Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Kim Flowers
This topic is about Kim Flowers
Author Interview of the Month > Author Interview with Kim Flowers

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia  | 17307 comments Mod
Okay members, here is our last Author Interview for January. It's with Kim Flowers, author of No Turning Back by Kim Flowers Death Panel by Kim Flowers Amelia's Revolution by Kim Flowers The Divide Book 1 Uprising by Kim Flowers. This is our 44th Author Interview since we started and it is conducted by one of our moderators. Please read this interview and we hope you will be able to pick up lessons about her experience.If there are any questions you would like to ask Kim Flowers please post them here. Thankyou.

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? I got my first book rejection when I was 7 at a Young Author’s Convention for a crudely illustrated anti-Curious George masterpiece! I’ve been obsessed with getting published ever since.

2. How long does it take you to write a book? My first book, “No Turning Back”, took me twenty years! I wrote the first draft when I was 11, and completely rewrote everything at least ten times.  My second book “The Divide: Uprising” went much faster: about six months from first draft to acceptance, with most of the first draft written during Camp NaNo last June.

3. What do you think makes a great story?  I think a great story is well-written, unique, imaginative, and even with the most fascinating plot in the world the reader has to actually care about the characters.

4. What is your work schedule like when you're writing? I work full-time at a desk job and have a wife and 2-year old son. I spend mornings with my family, work second shift, and write at night when everyone else is asleep.

5. How do you balance family and writing?  I try to make sure I spend quality time with my family at the most convenient times for them. Even on weekends I only write when my son is taking a nap or after his bedtime.

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? So far my ideas are metaphors to issues I’ve dealt with in my own life.

7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? I learned I could write different genres besides contemporary.  “The Divide” is dystopia, and I’ve also written a steampunk short story.

8. How many books have you written? Which is your favourite? I’ve written two books so far, and it’s impossible for me to pick a favorite.  “No Turning Back” was literally a lifetime achievement, and “The Divide: Uprising” let’s me know I’m not going to burn out after just one book, especially since there’s going to be a sequel!

9. Are your characters based on anyone you know? Most of them are based on facets of my own personality. I don’t want to completely base characters on people I know and just change their names or something, but I also know that pieces of others around me have inevitably shaped my own stories.  Are my enemies going to become future antagonists?  Maybe the worst ones!

10. Do you have a favourite place you love to write? I write in the living room on my laptop . . . and even though I have a desk I always either lay on the couch or the floor.  I sit at a desk 8 hours a day, and don’t want to go home just to sit at another desk.

11. How hard is it to get published? For me the hardest part was deciding I was ready to submit my work for publication. From the time I began submitting my first book to the time it was accepted was about six months. After multiple agent rejections I found a small publishing company called Queerteen Press and I love it.

12. What do your family and friends think about your books? My family and friends have always been very supportive, even though sometimes I wouldn’t talk about my writing much.  It’s a great feeling to give a family member a copy of the book they used to see me scribbling in a notebook back in middle school.

13. What do you like to do when you are not writing? I listen to music, read, dream of having an actual workout routine again, and spend time with my wife, son, family and friends!

14. Do you have any suggestions to help aspiring writers better themselves and their craft? If so, what are they? First, don’t give up! Second, keep writing!  Learn everything you can, and don’t limit yourself to one outlet for information.  Do your best to be educated, and if you can’t attend traditional college, take an online writing course.  Read “how-to-write-a-book” books and join a writing group—either in person or online.  Also, read a wide variety of other books, especially in the genres you like to write best.  If you’re having trouble getting projects finished, start with a short story, then move onto a novel.  Get that first draft written instead of spending all your time editing.  Finally, do research on agents, marketing, small publishing companies, self-publishing, and the big houses to see what might work best for you. 

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? A writer!  I also wanted to play the drums in a rock band, and while I was a member of a couple garage bands, I never made it to the top. 

16. What are your favourite books and which authors inspire you? Right now the authors who inspire me most are Suzanne Collins, Kady Cross, Frederick Douglass, Alex Haley, Homer, Aldous Huxley, Barbara Kingsolver, Harper Lee, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Anne McCaffrey, Anne Moody, George Orwell, Ayn Rand, Anne Rice, J.K. Rowling, Veronica Roth, and Louis Sachar.  I’ve also been inspired by indie writers/authors Gale Haut, Louise Hughes, Kaycee Looney, Donovan Lord, Liz Penn, Kelly Said, Lydia Sharp, Terri Rochenski, and Paul Swearingen.

17. For an aspiring writer what do you feel are certain do's and don’ts for getting their material published? Don’t Give Up.  Do Be Patient. Don’t Ignore Opportunities To Improve. Do Stay Motivated.

18. What are you working on now? I’m working on my sequel to “The Divide”, subtitled “Unity”. I hope to have it published by the end of this year or the beginning of next.

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia  | 17307 comments Mod
Thank you for doing this interview for our group Kim. Look forward to discovering some of you work :)

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (ReaderMom4) | 5059 comments Mod
Thank you for your interview, Kim! That's incredible that the work for "No Turning Back" spanned 20 years!! Was it a completely different story by the time you were done?

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Bonn | 34 comments A two year old, a full time job and still you get two books out there - well done!

message 5: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Thanks for doing the interview. I'm looking forward to reading your works.

message 6: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 91 comments This was a great interview. I found it touching that you never gave up -- yes, dreams can come true with that kind of determination. ;-)

BTW, in Germany (where I come from), Kim is a girls name, so I was confused when I read you've got a wife. ;-)

message 7: by K.R. (new)

K.R. Elliott (KRElliott) | 5 comments 20 years! That's commitment to your art. The day you held that paperback in your hand for the first time, to see twenty years of work in print, must have been so incredibly rewarding. The determination you have shown is admirable and hopefully inspiring to many a budding author.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 6 comments You almost make me want to dig out that first novel from the bottom of the cardboard box. What a wonderful feeling it must be to have your early writing turn into something worthwhile. You're obviously very talented and dedicated.

message 9: by David (new)

David | 16 comments Enjoyed the interview very much Good for you for sticking with it, believing in yourself and your novels. Best of luck with future writing and book sales!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Flowers | 8 comments Thanks for the comments! Erin, yes the story is thankfully much different from the first draft at age 11, but some of the root elements are still there!

And Katharina, I am a girl, but I do have a wife as well. :-) (OK, it's not legal, but we had a ceremony.)

I'm still a little in shock about this entire experience. But I can definitely say that early writing is never a waste of time. Even if it doesn't end up published, it was practice for the writing that will be.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mullanix (SarahMullanix) | 23 comments Wow, twenty years! Great advice and info in the interview, loved reading more about you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No Turning Back (other topics)
Death Panel (other topics)
Amelia's Revolution (other topics)
The Divide Book 1: Uprising (other topics)