Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I will not wear green, just to keep the streak alive.

I will get the kids green frosted cupcakes.

I will mock the holiday around my Irish wife. But nicely.

And...you?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I will wear green if I remember tomorrow morning. I will not drink green beer, or do any pinching.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Pinching? What kind of weirdass St. Patrick's Day traditions do you have out in the northwest?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You don't wear green, you get pinched, RA. Don't say I didn't warn you.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What in the hell? Can other people confirm this pinching thing? I've never heard it before.

Anyone pinches me, I'm kicking him/her in the shins.

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments You never got pinched for not wearing green, RA? I figured they would be all about that in Chicago...

I wanted to do my usual St. Patrick's Day routine which involves drinking Guinness and listening to the Pogues. However it looks like we are going to my parents' house to visit so I will have to behave (my Mom has been known to wail on miscreants with her shillelagh...).

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I swear I never got pinched for not wearing green, and I grew up in Irish-infested Chicago, you're right. Maybe there are advantages to being 6ft2.

Ah, maybe I'll crank some Irish music tomorrow...good idea...

I dare you to pinch your mom, Tad.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments WHAT ABOUT WEARING GREEN?
...If someone forgets to wear green on St. Patrick's Day, those who are wearing green are allowed to give the offender a pinch as a reminder. However, if you pinch someone who is wearing green, that person gets to pinch you back ten times!...
http://blackdog4kids.com/holiday/pat/...

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane I think if you can claim Irish heritage, you're exempt from wearing green. Sometimes being Irish is enough.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am wearing my 1986 Celtics shirt (which i may have worn anywho) and listening to The Celtic Women, the Corrs and Thin Lizzy

heck yeah RA - pinching for no green is S.O.P. where you been?

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I swear I have never heard of this pinching thing. And I'm not Irish, so I have no excuse.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I never heard of it either. And I've been around some.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Hee-hee, punch people.
That's gonna be my new tradition.

However, I am just adding to the list, but I grew up in Texas, and I got pinched/pinched others if green was not worn on the day of St. Patrick's.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) When my friend Randy went to Ireland on business, people snickered at him whenever he introduced himself. Finally someone said, "Isn't your name really Randall?"

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wait. My eyes are green...hazel...whatever. Does that count? Maybe that's why no one has ever pinched/punched me.

Maybe I'll spread a rumor that you can kick guys in the nuts if they don't wear green. That'll get guys into the spirit of the holiday...

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No, Croyle! Watching people get kicked in the nuts is funny.

As long as it's not me.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Last year my St. Patrick's day was crazy... we started at 1:00 in the afternoon! This year I don't really have any plans so I don't know if I am going to end up doing anything at all. I was still in my 20s last year. ;)

I hate corned beef and cabbage. Any suggestions on other Irish dinners?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Potatoes, soda bread, and Guinness?

message 19: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Green shirt/sweater. Nothing special.

I'm so not Irish. Damn WASP family...

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I would LOVE to make mussels but my husband won't wat them.

Do you think I could make Shepherd's pie with ground turkey? I don't eat red meat which is why no corned beef...

Maybe Jackie's carb-galore suggestion will work!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sure, add a nice GREEN salad and you're set!

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments 1986 Celtics shirt on today :)

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ooh. I do have a Celtics jersey. I could wear that. Good idea, Kev...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

My wife put green food coloring in the milk, so when I went to pour it on my cereal --- well it was a little surprising. She also put it in the toilets.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh, Jim. I might try that one. Not the milk. The other one.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

RA, Your boys should love it.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments what a fun wife. did she tell you she put it in the toilet before you ran to the emergency room?

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've already seen my coworkers pinching each other for not wearing green this morning.

I'm wearing my green... and listening to some Dropkick Murphys and Pogues. :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin, It was easy to guess when she's standing there laughing.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I'm happy it is St Patrick's Day. I <3 it.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Donna, I may look up a recipe for that cheese and potato pie! It sounds delish.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't eat meat anymore, but if I did,
Steak & Guinness Stew (can also be a pie)
would be high on my list.

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm really wishing my stepmum was making her New England boiled dinner (corned beef, rutabaga, turnip, carrots, potatoes, cabbage) tonight.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I am going to attempt chicken breasts in stout-mustard-cream sauce. It'll be an improvisation. I'll let you know how it works out.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.