Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Do you remember your 1st mystery book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (MelissaCEO) | 6 comments My first mystery was BIG MAX by Kin Platt. It is an I can read 2 book that I read in grade school and I was hooked. I haven't stopped reading them since.

message 2: by Judub (new)

Judub | 12 comments Don't remember which one, but it was one of the Sherlock Holmes story.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob McMonigal Same with me, I'm sure my first non-kids mystery was Doyle. Might have been the Speckled Band.

message 4: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments I read my first mystery when I was about eight. It was a Nancy Drew. I don;t remember the title but I remember reading several in the series/

Lillian

message 5: by Jaed (new)

Jaed Mine was The Hound of the Baskervilles.

message 6: by *Nan* (new)

*Nan* (nan4471) My first mystery was the Bobsey Twins and then moved on to Nancy Drew.

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela My first mystery was Three Blind Mice and Other Stories by Agatha Christie (the basis for the long-running play The Mousetrap). I was age 8 and enthralled. I have been addicted to mysteries ever since.

message 8: by Libbie (new)

Libbie | 4 comments I am right there with you! I read all of my mother's Bobsey Twins novels, hardcovers saved from her chilhood---wonder where those are???
Then moved onto Nancy Drew and finally Encyclopedia Brown. I hope to pass on the mystery tradition to my daughter :)

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 2 comments My first mystery was "The Swimming Pool" by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I read it in High School and have been hooked every since. I have all of her mysteries. I also love Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 11 comments Wow - I'm thinking it was a Bobbsey Twin or Nancy Drew book. May have been Encyclopedia Brown though.

message 11: by Bentley (new)

Bentley (byronicwoman) | 5 comments The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. I borrowed it from the library in the third grade and had it read and returned by the next day. I was an avid reader, but I didn't know the meaning of "page-turner" until this book. Next came the Encyclopedia Brown books. And it was all downhill from there.

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) A Hardy Boys book: "The Twisted Claw." This lead to the reading of the first 20 or 30 Hardy Boys books...

I went back recently and re-read an early Hardy Boys book...What did I find so good about them?

message 13: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments My first mystery was a Nancy Drew novel. I don't remember the title.

message 14: by f. (new)

f.  | 1 comments

My first mystery was RUMI poems as Iranian 13th century great poets.

RUMI Group in Goodreads site link:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

invite you to visit english topic there and if you like joint this group

message 15: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 19 comments Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise (niser) | 26 comments Nancy Drew; read several over summer vacation in grade school.

message 17: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) It was Arthur Conan Doyle. I think it was The Hound of the Baskervilles.

message 18: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 3 comments Nancy Drew...The Bungalow Mystery...

I read every single book in her series, but that was the first.

Loved that series, when I was a kid.

message 19: by Inky (new)

Inky | 2 comments I was hooked by Nancy Drew as well. Secret of the Old Clock. I finished all the Nancy Drews in a summer and went on to Donna Parker and Trixie Belden. To this day, I'm still hooked on the girl detectives, from Stephanie Plum to Barbara Havers in the Elizabeth George novels. My favorite of late is Laurie King's Mary Russell, who's learning her art at the side of Mystery's Number 1 -- Sherlock Holmes.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Steffox) | 2 comments Nancy Drew, I think. There were probably some Encyclopedia Browns or something in there first, but yeah, Nancy and I go back a ways. I find her hilariously campy now, but I remember the first time I read a whole Nancy Drew book in 1 day, I was so proud of myself.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Steffox) | 2 comments The Westing Game is still one of my absolute favourite mystery books EVER. I wish it weren't a kid's book, but it is so excellent. I also wish the authro had written more. My copy of it is so battered and loved...

message 22: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus | 2 comments I remember some sort of kid's version of "The Speckled Band" with Holmes... but I think my very first was probably something like "Encyclopedia Brown" if one can count him. Seems like he was always solving mysteries!

And of course Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys...

T

message 23: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 10 comments My first mystery was a Bobbsey Twins. Nancy Drew soon followed.

I'm impressed with you guys that started with people like Holmes.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jwesterk) | 1 comments It was Nancy Drew for me too. I never really thought about it but I didn't read at all until my mom brought home that first mystery home from the library. Now you can't catch me without a book and it's all thanks to that first mystery!

message 25: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 28 comments Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, but when I was 11 and babysitting next door I read all the Alfred Hitchcock stories on the bookshelves. Scared myself silly and loved it!

message 26: by Doug (new)

Doug Cummings (dougmcummingsauthor) | 8 comments Don't remember which Hardy Boys it was but yep, they were my first. And yes, I went back recently when someone brought out a new/old pre-politically correct version of one of the books and couldn't finish it.

First adult mystery was Ross Macdonald's "Moving Target" after I saw the movie "Harper" with Paul Newman. I was hooked.

message 27: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 21 comments Definitely Trixie Belden for me, closely followed by Nancy Drew. I stopped reading mysteries for a while as a teenager, but when my father died when I was 24, I picked up a couple of his old Ross McDonald books, and I've been a mystery reader ever since.

message 28: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 7 comments I read all of the Hardy Boy books as a kid, a couple of Encyclopedia Browns and the Hound of the Baskerville in 5th grade but the big break through was Harry Kemelman - Rabbi Small and John D. MacDonald - Travis McGee. I read both of their series and was hooked.

message 29: by Dfordoom (new)

Dfordoom | 18 comments My first mystery novel would have been something by Agatha Christie, although I have non recollection of which one. I went through so many of her books after that but I don't think I could read her now.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 13 comments Sherlock Holmes "The Hound of Baskerville"

message 31: by Babette (new)

Babette | 6 comments I believe my first mystery was The Secret of the Old Clock - a Nancy Drew mystery. I was still in elementary school and had a bad case of the measles. My mother brought home a carton of about 18 Nancy Drew mysteries that one of her colleagues was getting rid of (her daughter had out grown them). I was hooked on those. From there I moved on to Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie and have never stopped.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) I've been addicted to mysteries for so long I'm not certain which I read first.

It might have been a Judy Bolton book of my mother's (probably either The Vanishing Shadow or The Invisible Chimes), an Encyclopedia Brown story, or a Nancy Drew.

Or E.L. Konigsburg's The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which is also kinda a mystery. I loved that one.

message 33: by Lil (new)

Lil | 4 comments Now to date myself - I read Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins, and if this counts maybe as a legal thriller the Perry Mason books by Erle Stanley Gardner

message 34: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments Aside from the Nancy Drew novels I read in childhood my first adult mystery was Murder London -New York by John Creasey- an Inspector Roger West of Scotland Yard - 1958 I pretty well read all the series and in fact still have them. Agatha Christie was another that I read extensively as well.

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth Like many of you, I started with Nancy Drew, then graduated to Agatha Christie and Edgar Allan Poe.

message 36: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Cabibi-Wilkin | 3 comments No, I can't say I can remember that far, but I d remember discovering Dashiel Hammett in HS or college & reading & loving all of them. Then I was into cat mysteries (including Sneaky Pie Brown and several others) for awhile, and I was really hooked when I got into Faye Kellerman.

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) Same as Beth: NANCY DREW, Agatha Christie, but I was also reading John Saul, Stephen King, Dean R. Koontz, VC Andrews (those I guess aren't so much "mystery" as just creepy!) and then I got to Poe in high school. Wow, blasts from the past.

Peace!

message 38: by Patty (new)

Patty (bookswoman) I'm not sure but I think I found Nancy Drew later than some others - but I remember Encyclopedia Brown and a little set of books called Two Minute Mysteries that I loved! The first mystery that I owned was The Hound of the Baskervilles. I tried reading it but it was a bit beyond me at that time, so it was a couple of years before I got to it.

message 39: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 19 comments Lillian: I collect John Creasey mysteries. I love The Toff and The Baron, but I've started picking up the Inspector West series as well!

message 40: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 67 comments I'm so old I can't remember whether it was A Study In Scarlet or one of Poe's Dupin stories. I know I read all I could find of both Doyle and Poe, loved Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu tales and devoured all of the Hardy Boys.

message 41: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments Becca, I have almost all of the John Creasey. I particularly enjoyed the Dr.Palfrey series.

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie It had to have been Nancy Drew for me.

message 43: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 19 comments Oh, Lillian, I truly envy you! I hope to collect them all before my time on Earth is done.

message 44: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 61 comments Think it was probably one of Enid Blyton's Famous Five books, can't remember which.

message 45: by Dfordoom (new)

Dfordoom | 18 comments My first mystery would have been something by Agatha Christie.

message 46: by Lucianna (new)

Lucianna (lucianna77) | 2 comments Yes it was 3rd Degree by James Patterson

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 34 comments I'm not actually sure which one came first, but I began my love of mysteries by reading The Boxcar Children, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, and the Bobbsey Twins. There were even a couple of ones based on TV or movie characters, Annette and the Mystery at Moonstone Bay and Patty Duke and Mystery Mansion. I remember loving a Haley Mills movie that was a mystery, too. I think it was The Moonspinners.

message 48: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) It was a Donna Parker book. They were put out by Whitman books and a hardcover book cost about $.59!

message 49: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 31 comments I don't remember my very first mystery, but I am willing to bet it was either a Hardy Boys case or Encyclopedia Brown.

message 50: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancybartellsbcglobalnet) | 16 comments Absolutely the Nancy Drew series...especially since my name is Nancy. I would get one of her latest books for a Christmas present and have it read by the end of the day and would pine for the next book to come out.

« previous 1