When Apollo brought him home, they went straight to the study. Apollo showed Ian his journal of heroes.

“President George Washington rejected a movement to make him King of the United States, calling it ‘abhorrent’. He is the embodiment of my morality: A moral man does not rule, nor can he be ruled by men.

By the time Thomas Jefferson was six, he had read most of the books in his father’s library. A polymath and polyglot, he is the greatest political thinker. I revere the author of the Declaration of Independence.

William Pitt the Younger, one of Britain's greatest Prime Ministers, became the youngest Prime Minister in 1783 at age 24.

From early childhood, José Rizal was advancing political ideas of freedom. He passionately advocated knowledge and individual rights at a time when independent thinkers would surely die. I love his sculpture of a naked woman triumphantly raising a torch, arms stretched high above her head, body straight and proud, feet firmly atop a skull over a thick book. Showing man’s goodness and efficacy, the sculpture entitled The Power of Science over Death represents my values. The woman’s exalted pose is a salute to man’s intellectual and creative power.

At age six, Ayn Rand taught herself to read and two years later discovered her first fictional hero in a French magazine for children, thus capturing the heroic vision which sustained her throughout her life. At age nine, she decided to make fiction writing her career. I greatly admire her books, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I live by her philosophy: Objectivism.

She admired Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas. She regarded Victor Hugo as ‘the greatest novelist in world literature.’ Mr. Hugo depicts moral giants in his books. Their actions are heroic, noble, intelligent, and beautiful. Ayn Rand also said - It is great to be reminded that the cowardly, the depraved, the mindless, the ugly are not all that is possible to man. When one says, ‘life is not like Hugo’s heroes’, ask him: whose life? A Romanticist, Mr. Hugo’s vision is always focused on the fundamentals of man’s nature, on those problems and those aspects of his character which apply to any age and any country. The theme of his book Ninety-Three is: man’s loyalty to values. The emphasis Mr. Hugo projects is not: ‘What great values men are fighting for!’, but: ‘What greatness men are capable of, when they fight for their values!’

* Continued in the next post

message 2: by Ilyn (last edited Mar 21, 2009 07:45AM) (new)

Ilyn Ross (ilyn_ross) | 175 comments Mod
* continuation

Ralph Teetor, a prolific inventor, invented cruise control. Blind since the age of five, Mr. Teetor built his first car, a one-cylinder, by age twelve.

At age thirteen, Bill Gates was writing computer programs.

The world owes a lot of its comforts and high standard of living to Thomas Edison. He said, ‘Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.’ When asked about his over 2,000 failed attempts to make a working filament for the light bulb, he replied: ‘I didn't fail 2,000 times; I just found 2,000 ways not to make a light bulb.’

I am inspired by his life, as a boy and as a man. I love the movies: Young Tom Edison and Edison the Man. The boy Edison was popularly described as addled because of his active mind and pursuits of knowledge. He was filled with curiosity and he loved to experiment. I always think of this scene in the movie:

His Mom got sick while his Dad and his older brother were away. Young Tom Edison asked his little sister to fetch their brother. Their Mom worsened during the stormy night. The doctor couldn’t operate until morning when there’s enough light. But Tom’s Mom might not survive the night without being operated on. Young Tom Edison thought up a solution to the inadequacy of lighting preventing the doctor from operating on Tom’s Mom. The boy couldn’t get in touch with the owner of a furniture store, so he broke in and took a big mirror. At home, he lit many lamps and placed them in front of the mirror – the refracted light brightened the room! The doctor successfully operated on Tom’s Mom.

The town’s bridge was washed away by the storm that night. Without a means of communicating this to the inbound train’s crew, the train would surely plunge into the river. Tom’s siblings were on the train with many other people.

The following morning, Tom returned the mirror. The furniture store owner did not wait for an explanation – he smacked the boy as the news about the endangered inbound train spread. Young Tom Edison joined the townspeople at the train headquarters. The town was desperate. No one had an idea how to communicate with the inbound train except Thomas Edison, but none listened to him. He climbed a truck and operated an apparatus which emitted loud sounds heard from afar.

The townspeople realized what the young boy was doing – he was sending a message in Morse code. The truck was driven to the riverbank where the bridge had been, as Tom continued to send: Stop the train! Danger!

On the train, only one person realized that the sounds were in Morse code – Tom’s little sister. She decoded the messages and told her eldest brother who, in turn, told the train conductor. But the latter dismissed the information. He told the other passengers that the little girl was addled like her brother, Tom. The train neared the river at great speed. Tom Edison continued to send messages and his sister continued to decode them. As the young girl decoded the latest message, she exclaimed: ‘The town’s bridge was washed away!’

The conductor swiftly pulled a lever to stop the train. The young Edisons saved the lives of many people. The town showed great appreciation to the young heroes.

The achievements of Thomas Edison are of public record: 1,368 patents out of which 1,093 are US patents. He founded several companies including General Electric. The whole world benefited and continues to benefit from his inventions.

In 1907, Edison-worshipper Henry Ford declared, ‘I will build a motor car for the great multitude. It will be large enough for the family, but small enough for the individual to run and care for. It will be constructed of the best materials, by the best men to be hired, after the simplest designs that modern engineering can devise. But it will be so low in price that no man making a good salary will be unable to own one.’

The Ford tractors were the first to be produced on a massive scale and the first farm tractors to be affordable by average farmers and rural citizens. Henry Ford held that his tractors were the key to eliminating war and improving the human condition. A revolutionary innovator, Mr. Ford stood alone against a mountain of criticisms. He was the first man to discover the advantages of mass production and the first to use an assembly line. To achieve his visions, he hired the best of men, offering an unsolicited raise in workers’ wages, higher than any union scale at the time – he was the first to refute in practice the theory of ‘class-warfare’.”

The ward looked up to his guardian, his hero. “The grandeur of your heroes and mine….”

After supper, Apollo invited, “Let’s go to The Pit Stop. I go there to rest and refuel. Together with my journal of heroes, The Pit Stop invigorates and gives me joy.”

Apollo opened the door to The Pit Stop, but did not turn on the light. It was a large, high-ceilinged room containing works of art. At the end of The Pit Stop were twin miniature skyscrapers that almost reached the ceiling. Their upper floors were brightly lit. Apollo and Ian stopped by the door, solemnly gazing up at the skyscrapers named Twin Beau Ideals. They were of the same mind. “The Declaration of Independence in towering steel - a free mind and ego soaring to the skies - happiness rising in architectural symphony.”

The lit top floors of the left tower spelled B I G; its lower floors were strategically lit to spell B U S I N E S S. The right tower’s uppermost lights spelled E G O; its lit lower floors radiated S E L F I S H N E S S. The Twin Beau Ideals glowed with the following:

B I G............E G O

B..................S
U.................E
S..................L
I..................F
N.................I
E.................S
S.................H
S.................N
....................E
....................S
....................S

Rights-infringers profoundly hated what rights-respecters revered. The towers represented a mighty threat to sacrifice-glorifiers, mind-destroyers, and oppressors. Rejecting the hands-off, nonintervention, noninterference imperative in freedom, rights-infringers revel in coercive impositions.

Apollo and Ian remembered the day when enemies of freedom and free enterprise destroyed the real-life BIG BUSINESS tower, and the haters of equal inherent inalienable rights struck down the real-life EGO-SELFISHNESS skyscraper.

Apollo told Ian, “Many people revolted by the September 11, 2001 destruction miss the fact that the values and virtues that made the Twin Beau Ideals possible have been under vicious attack for over a century. Deluge of vilification and incomprehensible injustice have been heaped upon free enterprise, big business, brilliant innovation, spectacular success, and self-interested pursuits of profit and happiness.”

The guardian and his ward each vowed, “What the twin towers stood for must not crumble in ruins. I pledge my life and sacred honor to see you rise again, Twin Beau Ideals, together with the good you represent: reason, liberty, coercion-free economics, science, technology, progress, innovation, pride, and joy.