What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED! Children's/YA- Winter, Boy has staff [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments I read this a couple of years ago, the author's last name began with a letter in the first half of the alphabet, and the cover was blue or gold.
The main character was a boy, and it was winter all of the time, and the boy's father died when the boy was really young, but he left his cloak for the boy, and when the boy goes out to 'see the world' (or something like that) he's finally tall enough to wear the cloak. And he finds a staff along the way, and the staff was really important to the story, and there was something about rocks and the staff at the end.
And they built a big building for the boy when he was older, and he would sit in the cupola and look out over the mountains, and he really liked it, but that was near the end of the book.

I hope this is enough information for you guys!

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 205 comments It sounds a bit like one of the Victor Kelleher ones to me. I'll go have a look.

message 3: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Here's Victor Kelleher on fantastic fiction:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/v...

message 4: by April Ann (last edited Mar 17, 2009 12:07PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Home Is the North (Walter Morey Adventure Library) by Walt Morey Home Is the North by Walt Morey
Summary: A portrait of the land and people of wilderness Alaska presented through the experiences of an orphan whose year of decisions, responsibilities, and growth help him to accept the future.

I'll keep searching...

message 5: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments It doesn't sound like any Victor Kelleher books that I saw... and I don't think the book was in Alaska, as I'm fairly sure there was some element of fantasy.
I also remembered that the boy lived with an old woman (it may have been his grandmother) before he went on his journey.

message 6: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments ok..I'll check under fantasy genre...

message 7: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Was the staff or cloak magic?

message 8: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments I really can't remember...

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 205 comments I had a look at Master of the Grove, which is the Victor Kelleher book it most closely resembles, but there are a few details which don't match.
The boy, Derin, lives with an old woman, there is a lot about ice and snow and cold. The staff is there, but I can't find anything about the cloak in my quick scan through. Also Master of the Grove ends at the end of the quest, so there's no bit with a big building and a cupola.
So I was wrong, but its still a good read!

message 10: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments I think the boy's name began with a K or a C... I want to say his name was Chris, but I think the characters all had unusual names, so that's probably not it, but in case it helps...

message 11: by Darg (new)

Darg (dargret) | 69 comments A friend's comment helped me figure this out... Kringle by Tony Abbott

But thanks for all of your help!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Home is the North, (other topics)
Kringle (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tony Abbott (other topics)