Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Longmont

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 2 comments I just found out about goodreads and I was thrilled to see a group in Longmont.

I'm inspired to make an actual list of books to read: usually my picks are rather random.

Currently I'm finishing the Philip Pullman "Dark Materials" trilogy. I usually don't read fantasy or YA lit but all the controversy surrounding this drew me in. The first two novels really held my interest (and yes the book was better than the movie) but I'm somewhat disappointed with the last novel in the trilogy. Pullman has stated that he was inspired by Milton's "Paradise Lost" but I think he's trying too hard to create a modern myth.

Anyone else out there read the trilogy?

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Hi Maggie!

I haven't read the trilogy. Never heard of it actually BUT now I am very interested. I'm fairly new to YA and am really getting into the genre. I'm thinking I might read this.

How are you liking goodreads? I'm addicted. I'm so glad to have a fellow longmont person here!

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 2 comments Hi Danine,

I haven't had much time to explore this site yet- but I will in bits and pieces. I belong to a writers on line site too and I want to make sure I leave myself enough time to actually read and write!

I'll probably finish Pullman this weekend and maybe start Atonement next. I usually don't read books because there's a film out- but I saw the film and now I have to read the book.

Have you read an McEwan? I read Chesyl Beach and wasn't impressed. I hope Atonement's better. I did hear that there's a bit of a dust up with plagiarism charges against him. Yikes. I hate plagiarism.

message 4: by Mommynearest (last edited Jan 10, 2008 07:17PM) (new)

Mommynearest | 21 comments Hi Maggie,
I listened to his Trilogy book's on tape last year during my commute time from Ft Collins to Greeley. I really enjoyed the series, but like you said the last book was not as good as the first 2. It got me going on other fantasy books, too. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud is young adult fantasy, but good. I have yet to see the Golden Compass movie, but I want to!

message 5: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Oooo I am a writer too. Not the to be published kind. Well, maybe someday. Do you go to the Longmont Writer's Club. I've yet to go to a meeting. They need to update their website.

I have not read McEwan. I will check out the books. Plagerism=badness.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) McEwan and plagiarism?! Gosh, hope there is nothing to the charge! Most every one of his books were selected for the new 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list. I've read most of them, but not Chesyl Beach (also on the list) yet.

One of my other favorite authors, Joyce K.Goodwin
("Team of Rivals" about Lincoln and also a Pres.L. Johnson and baseball historian) got some bad publicity on that front, too; but eventually most people came to understand it was just an honest error. Hope this turns our similarly or lots of readers will be really disappointed.

Thanks for the info.

Judith