Shut Up & Read discussion

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
This topic is about Warm Bodies
Archives > Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - February

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Feb 12, 2013 04:59PM) (new)

Sheri | 10343 comments Mod
Discuss as you read, but please use SPOILERS for those of us who haven't gotten as far as you!!! (Check out the 'some html is ok' box above the post box for spoiler tags.)

Don't forget to enter the February BotM contest!
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 2: by MaryAnn (new) - added it

MaryAnn (mapally) I'm in. Looking forward to this one!

Stephanie Yay! I'm so excited to read this and can't wait til the movie comes out.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

BONUS! i just got this book!i also cant wait for the movie! :)

Ikao (IkaoDuck) I've read this book, really love it ^^
The naration is so fun to read :)

Lori Watson (LoriWatsonStories) | 8 comments Decided to join in with this for February, downloaded it today, and finished it in a couple of hours. Oops, it's not quite February! I'll try to pop in later in February to chat about it though. :)

message 7: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Yay! I just started reading this! And Sheri is here! B.I.A. On duty:) warm bodies ... Go

message 8: by Solluna (new)

Solluna (sollunaemi) | 7 comments I want this book, maybe now I have an excuse to buy it!

message 9: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Clare wrote: "Yay! I just started reading this! And Sheri is here! B.I.A. On duty:) warm bodies ... Go"

Clare!! I wasn't planning on reading this one, but if you recommend it I will :)

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 163 comments Seen preview for the movie, but I have no idea what it is about LOL see how much attention I pay to the telly.

Might read it, might not havent given much thought to it. Is it worth the read?

message 11: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3850 comments Mod
I saw the movie a month ago and it was great! I am totally in for reading this, this month!

:D

Deborah Sastroredjo (lievedebs) | 67 comments I soooo want to read this book. I even have it sitting there, waiting for me, looking oh so pretty *little droolface* but I am waiting for the movie. I love books and movies and reading the book first I always get mad when watching the movie ^yes weird person^
TT I am so jealous you saw it already!!!

message 13: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

I'm the opposite - If I watch the movie first I have trouble getting through the book and don't enjoy reading it as much.

message 14: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Deborah wrote: "I soooo want to read this book. I even have it sitting there, waiting for me, looking oh so pretty *little droolface* but I am waiting for the movie. I love books and movies and reading the book fi..."

Lol, It was a really fun and goofy movie. It was really cute but for what it was. :D

message 15: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Sheri wrote: "I'm the opposite - If I watch the movie first I have trouble getting through the book and don't enjoy reading it as much."

I am the same way Sheri.

message 16: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) I already own this book & it's just collecting dust. It would be a lot of fun to read it along with a group:) yay

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 163 comments What Sarah, not into the exotic foods? Bizzar Foods that fellah ate I believe goat brains....and he isn't even a Zombie lol

Stephanie Just finished reading this today and I really liked it! Quick read with several laughs :)

Lauryn April (LaurynApril) | 15 comments I just finished reading this, I'll be posting my review of it tomorrow. I really liked it, but I have to say I think the movie looks funnier. The book has it's funny parts, but I think the point of it was more to make you think than to make you laugh.

message 20: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Latimer Shahbaz wrote: "What Sarah, not into the exotic foods? Bizzar Foods that fellah ate I believe goat brains....and he isn't even a Zombie lol"

Exotic foods, omg, lol. I want to read this so bad! I'm following the author on twitter and he's awesome!

message 21: by Emily (last edited Feb 09, 2013 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily (mejella) | 31 comments i thought about reading it, but i haven't even bought it yet soo.... maybe now i will! though there are no decent bookstores in norway, so i'll have to order it, and then it can take up to two weeks at most to get it, and one week if i'm lucky ://

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

i just finished reading this book and was pleasantly surprised, it just goes to show that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or in this case story. I saw the movie previews and at first thought it was stupid. Now after reading it, it has become one of my favorite books. i wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.

message 23: by Emily (last edited Feb 16, 2013 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily (mejella) | 31 comments I ordered it today! :)

Tracey (addicted_to_reading) i don't think i'll be able to read it this month because there's a waiting list for it at the library but i did see the movie and it was awesome.

message 25: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Don't forget to enter the February BotM contest!
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 26: by Shahbaz (last edited Feb 12, 2013 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 163 comments About half way through and I've realized something, this is a spin on Romeo and Juliet, with zombies...very creative indeed -.- I will continue to the end though, see how it all plays out.

EDIT:
Ok, so i've read a bit farther, and well I'm ok with this story, it's not great, but it's not bad either.

I like the little spin on the classic tale of zombies. Nothing can stay the same forever. EVOLUTION, the Zombies of this story are nothing like the classic mindless corpses we are use to. These zombies are evolved, no longer wandering around with one purpose,"fresh-meat", but they are looking for something more. I'm a fan of the classic zombie structure, but this is something different. I liked the Dying To Live series by Kim Paffenroth because of the way the zombies started to evolve. And well I guess that could be a saving grace for this story for me.

EDIT 2:
Finished the book, my feelings now -FACEPALM- Why on why did my wife want to see this movie, and why oh why is it a BoTM read.

I cannot say the the book was absolutely horrible, after all there is a moment when i'm laughing my ass off and a shot out to dawn of the dead escalators haha loved it...

Who falls in love with a zombie? I don't care how different it seems it's still a walking decomposing stinky corpse, atleast to our understanding vampires dont stink or rot until death, true death. I cannont grasp a zombie love story, it is just too over the top, even for me.

Not a bad rendition of Romeo and Juliet to a certain degree, then again i never liked romeo and juliet, so piss is still piss in the end i suppose.

message 27: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia (alyssiarowan) | 2466 comments Mod
Shahbaz wrote: "About half way through and I've realized something, this is a spin on Romeo and Juliet, with zombies...very creative indeed -.- I will continue to the end though, see how it all plays out.

EDIT:
..."

Funny that you compared it to Romeo and Juliet, since Shakespeare is loved precisely because he can tell us something about the human condition which is what this book was about too.

Who falls in love with a zombie? I think that is answered by free will. Who falls in love?

Jenelle I'm kinda with Shahbaz on this one. A zombie love story? Pretty ridiculous.
I was leery going in, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I thought the narrative style saved it, as the plot was a little meh. The narration helped keep the story interesting and light. But ya, a zombie love story is a little over the top for me.

message 29: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenelle wrote: "I'm kinda with Shahbaz on this one. A zombie love story? Pretty ridiculous.
I was leery going in, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I thought the narrative style saved it, as the plot was ..."

Then I would suggest reading "The New Hunger" (the prequel). It has no love story to speak of, and demonstrates, perhaps better than Warm Bodies, the philosophical underpinnings of the zombie infestation story.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Alyssia wrote: "Jenelle wrote: "I'm kinda with Shahbaz on this one. A zombie love story? Pretty ridiculous.
I was leery going in, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I thought the narrative style saved it, ..."

I really wanted to read that book and the movie was just so funny and romantic :)

Grace I loved it. I didn't know what to expect from it, but I read it in two days I couldn't put it down. I had to know what was going to happen. R's monologues were interesting, although maybe too excessive, although I suppose the point was the zombie perspective.
I wanted more explanation as to why R was different and what exactly was changing, but I suppose the author purposely left that up for some interpretation. Was it love? Human interaction? Magic? Who the heck were the boney guys? Evil? Laziness? I don't know, I'm a little lost on that. I think I got the author's main ideas but there was a lot of confusing inclusions.
The love story was very interesting and original, the characters were great (I especially love the interactions between R and M), and what a cool idea to have it from the zombie perspective. Can't wait to see the movie.

message 32: by Alyssia, Pony Power (last edited Feb 22, 2013 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

IMO:
I know a lot of people will disagree, which is cool, just don't hate me :)
I saw the movie with my husband yesterday and it was ... awful. Absolutely atrocious. The worst movie I have seen in probably seven or eight years. Sitting through an hour and forty minutes felt like ... hell.
I loved the book.
And I think Nicholas Hoult is adorable, so that was a plus going in.
But, ohmygod, it was awful.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this because it was ridiculous. A zombie love story. I had to read that! I never, never, thought I was going to fall in love with it myself but I did. I do have to say I liked the first half better than the second. I loved R. And I loved his quest to be human again. But something got lost, imo, when it became a love story. I just never connected to Julie, or any of the 'living' characters, like I did with the zombies. I thought for the most part though, that it was a sweetly funny book with a good message. I do not think of the zombies here as being undead - they're unliving and that was a difference that honestly touched me on some level. This strange book that I read for a good laugh.

Tracey (addicted_to_reading) so i actually did get to read this book and it was amazing. it's a great book about a man who just trying to find himself. at least that's what i got out of it.

Deborah Sastroredjo (lievedebs) | 67 comments I finally watched the movie and then read the book. I liked both, but it was a little bit strange how the movie was almost like a comedy while the book was more serious. I liked them both and the little comedic romance in the movie a little more (yes, gasp in horror!), but the book was fine. Was it a little different? Yes, but I like it. A little out of the box thinking. Yes for me, on the book and the movie

unread topics | mark unread