Freestyle Readers Club discussion

Reviews > Water For Elephants?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Who has read this book, or is currently reading it?

I got it from the library yesterday and started reading it last night...so far I'm on about the 5th chapter and LOVING it so much!!

I love that it's an old man who is remembering his circus days like it was yesterday, just because the circus is setting up across the road. I find it all so intriguing...

What did you think of it, if you've read it? And is it on your to-read list, if you haven't?

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I read it in late 2007. I really loved it! One of my favorite books.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments I read it right after Christmas, and loved it. Its now on my list of favorites. The traveling circus is a unique setting for a novel and I adored the old man, Jacob. The ending is great, and I think a nice way to resolve the events of the novel.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric I've noticed this book is talked about a lot in the different groups. If it is that popular it must be good. It is on my list to read next.

message 5: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) I started reading this book and as I said on another group message board, I can't really get into it. I do like that the old man is remembering his past and that's basically the story, but there are parts that are moving way to slow for me.

I want to go back and finish the book, and eventually....I will.

message 6: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Oh, Jodie...you HAVE to finish it. I think it really picks up right where you left off, lol!

I just finished reading it and it is seriously one of my FAVORITE books. LOL, seems most books I read get added to that list...but I really, really loved it!

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric I just finished this book and I have to agree, it was very good. The author definitely did her research and the story was very engaging. If you haven't checked this book out, you should. Great book!

message 8: by Diane (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:44AM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi all - I realize there hasn't been a post here in quite awhile, but I will be starting Water for Elephants over the weekend. I'll post back after finishing!

message 9: by Meghann (new)

Meghann Hi everybody! I just joined this group and goodreads. I look forward to getting book suggestions from you all. I read Water for Elephants for my book club. I wasn't thrilled to read it, but ended up loving it.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi everyone - I just started Water for Elephants. I think the writing is excellent, especially Jacob speaking in the present. These parts are really touching, albeit in a sad, somewhat lonely way. I read the part about Barbara, the show that only men were allowed to see...what a riot - what a visual !

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 8 comments One of my friends recommended this book to me.
I guess it's going to be my next victim.