The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges > February 2013 Mini-Challenge: Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 316 (316 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hello everyone! Happy February!

Louize suggested this last December, but there wasn't much time to do it in January. But since I am in charge of the discussion on February, I thought we could start it this month! So here's our first mini-challenge for 2013.

This is actually half challenge, half discussion. Let's get to the challenge part first.

Challenge
In my book blog, I host a monthly reading challenge called Required Reading, where I pick books to read based on a theme I chose and read them for the month. People who join Required Reading don't have to pick the same theme I choose because the challenge is really about reducing the TBR...but here we'll shake it up a little.

Since February is Valentine's month, let's all read something romantic. Note that it doesn't have to be a romance novel, but a book that has some sort of romance in them. :) Romance doesn't have to be the main point of the story, but there has to be some kind of falling in love / love / heartbreak / meet-cutes / romantic tension in the story.

Read one, two, or four -- read as many books as you like, and post about them here. Talk about what you liked, didn't like and if you would recommend it (and if you know some people here, who would you recommend it to). If you've read a book with romance it in recently that you really liked, share it here, too. :)

Discussion
I will be posting several questions every week for February that talks about romance in fiction. It will be a very light discussion about our favorite couples in fiction (or even movies or TV), pet peeves in romance and stuff like that.

It doesn't have to be personal if you don't want it to be personal, but if you want to share a bit...then go ahead. :D

Rules:
Just two!

* Mutual respect, as always. You can express your opinion, and others may disagree, but let's not get too heated up, okay? It is all about love, after all.
* No bitterness! :D Or at least, keep it at bay. This is why you don't have to be personal if you don't want it to be personal, okay? :)

It's four minutes past midnight in my clock -- let's get this first discussion/challenge going!

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Here are the books I'll read for this challenge (which is also a part of my February Required Reading):

* Every Day by David Levithan (buddy read!)
* Fourteen Love Stories - reading this one not just because Dead Stars is in it. :D

I'm not yet done with Les Mis so I don't know if I can squeeze one more book into this list, but if I can, I will probably read For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund since it's a retelling of my favorite Jane Austen novel, Persuasion. :)

message 3: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 149 comments I'm in :)

-Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner
-Double Love by Francine Pascal

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Phoebe: Double Love! SVH! I never read that. Haha! I was more of a Sweet Valley Twins girl noon :D

message 5: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments YES. I'll get back to you re: my own list! I'm excited to read romance again! (Suddenly have the urge to go on a Meg Ryan/Julia Roberts/Molly Ringwald movie marathon. Ahh, good ol' romcoms.) Hihi. <3

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Blue: I'm on a romcom marathon since last weekend! I am ashamed to admit that last week was the first time I watched Serendipity. OTL

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Yay. I'm so happy that for the first time, the world is on my side. Hahaha. I actually set myself to read Romance and just Romance novels this month (setting aside Les Mis for a while. Yes, Ella, mauuna ka talaga sa akin. Haha). At ayun, akalain niyo, magcoconspire dito. Ang saya ko. Hahaha. \:D/

message 8: by Phoebe (last edited Jan 31, 2013 09:16AM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 149 comments Tina wrote: "Phoebe: Double Love! SVH! I never read that. Haha! I was more of a Sweet Valley Twins girl noon :D"

Same here. hihi. Ngayon ko lang nakita itong high :)
I the watched the tv series pa noon haha.

Biena: ako gagawin kong reason ang February para makabasa ng maraming romance haha

message 9: by Malekk Mata Po (last edited Jan 31, 2013 01:19PM) (new)

Malekk Mata Po | 1191 comments hi! Tina my challenge are;
1. One Day by David NichollsOne day by david nicholls
2. The Age of Innocence by Edith WhartonAge of Innocence by edith wharton
3. It's a Mens World by Bebang SiyIt's a Mens world by bebang siy
4. Up in the Air by Walter KirnUp in the Air by waltern kirn
5. Mga Agos Sa Disyerto by Efren R. AbuegAng Lungsod ay Isang dagat by Efren Abueg
6.Sa Piling ng mga Bituin by rogelio Ordonez
7.Obrang Maestra by Christian de Jesus

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Phoebe wrote: "Biena: ako gagawin kong reason ang February para makabasa ng maraming romance haha "

Wait. Wait. Inumpisahan ko yang Double Love last week pero nasa page 1 pa lang ako. Kaya pala! May makakasabay ako! Gusto mo mag-buddy read? Hahaha! :D

message 11: by Dardenitaaa (new)

Dardenitaaa | 15 comments MY FEBRUARY TBR

febtbr

More on my book blog: http://wp.me/p1RJBn-8u

message 12: by AennA (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Ho-ho-ho-ho! (Ay, I know this sounds Christmas-y, but, so?) :D

I'm glad this is not going to be a real "challenge" for me, since I really decided to read love-related stories this whole month of February. I will check on my decided books to read later. Yey. :)

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Pareho tayo Anna! :)

message 14: by Maria Ella (last edited Feb 02, 2013 07:50AM) (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1347 comments One Day is a reread. Omg lang sixth time ko nang babasahin hoho.
If Mina's work Interim Goddess of Love will come during the love month, i shall read it in one sitting.
Does Les Mis still count though (malapit na kasi ako sa landian portion ni Marius at Cosette)...?

And fine. I'll try to squeeze in Nicole Krauss' History of Love --- stricken out because of not nice .mobi version. Please pahingi ako ng maayos for kindle please? :)

With that, I shall try to look for this book (kindle version) and ito na lang ang love story na babasahin ko. :)
Wish me luck. Shiokari Pass by Ayako Miura

message 15: by Cary (new)

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments im in!

message 16: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 725 comments I'm in!:)I'll post my list later.:D

message 17: by Monique (last edited Jan 31, 2013 06:10PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2113 comments Since I've been a faithful member of the Required Reading Gang (hi, Alexa! :D), joining this Mini-Challenge is just like posting my required reading list for Feb, because I'm picking a specific theme this time around - actually, for the first time, hehe. Will post my list later when I finally get hold of all the books that's in it. :D

DARDENITAAA: Oooh, The Marriage Plot! You can't go wrong with Eugenides, although this one isn't exactly the romantic novel as befits the love month. But sure, there's an element of love in it, so yay! I shall wait for your thoughts on the book. :)

message 18: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2436 comments I watched "A Little Bit of Heaven" kagabi on Star Movies. Sa commercial I saw their movie line-up ng February called "The Anti-Valentines movement". Haha! wala lang, natawa lang ako. Puro action movies na walang pakialam sa romance, hihi.

okay then. i have yet to post my February required reading, but the books i intend to read are:

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg Every Day by David Levithan

ebooks pa lang yan, wala pa ung actual books :) love is in the air!

message 19: by AennA (last edited Jan 31, 2013 09:31PM) (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments I went through my physical TBR books, and found out that I only have two books that could fit in this challenge. Good thing I have e-books! :))

For February my must-reads are:

1. The History of Love  by Nicole Krauss The History of Love - Now reading.
2. Songs of Love and Death All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love (Kushiel's Legacy #1.5; Phèdre's Trilogy, #1.5; The Dresden Files, #11.5) by George R.R. Martin - Songs of Love and Death
3. Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart - Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel
4. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith - The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
5. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green- Abundance of Katherines

I can't wait to see what others will read, and get "recommendations" from their list. :D

message 20: by Onie (new)

Onie Tadlas (sukaiburu) | 2 comments Tina wrote: "Here are the books I'll read for this challenge (which is also a part of my February Required Reading):

* Every Day by David Levithan (buddy read!)
* Fourteen Love Stories - reading this one not j..."

Fourteen Love Stories is one my favorite books! I hope you'll love it too! :D

message 21: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Phoebe wrote: "I'm in :)

-Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner
-Double Love by Francine Pascal"

Vaclav and Lena! I just read it last month it is just so beautiful! Enjoy reading, Phoebe! :)

message 22: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments kung romcom movies, ano yung pinaka ultimate na irerecommend ninyo?
sa akin ito: Sassy Girl, yung korean ha. tapos andyan yung Ever After ni Drew Barrymore. Syempre sa Pinoy, One more chance!
Sa books? Puro Mina Esguerra mga nabasa ko na about love.

message 23: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Jan 31, 2013 07:34PM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2049 comments I would love to join but I don't know what to read.

Anyone know any romance book that isn't honeymoon-y, melodramatic, chic-flicky, happily ever after kind of stories? Just a story of two people that happens to be in love? Something that would make you reflect but is not too dramatic or deep. Just the right amount of le sigh-ness?

To give you a clue... some "romantic" movies that I liked: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Once(which I watched not only once. :P), Before Sunrise/Sunset, Lost in Translation, (500) Days, Like Crazy, etc.

Or it could be not all about love. It could be about someone's story which happens to have finding-love part in it? Kind of like Lars and the Real Girl, Amelie, Ruby Sparks, Castaway on the Moon, Silver Linings Playbook, etc...

Sorry for being too picky on this. It's the love month so I will try to read something I would most probably like and avoid anything that I will most probably dislike. Hope someone could help! :)

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Aaron: Off the top of my head: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It doesn't concentrate on romance but there is romance and I think you'll like the story.

I can't remember if The Lover's Dictionary got passed onto you, but that's another one too.

I will try to be helpful, Aaron. Haha. I will get back to you with other titles :D

message 25: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Hi Aaron! Maybe you should try Vaclav and Lena. It falls rightly (I think) on your requirements: not too honeymoon-y, melodramatic, chic-flicky, happily ever after kind. But yes, it still has that right amount of lovely sigh. :D

message 26: by AennA (last edited Jan 31, 2013 07:53PM) (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments I am sure to go after those books that will be recommended to Aaron. :)) Those kinds of "romance" are my kind of stories to read, it's just for this month, Imma do something different. :P

(500) Days of Summer and Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind are the most watched discs of mine!

message 27: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2049 comments Yes. I've read it during our trip years ago. I think I gave it a three. Didn't like it much. Stargirl was actually on my upon-consideration. :)

Lynai: Thanks! Will check it out.

message 28: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Tina, how could you do this to me? huhuhu
Love for the love month, when I'm loveless? *sobrang creys*

message 29: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments AENNA: Yay to 500 Days of Summer!!! I also love the soundtrack! <3

For this challenge, I will include two books, which are also in my February Required Reading list:

My Imaginary Ex by Mina V. Esguerra
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

I also want to read A Visit from the Goon Squad or A Northern Light but I don't know which of them falls under this month's theme. Can somebody give me an idea which among these two has romance/love story in it? Thanks! :)

message 30: by AennA (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Lynai wrote: "AENNA: Yay to 500 Days of Summer!!! I also love the soundtrack! <3"

YES! <3 <3 L.O.V.E <3 <3 (ok. enough na ako. OT / Trolling)

message 31: by Zeee (last edited Jan 31, 2013 08:30PM) (new)

Zeee  (I Heart Romance & YA) (iheartromanceandya) Here's my pick :)

Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton
The Importance of Being Wicked by Victoria Alexander
My Fair Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #1) by Tracy Anne Warren
By Love Unveiled by Sabrina Jeffries

message 32: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments meron bang tipong one day read lang? maiiksi lang.

message 33: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Ranee wrote: "meron bang tipong one day read lang? maiiksi lang."

Mina V. Esguerra books! :)

message 34: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments hehehe. natapos ko na yung 4. love your frenemies na lang ang hindi.
love ko din ang OST ng 500 days!

Aaron, i think you would like Ang Nawawala. I love the soundtrack too.

message 35: by Cary (new)

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments Lynai wrote: "Ranee wrote: "meron bang tipong one day read lang? maiiksi lang."

Mina V. Esguerra books! :)"

Yup,and other summit books. :)

message 36: by Cary (last edited Jan 31, 2013 09:24PM) (new)

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments Here's my list:

1. Vince's Life
2. From This Day Forward
3. The History of Love
4. This Lullaby
5. Northanger Abbey
6. Atonement

I want to have a romcom movie marathon too. any recommendations?

message 37: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Ninang Louize: Awww *hugs* You're not loveless! Love transcends distance! And you have us. *hugs again* :)

Ranee: Summit is releasing Mina's Interim Goddess of Love soon :) Super bilis lang nun. Also, Aaron, I think you may like that one among all Mina's books, if only for the Philippine mythology angle.

As for other Summit books - I like Marla's latest one, From This Day Forward.

Lynai: A Northern Light has shades of romance but not too typical :)

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Patrick: sabi ko na tinatago tago mo lang yan eh. Haha!

Aaron: isa pa pala. If you would give Dessen a chance, baka pwede sayo yung This Lullaby. Out of all her books, this one has the least timid main character. :)

message 39: by Cary (last edited Jan 31, 2013 09:20PM) (new)

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1369 comments Patrick wrote: "Tamang tama. One of my secret (not anymore) reading goals this year eto, for Feb. I was lurking at the Dessen buddyread thread. Hehe. Ang haba na agad ng thread ha. Will read all the posts later. B..."

haha, natatawa ako! so you're gonna read this lullaby na and join the club buddies?

message 40: by Monique (last edited Jan 31, 2013 09:26PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2113 comments COUSIN AARON: Agree on Stargirl. Para maging dalawa agad ang nasa list mo, idagdag mo na rin yung Love, Stargirl. Heee. :D

At para maginG tatlo na, read Mina's Love Your Frenemies! I think that, among all of her works, eto yung mage-get mo, alam mo yun? Heee again. :D

message 41: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2436 comments Louize: hugs to you! you are never loveless, dear. :)

Cary: any romcom with Ashton Kutcher on it will do. it never fails on me. hahaha!

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Cary wrote: "Here's my list:

1. Vince's Life
2. From This Day Forward
3. The History of Love
4. This Lullaby
5. Northanger Abbey
6. Atonement

I want to have a romcom movie marathon too. any recommendations?"

NORTHANGER ABBEY!!!!!!! ♥

message 43: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 149 comments Biena wrote: Wait. Wait. Inumpisahan ko yang Double Love last week pero nasa page 1 pa lang ako. Kaya pala! M..."

gusto ko sana pero erratic kasi akong magbasa, minsan hindi ko mameet ang scheduled chapters hehe

message 44: by Alexa (last edited Jan 31, 2013 10:10PM) (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments *gets out of hibernation*

GUYS I am officially book pushing Cyrano De Bergerac. It's not your typical love story! It's a play so it's short and it's so beautifully written. It's not really a happy ending, or maybe it is, but sigh. Feels.

If you don't mind a premise, it's basically (view spoiler) SO YES PLEASE READ IT hihi THANKS ^__^

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Phoebe wrote: "Biena wrote: Wait. Wait. Inumpisahan ko yang Double Love last week pero nasa page 1 pa lang ako. Kaya pala! M..."

gusto ko sana pero erratic kasi akong magbasa, minsan hindi ko mameet ang schedule..."

Actually, ako din. HAHAHA.

message 46: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2049 comments Mommy Louize: *sends virtual hugs*

Cousin Monique: Noted. If I liked Stargirl, I would definitely read the next one. Wala na bang iba? Something not YA? Something I haven't heard of yet? Yung tipong the highlight of the book are the characters and the love angle is only a backdrop of their story? Yep. That pretty much sums up what I'm looking for. A romance book with the characters as the highlight and the romantic theme only serves as a backdrop.

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath (Kathleesi) | 5 comments Challenge Accepted :D i'm currently reading Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkelesi'll send my list later :)

message 48: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2113 comments Cousin Aaron: Hmm. When you said "something not YA" I immediately thought of Memoirs of A Geisha but of course, you've heard of that before.

I'll explore my shelves and try to come up with some titles that fit your requirement. :)

message 49: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2436 comments *clueless on what to reco to Aaron*

eto na lang, some kind of twisted love? infatuation? obsession?

Heartsick (Gretchen Lowell, #1) by Chelsea Cain

hehehe, at least my heart sa title. why not db.

message 50: by Alona (new)

Alona (MissieAlona) | 231 comments Is Why We Broke Up counted? Wala lang. Yun gusto ko basahin for Valentine's week eh. =)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.