Books About Sports discussion

Novels about football

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Conrad (new)

Conrad | 4 comments Mod
Any good ones out there? The only one I've read is End Zone by Don DeLillo, and that was only OK.

The nonfiction seems a lot better, like The Blind Side. At least there's more of it. Or is there? Suggestions?

message 2: by Patrick (last edited Jan 10, 2008 11:24PM) (new)

Patrick | 8 comments Have you tried Semi-Tough by Dan Jenkins? I haven't read it yet, but I've read a bit about Sports Illustrated and its writers back in the first decades of the magazine. What I've read makes Dan Jenkins out to be SI's most talented writer and this book is supposed to be his masterpiece. It'a apparently very funny, too. It's the only fictional football book I've ever heard good things about.

If you're interested, I liked David Halberstam's book on Bill Belichick. It is most regrettable that Halberstam's not around anymore to put out a updated edition that covers the Patriots "p*rf*ct season." I'd like to see what information Halberstam would uncover about that whole videotaping thing from the Jets game this year, and whether it was something that helped the Pats all along. I didn't buy into the idea it was a serious matter until I started hearing that the Eagles defensive players think it may have been used against them in the second half of Super Bowl XXXIX.

Best football book I ever read is the David Maraniss biography of Vince Lombardi. The title is WHEN PRIDE STILL MATTERED. A superb biography, one of my favorites.

message 3: by Conrad (new)

Conrad | 4 comments Mod
Haven't read any of those. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not sure I could spend enough time in Bill Belichick's company, much as I admire his accomplishments. Even with Halberstam running interference, watching B. try to be a person, with regular feelings and desires, can be painful.

I've never heard of Jenkins or Semi-Tough. Will research.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 8 comments Actually, Bill B's story is really good, and he overcame a lot of odds and the shadow of Bill Parcells to get to where he is today. If looked at as a redemption tale, perhaps even a Pat-hater might enjoy it.

I find the Patriot hating so amusing, but then you New Yorkers are good with the Beantown derision, as a result of Yanks-Sox and then Mets-Sox clashes. I'm it's not hard to transfer those feelings to football.

Having gone to school in Boston, I find it so amusing that the rest of the country views the Pats with such disdain as well. As an upstate New Yorkers by birth and childhood and thus a Buffalo Bills fan I'm pretty neutral on hating most pro football sports teams (except the detestable Cowboys - may they lose lose lose this weekend!). But the Pats hate these days is really something else.

I recall that back in the early 90's the Patriots were definitely a team #3 in a four team town (way behind Red Sox and Celtics, neck and neck with Bruins) and they weren't that far from being dead last in rooting interest and newspaper coverage. The rest of the country barely knew they existed. How things have changed.

message 5: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Here is a link to Internet Movie Database's page about the Burt Reynolds/Kris Kristofferson movie of Dan Jenkins's novel:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078227/

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 1 comments I haven't read it, but I think North Dallas Forty by Peter Gent is considered a classic of the genre. I'd like to read it. Dallas Cowboys in the 70's -- man, those were some tough sombitches -- not like the pretty-boy wusses suiting up today.

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 8 comments They were all a lot tougher back then. Some of those who played on the Steeler teams in the 70's were downright scary looking.

Good on you for mentioning North Dallas Forty. I had forgotten that one.

message 8: by J.C. (new)

J.C. At the moment all I can think of is Mike Lupica's BUMP and RUN which is kinda funny. Its about a guy from Vegas who "gets things done" who has a father that owns a football franchise. when the father dies, the kid inherits the team and hilarity ensues. Also check out Harlan Coben's DEAL BREAKER which isn't exactly about football but is the first book in a series of mysteries starring wise cracking Sports Agent Myron Bolitar.