Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Man robs repair shop while picking up car

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wi...

From AP:
YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Authorities said a man who was picking up his car from a repair shop pulled out a handgun while paying and robbed the business of about $500 in cash. The Ann Arbor News reported the 24-year-old fled in his car Friday from the shop in Washtenaw County's Ypsilanti Township, about 30 miles west of Detroit. Sheriff's deputies caught him shortly afterward.

The man, who had dropped off the car Wednesday for repairs, was taken to jail.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Just goes to show that criminals are quite often not the smartest of people.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Um, how stupid do you have to be? Clearly they'd have his address, credit card info, license plate number, etc.

message 4: by Félix (last edited Mar 16, 2009 02:28PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's like something Earl and Randy Hickey might do.

[image error]

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Did you know that the average bank robber only gets about $700 and the average jail time is 26 years. So not worth it.

message 6: by Heidi (last edited Mar 16, 2009 02:53PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Hmmm... I don't know about the criminal demographic, but I can say that we're doing a behavioral/sociological study on delay discounting reinforcers in the drug dependent (link to article has a great definition of DD and keywords).

Given hypothetical scenarios, participants are asked would they take (smaller amount) of money/drugs now or (larger amount) of money/drugs later (i.e. $100 now/$100 in pills or $500/$500 in pills a week from now/a month from now/6 months/a year/5 years/10 years/25 years from now). Two things stand out in research on this up to date - money holds less value than the drugs. Now holds more value than later.

I have a feeling that would factor in with the decision to do something that clearly makes no sense to you and me (like robbing the auto repair shop where you'd just had your car serviced).

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i've been robbed in several auto repair shops just no gun was used

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'd laugh, but it hurts too much...

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thank you jackie (i think)

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We had a bank robber nearby in a similar situation a couple years back. He came into the bank in his small town, knew all the tellers, got the money, and went to Wal-Mart, where he was arrested. Genius.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin, I think we all know what you mean...and we probably all know how that guy felt too.

We had a guy rob our 24 hour Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins last winter just after a snow storm. They were able to follow his footsteps three blocks to a house in the neighborhood and arrest him.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments MOST of these robbers would lose on jeopardy to forrest gump and lloyd christmas

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

The convenience store next to where I work got robbed a year ago, and our guys were working with the garage door open that looks out onto the gas pumps, and when I came back with the police officer to see if any of them saw anything, they all responded no, but that there was a great looking girl pumping gas at the time. The fricking robber probably walked past them twice and they saw nothing but the lady pumping gas. I still shake my head at that.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments was she hot jim?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish I could tell you.

message 16: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Heidi, that study sounds like the one they did with marshmallows and toddlers.

You can have one marshmallow now, or you have to wait 15 minutes and you can have two.

My response was always, ahem, "Give me all the frickin' marshmallows now, or the teddy bear gets it!"

message 17: by Heidi (last edited Mar 19, 2009 07:11AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments A study on behavioral economics in the drug dependent is actually pretty interesting stuff... more recently, the focus in addictions research seems to be giving more attention to this.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments On a related note, http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cust...

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Two robbers leaving a Milwaukee jewelry store with cash and gems didn't get far with the loot — another group of thieves robbed them as the pair left the crime scene.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I laughed my ass off when I heard this this morning.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments this is my personal fav stupid robber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTQW_...

message 21: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments On my 'Robber's List of Things To Do':

#3 Have a plan to get out of the store you are robbing.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments On that subject:

Mama mia! Pizza shop manager discovers suspected burglar trapped in oven vent

By Associated Press
8:00 PM EDT, March 23, 2009

DENVER (AP) — The manager of a Blackjack Pizza outlet in Denver got a start when he discovered a man's legs hanging from a vent above the restaurant's oven. Police said the dangling legs were accompanied by a voice yelling, "help me, help me" Friday morning. Police spokesman Sonny Jackson said the 5-foot-10, 170-pound man told officers and firefighters he'd been stuck in the duct for five or six hours.

Jackson said the man was arrested on suspicion of burglary.

Police haven't identified the suspect or the manager. The store was closed later Friday.

Jackson said the man could have been asphyxiated if the oven had turned on automatically or if the manager hadn't come in early.

message 23: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments "Police said the dangling legs were accompanied by a voice yelling, "help me, help me" Friday morning"

Well then, I'm sure that's a clue right there. 'Cause, if the disembodied voice wasn't yelling "help me", who knows what kind of conclusion they might have come to.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments "Call the police! Call the Vatican! Call the guys who made Spaceballs! A pair of legs has materialized in my shop!"

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Call the guys who made Spaceballs

Heh. Excellent reference, Sarah...

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments uhm, i think the Vatican made spaceballs so you can prob just make 2 calls there